Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Graham. Must be a new driveway. No oil spots! yawning smiley)

Mark C. The MO axle casing is one size larger than the MM axle so you'd need to use all of it. The axle shafts etc are bigger diameter so I'm thinking that the diff components might not be interchangeable. I have one here, if you need any photos/dimensions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tallong, NSW, Australia   AUS
They go to the heater.
I’m not sure how you’d go with the diff out if a Morris Oxford. They are a bigger car with a wider track. I doubt that any jfvthe internal components would fit in a minor diff. Not that I’ve ever pulled apart the early diff.
I’m also not sure that even with every tweak under the sun a side valve engine would cope with that much faster diff ratio. Even the 1100 only went to 4.22. And they were 50hp.
Without fitting a blower or turbo I don’t think you’d ever pull that much out of a side valve engine. I guess you can only but try.
By the by, if anyone is interested. I do have some of those aluminium heads in raw cast form. Currently at machine shop getting holes drilled etc. so hopefully available soon. Not genuine Kleinig heads. I understand Daniel Kleinig has some of those if you want the real thing. Certainly still owns the pattern to knock up some more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 11:10 AM by Agent00Nothing.

MarkMG60 Mark Collins
Medowie, Australia   AUS
Hi, Thank's for the diff information Rob, i can stop looking for 4.1 ratio gears and start looking for some 15 inch wheels that fit instead. I think tr3 wheels at 4 inch wide wold look good with appropriate hub caps. Guy have you an electric pump in line with your heater? How do you get enough flow for it to work?
Mark.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
If you increase wheel size in search of higher gearing
you reduce braking by the same proportion Sir sad smiley

Your solution is to increase wheel cylinder size by the same proportion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 01:10 AM by 0123.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Kia, Honda and Hyundai use the 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern along with Stag, MGB, 240Z, etc

Yes has an electric water pump fitted.
Why do you want a faster diff ratio? Or bigger wheels? If you have the side valve diff then you have very limited options on different rims due to the wheel stud spacing.
I also don’t understand why you would want bigger rims or faster diff of you are playing around with a side valve motor.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Austin Cambridge 14 inch rims have a smaller centre hole than the MM but the correct spacing. They come in 4 and 4.5 inch widths. MG Magnette are an option in 14 and 15 inch but have extra holes in the centres for ventilation, like the modern Honda/Hyundai wheels. 4/44 wheels have the right shape, have the same shape centres, the correct bolt pattern but are 15 inch.

MarkMG60 Mark Collins
Medowie, Australia   AUS
Hi , yes Mike I realize braking will be reduced but only by 4 or 5% max. I like the skinny wheel, tire look so those suggestions are out. Don't get me wrong I don'd mind revving old cars flat out for miles on end but being in the process of building another motor i'm finding parts very rare and very expensive as well as having a tight budget due to having too many cars that must share the money. I've dismantled 3 side valve motors after parts and they have all been completely knackered so i'd like to keep the piston speed down if possible. They do have a 90 mm stroke after all. Puts a lot of strain on the 70 year old hens teeth crank. I'v got many light weight engine bits in my new engine so it will have an easier time. Rarely do you see an engine build for these motors so i'll start one up but i'm only a novice with this engine. Hopefully I'll get some feed back.
Mark.

I Have rebuilt several over the past couple of years. The crank has quite large journals so can cope with quite a bit. Bearings available new. Have some sets here in various sizes.
But more to the point. Being side valve they really don’t rev that hard 4000 is about all they will do. As the side valve engine doesn’t neath too good at high revs.
More to the point. You don’t have a lot of power there, even with a mazengarb head. You would have about 35 hp. The poor old thing will be struggling everywhere and running out of legs. The slightest grade tests the old side valve motor out with speed dropping off. As it is with the 4.55 diff ratio. Give it a faster diff or bigger wheels and its going to be struggling to pick up speed. Let alone maintain it
I don’t know why you would want a faster diff you really don’t have the power to pull it. As I’ve previousjy stated, the 1100 went to 4.22 and that had 50hp. The side valve has 27-29hp. Depending who you talk to. With all the bolt on tweaks keeping it in side valve form I think we got 33hp out of it. While quite an improvement percentage wise. It’s not going to buy you enough power to consider a quicker diff or bigger wheels.
I live in rural NSW and usually drive mine to the floor or certainly quite hard for several hours at a time. Having traveled to Wellington and Melbourne not to mention 700km same day round trips.
When it hits a hill it needs every gear it can get. At times I’ve had to do a quick change and get it into first to get up some hills.

MarkMG60 Mark Collins
Medowie, Australia   AUS
HI. These little fellers rev pretty well Guy . max power is at 4400 revs, 60 would have to be near 5000 revs, and like you, I'd like to sit on 60, 65 which should be achievable. Rob I'v given up on 4\40 , magnette wheels, too hard to come by that are any good, but thanks for your thoughts. Actually did Aus get the 4/40?
Thanks Mark.

I hate to disalusion you Mark. But the gearing on a low light / side valve Morris minor is 4.55:1 which gives you 15mph per 1000 rpm. Which incidentally is the same ratio as used on the 1000.
Therefore 60mph is 4000 rpm. To get anything more that that you need twin SU and extractors.
Perhaps you are confused with the diff ratio on the series II which is 5.29 from memory.

0123 Mike D
Do you mean you think the max possible speed in a standard sidevalve Minor is 60mph please Guy?

That’s quite right. A shade over 60mph is all they will do in standard form. A little more than that may show on your speedo depending on its accuracy.
To get 75mph you have to do a bit of tuning. As the side valve motor does not breathe well, all those twists and turns for the air to get in and away, plus the compromise on compression ratio vers valve to head clearance and port opening into the combustion chamber.
As a lot of side valve heads are now cracked they struggle to even maintain 60mph.
I have several low lights. Two of which are on the road. One as a daily driver the other on club rego.

Attachments:
CA76EAD7-1A5A-43BD-85EA-78566284B4BB.jpeg    76.9 KB
CA76EAD7-1A5A-43BD-85EA-78566284B4BB.jpeg

5067E2A5-CF95-4C3C-8E12-05B88CCB5A46.jpeg    34.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
9CF55DAD-73E6-4441-B341-07B46E79E81A.jpeg    82.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0123 Mike D
Thanks Guy thumbs up

MarkMG60 Mark Collins
Medowie, Australia   AUS
HI, thanks Guy for putting me straight, I just measured my tire dia and plugged it into a calculator. 60 is bang on 4000. AT 98 M.P.H as the racing side valve minors did down conrod, they were doing 6500 revs. i'll worry no more. I love your low lights, mine is my favorite car. looks like an mg 1100 there too, i'v got a morris 1100 under restoration at the moment.
Mark.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Morris Minor Series II Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links