Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
i bought a morris minor van with a 350 chevy motor pro street full frame . my problem is i dont know what year it is cause there are no vin #s on it and i need to know what year it is so i can find numbers and a registration or title. thankx guys

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Kramer faux emerald necklace 2542.jpg    62.3 KB
Kramer faux emerald necklace 2542.jpg

Kramer faux emerald necklace 2543.jpg    68.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
the chassis number is stamped into the bulkhead just to the right of where the hood release rod comes through. it can be hard to see, but here's a picture showing the number outlined in white. then this site is good for the rest of what you need:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identification.htm

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 09:48 AM by bufferzone.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    42.9 KB
image.jpeg

mr948cc Avatar
mr948cc Dean Merrill
Rohnert Park, CA, USA   USA
It's a 1960 Van....
Dean

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
thankx guys for help but my firewall has been cut out an changed for v8 there are no numbers anywhere. but dean said its a 1960 van so that is where i will start to find vin number plate cause if i can get that can get a title in another state with a bill of sale. so if anyone knows where i can get one please let me know. cause i dont want to sink too much money in it if i cant get it registered. thankx guys and be safe rick

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
if anyone has a vin plate for a morris minor van please let me know. thankx rick

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Gloucester, Gloucester, UK   GBR
In reply to # 19914 by bufferzone the chassis number is stamped into the bulkhead just to the right of where the hood release rod comes through. it can be hard to see, but here's a picture showing the number outlined in white. then this site is good for the rest of what you need:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identification.htm

This is a 1948-65 car location - no good to ID an LCV, Potteries site no good for CKD nor identifing where vehicles were built.

Can narrow chassis nos. down to about 100 via cab number - these were never recorded at Cowley but come in handy in these situations - IF this is missing, you're in the poo...unless you can locate the original drivetrain, rear axle the best as the less likely to be changed.

My advice is find the owner who did the 350cu mod and hopefully get a 948cc drivetrain number - these ARE recorded at Cowley - if you can....problem sorted, I can do a certificate for you.

If no B/head, try NSF engine bay floor under bumper/fender iron.

Chris

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Dean, what is your rationale for 1960? Why not 59?

Rick, What's left? Turn signal? Parcel shelf? Speedo? Those are the only keys for the 57 to 62 vintage. The wipers and the one piece windshield narrows it down to that. Probably the only thing left are the parcel shelf mountings. Basically 59 and newer there would be a threaded hole right at the edge of the door opening about 15 inches off the floor. The earlier ones were attached to a bracket over the recess panel shaped a bit like a kidney. Also do you have a hole in the door post about three inches down from the angle in the door post. This hole was for a courtesy light switch and showed up about 1959.

What did the previous owner planned for a title after all that work? My van was saved from a future of a Ford truck straight six and Corvair front suspension. He cut a chunk out of the bulkhead.

NSF is left front (near side)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 06:31 AM by emjay.

POMMReg Chris Stevens
In reply to # 19924 by emjay Dean, what is your rationale for 1960? Why not 59?

Rick, What's left? Turn signal? Parcel shelf? Speedo? Those are the only keys for the 57 to 62 vintage. The wipers and the one piece windshield narrows it down to that. Probably the only thing left are the parcel shelf mountings. Basically 59 and newer there would be a threaded hole right at the edge of the door opening about 15 inches off the floor. The earlier ones were attached to a bracket over the recess panel shaped a bit like a kidney. Also do you have a hole in the door post about three inches down from the angle in the door post. This hole was for a courtesy light switch and showed up about 1959.

What did the previous owner planned for a title after all that work? My van was saved from a future of a Ford truck straight six and Corvair front suspension. He cut a chunk out of the bulkhead.

NSF is left front (near side)

Additionally, wiper motor bkt, square topped, or with a front fold & hole? Early '59 change, can check glass Triplex codes too.

With a cab number can usually month date it.

Can you get a modern ID from the State, cars in UK - where original ID unknown - are issued with 17 digit chassis numbers by the DVLA, prefix "SABT".... just a thought, certainly enquire about it!!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
"Additionally, wiper motor bkt, square topped, or with a front fold & hole? Early '59 change, can check glass Triplex codes too." I never noticed that one, I'll have to check it out.

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
hi guys thankx for all the information but my car doesn't have turn signal parcel shelf or speedo, the previos owner bought it at a swap meet and stored it for many years. and he is so hard to get ahold of for info. so i am really on my own. the frame on car was fabricated with 9 inch ford rer end tubbed with 29 in wide mickey tompsons, coil over shocks and front has mustang independant with tubular control arms 350 chevy motor turbo 350 tranny. cut firewall with no numbers anywhere.

rickrod Avatar
rickrod Rick Ruscitti
Millbury, MA, USA   USA
my hopes are that someone has a parts van that will sell me the vin tag and i can get it titled here in mass. usa. thankx rick

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
But you should have an undisturbed door post. Look for the 5/16 hole for a light switch and the threaded hole to which the parcel shelf would have been attached. The door light switch hole may have a rubber plug in it.

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Dodgy territory here, "parts van" might be nicked!

As so little is original, can now be classed as "Custom", ideally you'll need a date when work undertaken.

As suggested, do some investigating into its history to find an ID, if no joy, get back to us, we're here to help!!

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
"my hopes are that someone has a parts van that will sell me the vin tag and i can get it titled here in mass. usa."

There are two camps on this issue. I watched a discussion on the AACA forum earlier this year. One side says it's fraud and is just plain illegal and the other side says it's the only way you can get a title. (using another vehicle info) I suggested that the vintage auto community needs to push for a alternative route in which a new title is created clearly indicating that it is a non-original manufacturer title and is created only for older vehicles for an enthusiast's use. This way ANY future buyer is totally aware of the vehicles past and knows what they are buying. Of course any present identification needs to be verified that it is not stolen, but so many possible projects have been off the grid for so long there is no record on file. The procedure here in PA requires a fee to learn the last owner on record (if there is one) and then contacting them (if can be found) to request a duplicate title. There are a lot of if's there. The next avenue to finding a cooperative clerk, but usually help from a legislator is needed and many bucks and you still might not get a title. If successful the history of the car would not be clear to any future buyer. There are some low volume vehicles in which more exist now that were actually built. Many have fraudulent titles, but some may be legit state issued titles. On the other hand there are many cars just like Minors that do not command huge prices. Owners just want to enjoy them.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Chris, I see chrome on his B post indicating trafficators. My 59 to 61 van with an OEH vin number (from memory, I don't have it in front of me) does not have that slot. It's just a wide, raised panel. Was there a change over to eliminate that slot or did CKD trucks not have the slot. This truck does have passenger car bonnet and front bumper so maybe the post has been lifted from a four door.

Someday, I'll collect all my vehicle numbers for you.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Morris Minor Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links