need help with my morris minor van

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Gloucester, Gloucester, UK   GBR
Are the bottoms of the B posts flush to the sill?

Most vans had semaphores on an bkt, certainly GPO....when flashing type fitted the 3 holes plugged with rubber grommets...

Have I seen 4dr semaphores on an LCV before(?) ,don't think so....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
So they were externally mounted on trucks since they need to be seen past the box. Previous owner could have spliced it in from a four door. He still would have to source the trafficator itself since they were not use in the States.

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
thankx guys for all your help. hope i can get this car legally registered. but so far nothing seems to pan out. cant find any numbers . going to have to track down previous owners. but at least i know its a 59 or 60 van. thankx rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POMMReg Chris Stevens
In reply to # 19936 by rickrod thankx guys for all your help. hope i can get this car legally registered. but so far nothing seems to pan out. cant find any numbers . going to have to track down previous owners. but at least i know its a 59 or 60 van. thankx rick

Can you trace vehicles by their license plates in the USA?

If you know in what State it was FIRST registered with, you MAY also find the chassis number is recorded.

Here in UK you can get a list of previous keepers by contacting DVLA.

If the previous owner isn't playing ball, would opt for the "custom" route - mention you lost the Vin - and (certainly in the UK) the Bee Gee State should issue the van with a new (prob 17 digit) VIN/ID number.

I'll do some enquiries if you want(?).

Chris

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Here in the States the license plates are not permanent to the vehicle and the rules change from state to state. At one point there were new plates issued every year. Now the the plate is owned by the owner and stays with them and they can transfer it to a new car if they want to, Even if you keep the car, when they decide the plates are getting old or they want to change the design, you will get a new one with a different number. Totally different than England.

POMMReg Chris Stevens
In reply to # 19936 by rickrod thankx guys for all your help. hope i can get this car legally registered. but so far nothing seems to pan out. cant find any numbers . going to have to track down previous owners. but at least i know its a 59 or 60 van. thankx rick

Rick

Can you do a list of colours it has been, and/or owners names and their towns/addresses.

Might have it listed under another of my listings.

Worth a shot!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
For that matter check in with Morris Minor Registry in Ohio. At one point we had 105 vans listed, so the list isn't that long and you can narrow it down to New England.

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Some quoted under engine number.

If you can get an engine no - or better still original rear axle nos. - you've cracked it, just a search through "OE*4's" (Were all N'th America Minor's imported by Inskip?).

As Jim says, try the Minor Registry first.

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
the truck has a inspection sticker on it from maine in 1991i am going to try contacting them to see what they have. thankx guys your help is well appreciated. rick

POMMReg Chris Stevens
In reply to # 19985 by rickrod the truck has a inspection sticker on it from maine in 1991i am going to try contacting them to see what they have. thankx guys your help is well appreciated. rick

Any original paint on it, rear drs,dash,under hood etc, can ID chassis prefix ie "OEB4/" "OEH4" etc, will narrow it down?

Keep us posted!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Doesn't the inspection sticker have the VIN on it? They do in PA so that you can't pull it and put it on another car.

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
If the window glass is original, look for a dot under the word toughened. No dot means the glass and probably the van was built in a year ending zero. If there is a dot count the letters to see which one it is under and that gives you the final number of the year!

Mike414 Michael Endicott
Nadgkovacsi, Hungary   HUN
Hi- Just stumbled across your truck and guess what? I used to own it and did much of the work, except for the Chevy engine and related work. If that's old lacquer paint, I did that too. I live in Hungary and it's late here, (2:00 AM) and was just about to head off to sleep but I will tell you this much: I grew up in North Reading MA, restored the truck at my brother's garage in Middleton back around '78-'79. I know a lot of the history of the truck back to when it was bought new (1960) by a drugstore in Swampscott for a delivery vehicle. If there's no headliner in it, look on the cab roof and you'll see some holes that I welded up where there was a spotlight. I cut the slots for the trafficators that came from a Jag and there are date codes (month and year) on them, I think maybe '52. If there's no interior in the back, there should be grey spatter paint. There was a pretty large hole in the right rear corner that was for a 2-way radio antenna that also got welded up. Brazed, actually. I also used a sedan hood from a parts car that has the 2 molding strips along the sides, the trucks didn't have them. My sister owns a horse farm in Georgetown and she met some guy maybe 10 years ago that was into old Fiats and owned the truck. Might have been you. I'll add lots more to the history tomorrow, gotta go get horizontal. Later, Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links