Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
I picked up a NOS swivel pin / stub axle and on getting back home the steering lever is positioned at a different angle than the one that I removed from my Tourer. My original swivel pin has 395 stamped into it (LH by the way) and the only marking I can find on the new one is a cast number of SDF 53. The newer one was purchased by someone while living in the UK and came form a UK vendor. It does have MOWOG cast into it.

How can I verify that the new one will work?

Thanks as always.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 04:49 PM by minimarc.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Does it have both boss cast into it. One of which has the steering arm. The upper boss was used for Riley One Point Five and Wolseley 1500, etc. The second boss was added in 58. Perhaps early production was unique for the B Series engined vehicles.

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
Only one boss in either one. Will try to post pictures soon.

Edit: two bosses with only one opening as shown in Gerard's response below. Sorry for the error.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-09 08:39 AM by minimarc.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Pictures will help. With just one boss it definitely isn't for the vast majority of Minors. It could be an early Minor. Perhaps the 8CWT vans had a unique casting, however, I though the only difference was the steering arm itself.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Kingpins vary. Steering arms are different as well.

Saloons, Traveller, and Tourer -December '53 onwards-
Van and Pickup

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
What do you mean by a boss please confused smiley

pixelsmithusa Avatar
In reply to # 29993 by 0123 What do you mean by a boss please confused smiley

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Attachments:
swivel-pin-leg-king-pin-l-h-mmc-bath-p830540-6268_zoom.jpg    21.6 KB
swivel-pin-leg-king-pin-l-h-mmc-bath-p830540-6268_zoom.jpg

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Thank you Gerard thumbs up

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
With only one boss, that indicates pre-58 production assuming the boss is in the lower location. I see new production of the 8cwt swivel does in fact have two bosses, so it's a possibility that it's the same casting, just machined for a heavier steering arm. Looking forward to the photo.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Did a little researching on the MMOC site and the tidbits I found were:
The very early cars had a smaller steering arm as well as a different stub axle, although the steering arm may have been changed will still in the MM vintage.
The 8CWT swivels are the same casting but machined to accept a larger diameter steering arm taper based on the comments made.

There was some talk about a different swivels that could not be identified over ten years ago, maybe they got passed to you.

This different angle? How much different? Could it be that the arms were installed in the wrong arms and just need to be switched.

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
My conclusion is I have a correct swivel but the steering arm has been put in without a key thus it is at an odd angle.

Now my problem is removing the arm. Normal means have failed thus far. Even using a puller with heat applied has not worked yet. Not worried about destroying the arm since my original one is good.

Getting ready to take to a shop where we can put it in a press and give it a push.

Supplier from UK verifies that the 8CWT uses the same swivel but with a heavier arm. There would be an obvious problem if the wrong arm is tried. NO GO if heavier arm is sourced.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-09 02:36 PM by minimarc.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
That's good news, but was hoping it was from some obscure vehicle made with modified Minor parts. Seems rather silly for someone to tighten the nut without installing the key.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links