Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ste58 Avatar
Ste58 Stephen Hinds
Oamaru, Otago, New Zealand   NZL
Has anyone set up twin carbs on a sidevalve minor? I had thoughts about getting an engineer to combine a Marina twin SU manifold with a minor sidevalve one
Any advice or experienced comments please.
I know there's a Monaro brand twin carb manifold out there, but I believe it's quite expensive.

Stephen Hinds,
Oamaru NZ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
The perceived size of the improvement
is directly proportional to it's cost

As tabulated in
Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

smiling smiley

Kleinmond, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
The Ford aftermarket parts ( Aquaplane ) for their sidevalve engine fits the Minor sidevalve.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Clive is right. Aquaplane inlet and exhaust will help. Alternatively, make your own.

Attachments:
201001191536_P1000196.jpg    40.9 KB
201001191536_P1000196.jpg

DSC01461.jpg    50.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ignatzcatz Avatar
ignatzcatz graham kerr
Broadbridge Heath, UK   GBR
That's a neat motor there Rob, but I can't identify the engine. However 'Aquaplane' is still up and running, new owners though. Google Aquaplane and you'll get all the spec. My old Dad used to be very keen on competition off road hill climbs back in the 60's which were usually based somewhere out in the woods with some incredibly steep and very muddy climbs. You had to ascend these hills without stopping at all. The cars were mostly Ford specials. He had an old Ford Popular 103E and he stripped off the body, narrowed the chassis and bent up and fitted rudimentary alloy bodywork. A real hot rod in it's day. In the search for more grunt to get up the hills he bought some Aquaplane tuning kit from their place in Oulton Broad. Going up to Aquaplane we all became enamoured with the beautiful Norfolk Broads and did in fact have many holidays cruising on the many broads and rivers in this location.
Obviously I'm going back quite a few years but I recall Dad had a few problems getting the little SU carbs running right and eventually resorted to motorbike Amal carbs. I'm only sad that I haven't got any pictures of these events, just the memories.

0123 Mike D
Tell 'im about fiddle brakes Gaffer

thumbs up

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Graham, it is a Morris 918cc Sidevalve but with an Alta head on it.

Here is how I make the manifolds. I used a free CAD program off of the internet, measured out the holes and then got them laser cut. About £25 (30 USD?) each to be cut. The carb flanges are even easier.

Attachments:
cadpics.jpg    29.3 KB
cadpics.jpg

mww6.jpg    48.2 KB
ignatzcatz Avatar
ignatzcatz graham kerr
Broadbridge Heath, UK   GBR
Ah yes the demon fiddle brakes. The old Ford Pop got by with mechanical brakes and the standard handbrake was an umbrella affair situated beneath the dashboard, so it was quite an easy task to rig up two floor mounted, big, handbrake levers with the right lever going to the right rear wheel and the left lever going to, you guessed it, the left rear wheel. This gave the driver a terrific advantage when climbing the hill and having to negotiate a sharp turn usually caused by a tree placed in the middle of the course, one yank on the respective lever made the car slew violently to the left or right as the case may be thus manoeuvring around the obstacle in a very neat and expedient manner. Of course between the competition hills they were great for doing handbrake turns on the grass when I would 'drive' the special sitting on my dads lap. Such practice instilled the nutter element in me from a very early age. Thanks Dad!

And a couple of pics of a late model trials car fully Aquaplane accessorised.

Attachments:
DSCN1319.JPG    51.1 KB
DSCN1319.JPG

DSCN1320.JPG    64.9 KB
0123 Mike D
No independant suspension

confused smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I understood that the rules were you must keep the car moving. Once it stops, your's done. The fiddle brakes were useful when one when started to spin, sort of a manual limited slip differential. So with appropriate application you could send the torque to the wheel with a bit more traction in order to keep moving.

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 28342 by emjay I understood that the rules were you must keep the car moving.
That's necessity not rules

Once it stops, your's done.

The fiddle brakes were useful when one wheel when started to spin, sort of a manual limited slip differential.
Spot on
So with appropriate application you could send the torque to the wheel with a bit more traction in order to keep moving.thumbs up

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Some photos of manifolds. Might help?

Attachments:
gholt3.jpg    63.5 KB
gholt3.jpg

1950-Morris-Minor-Convertible-ALTA-Darring-21.JPG    22.7 KB
tort2.jpg    50.6 KB
altayank2001.jpg    42.1 KB
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
...and some more.

The top photo is a standard inlet cut away from the awful exhaust, welded closed and then the flange changed to fit a 1 1/4 carb instead of the 1 1/8. The port was then cleaned out to give a better flow.

The Alta engine in the bottom pic has come from a Canada Class racer, hence the funny angle for the end of the exhaust.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 05:05 AM by usmh3.

Attachments:
h2mm1.jpg    46.2 KB
h2mm1.jpg

STA70563a.jpg    47.3 KB
rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, IL, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
A friend, now in his '80's, had a 1953 Morris Minor he bought new. In 1954 he ordered a cylinder head and dual carburetor setup from this company. He gave me their brochure, so here is the dual carb setup they were selling.

Attachments:
IMG_0561.JPG    53 KB
IMG_0561.JPG

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
'back in the day' there were various manufacturers who offered twin carb sets up for the Morris 918cc side valve engine.. 'aquaplane' being the most abundant ...'alta' perhaps the second.. who also offered an OHV conversion ...both used the now hard to find H1 carbs.. (1 1/8" choke.. most common application for which was the 'bug eye' Sprite) as to 'why' one would want to do this... given all the options available today to add more power.. it makes zero sense.. side valve engines are notoriously inefficient at burning fuel cleanly and they breath poorly.. the 918cc morris 8 engine dates back to 1931 when it replaced the 847cc OHC unit..it did get an 'upgrade' to replaceable shell bearings for the series E 8 in '46..and ended up in the Minor in '48.. long since 'obsolete' by that time and big let down in an otherwise advanced car . Always a poor compromise as regards adding performance.. when 'others' were hopping up their flatheads in 60;s and early 70's.. I went with a later OHV engine and gearbox as a direct bolt in.... fraction of the time /money /effort.. and a vast improvement .. you can put lipstick on a pig.. its still a pig.. it is possible to get perhaps 40-43 bhp out of the 918cc flathead with serious time consuming and costly tuning....and those tiny rod bearings will crap out pretty fast of you use the 'extra' power ..
twin carb '9CC' 948cc was 42 bhp..the '9CG' ( as used in early Mk2 sprite) is 46 bhp.. stock Morris 1098cc is 48 bhp.. and the 1275,which is both very durable and exceptionally smooth compared to a 1098cc, (and abundant today..hence cheap to source) produces 65 bhp in stock twin carb form.. or about 60-63 bhp with a single 1.5" SU if all within factory specs.... add a supercharger and you can get a reliable 100bhp out of a 1275.. keep oil and water cool, and you can thrash it mercilessly for tens of thousands of miles with no issues whatsoever.. evolution works.. apparently..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Morris Minor Tourer Convertible

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links