Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

minormadmaniac Avatar
minormadmaniac Jacob Vipperman
Christchurch, New Zealand   NZL
I understand you may hate me for wanting to put a piece of American engineering in a British car. That's understandable, although what would a purist be doing here?

Anyway, I want to get a Tremec T56 6 Speed transmission and fit it to a Minor. I plan on changing the diff, axles, etc, but keep the Morris engine. Has anybody here ever used a T56 in a Minor? I understand it'll be a lot of fabrication, but I think it'll be worth it for more shifting, higher speeds and for the possibility of more power without breaking any stock components.

It'll allow me to build the stock A series engine to have plenty of power, or to swap in a Chevy small block if so desired. I do love a thumpin' V8 with a big fat cam and a loud exhaust!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 04:43 PM by minormadmaniac.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
neatwheels Jim Harrell
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
My question is why? By comparison the t56 is enormous compared to a 5spd, massive adapter engineering, heavier, and that poor little engine is going to struggle at best.
I have built lots of Morris and it's going to be beyond a challenge.
If your going to put a V8 in front, a different story.

minormadmaniac Avatar
minormadmaniac Jacob Vipperman
Christchurch, New Zealand   NZL
The idea was to increase power from the A series (mainly by increasing comp ratio and porting the head and doing valve work) and swap in an SBC later.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ignatzcatz Avatar
ignatzcatz graham kerr
Broadbridge Heath, UK   GBR
I didn't have a six speed but I did run a 5 speed Toyota box behind my A series using an Aussie adaptor, but I wanted more grunt so I fitted in a modified MGB lump and overdrive gearbox into my Minor. However I always wanted to slot in a V8 but this guy was desperate for me to sell the Minor to him, which I did at a vast profit with the intention of doing the 'Big Hot Rod Build' on another Minor. I'm still looking for a suitable candidate but if you do go down this route you are going to need some good welding and fabrication skills or a lot of nice buddies. Basically keep the body and junk All the rest. It must have a real beefy chassis, 2 x 4 front to back, narrowed 9" Ford rear end, Heidts Mustang front suspension, fortunately because everybody is using LS7 power it seems, small block Chevys are cheap as chips and you can bolt anything onto the back of them. Without much effort you can have 350/400hp and in the small wheelbase Minor will give you one very wild ride. Do it and let's have some pics.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links