MinorForum

Morris Minor Chat

1098cc engine- HELP! HELP! Is this normal?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I'm not clear if you mean the carburetor itself or to the air cleaner. In either case, you'll get very little vacuum draw that way and it will do little to nothing to help with the oil leak.

Yes, the Smiths valve was intended as an early type emission device in the US, but it's a very cleverly designed device that controls the amount of vacuum, unlike typical PCVs.

While Mike's point about drawing crankcase gases has some merit, I believe you indicated that this whole exercise is about reducing oil spillage out the rear main. If that's your goal and you want to succeed with that as much as possible, then you'll need to make that compromise. If not, what you really need is one of my rear main seal kits. This is the only one of its kind that actually works. Don't take my word for it; you can read the attached testimonial by a very experienced engine builder.

In reply to # 29930 by pgp001 Hi Gerard

Not sure what you mean by venting to atmosphere in this case, I was actually planning on connecting the canister to the side of the SU carburettor to get negative pressure to the crankcase.
As far as I understand that's how the very latest UK Minors and Mini's of the same era were set up for breathing, I have been told that the PCV valve was used on export models.

I might have misunderstood what you meant.

Phil

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Hap- Seal Endorsement.jpg    37.5 KB
Hap- Seal Endorsement.jpg

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Do you really want to suck dirty air into your c/case Phil confused smiley

Gerard is in America.
He speaks from an American point of view.

From a Brit point of view, PCV stole ponies.

PCVs don't stop oil leaks out the back of your engine.
Gerard sells summat as does.

Job done thumbs up

Fact or fiction about your solution please Gerard?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links