Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rix Mory Avatar
Rix Mory Rick H
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
My smoothcase 4 speed is tired, and too hard to find parts for it.
Not much room in the bellhousing bay, cause' of the rack and pinion steering directly above the tiny transmission.
Has anyone tried to put a Tracker/Geo/Sunrunner/Susuki/Asuna 1.6L and 5 speed in a Morris Minor 1000?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
suzuki orphan Roger Dalke
Ferintosh, AB, Canada   CAN
There just isn't room. I was attempting to put a 3cyl turbo Firefly engine and Samurai trans in mine, but the firewall and rack just wouldn't let me. (and it's a lot smaller than the 1.6) I've decided to use a Tracker 2wd frame and complete running gear to modernize the little beast.

suzuki orphan Roger Dalke
Ferintosh, AB, Canada   CAN
I stand corrected! Just down the page a bit there is a very nice Suzuki 1.3 Swift powered convertible. The 1.3 is dimensionally the same as a 1.6. They put the engine at the very front, and the radiator to the side like a Mini. Also upgraded brakes to Suzuki. When there's a will........ smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rix Mory Avatar
Rix Mory Rick H
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
it would be nice to find a North American drive-train, instead of a hard to find Austin one.
I tried to stuff a S-10 5-speed with a Warp-9 E.V. motor in it, but the front of the bellhousing would be plowing the asphalt!
Meantime I found two more cheap smoothcases, and lucky enough to find a chap in England that has parts for them.
'If you can't beat em', might as well join em'

glowworm53 philip soliz
Hello,
I have a 53 series 2 I am going to attempt to put a 2 wd tracker 1.6 with automatic trans in. No bell housing to worry with. Looks like plenty of room. Openly concern is the rear distributer that may interfere with the battery box. Engine block is 17" to front pullys's and 21" with high mounted dist
at rear.
Phil

Rix Mory Avatar
Rix Mory Rick H
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I rebuilt my smoothcase with parts from two other smoothcases, along with new gaskets and bearings mailed in from Moss Motors in the US.
No more rattling or grinding gear noises! Now I'm looking at the pathetically under powered (but reliable) 948cc, to rebuild it next winter.
My book from David Vizard's "Tuning the A-series engine" arrived, and it looks like an inspirational read.
Finding some parts on a budget will be a challenge, though.
Rick....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Morris Mini

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links