Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dodgey Avatar
Dodgey Chris Jones
kennedy, Australia   AUS
hi, I need to get a new door handle plate/striker for my morry. can anyone tell me how to remove the striker from the handle.
can't get my head around it.?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0955.JPG    30.9 KB
IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG    35.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Drive the hinge pin out.
Preferably using a vice.

The bit on the door post
is known as the striker.

Dodgey Avatar
Dodgey Chris Jones
kennedy, Australia   AUS
I have taken the pin out but the spring some how still holds it together?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Which pin did you take out? Picture the center of rotation of the handle. You will find it pivots about the torsion spring. There might not be a pin. The spring itself is the pin and needs to be driven out. Be careful many of those springs are broken. Notice how the arm of the spring is staked into the latch body. You will need to release that arm in order to drive out the spring. Can you give us a view from the other side to confirm what is there. It's been a while since I had one in my hand.

0123 Mike D
Judging by the crack, you need another assembly.

POMMReg Chris Stevens
Gloucester, Gloucester, UK   GBR
Can use a large washer or bit of metal if broken like this...not pretty, but it works

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
To get the chrome handle apart from the pot metal part you will have to remove the coil spring with the arm swedged into the unit. The arms are known to come loose from the groove and this results in the exterior door handle not staying tight against the body work. The springs are available as a part but keep in mind they are handed. The real difficulty is in replacing the spring as the arm will really fight you to get it back in the groove. The original swedges are no longer usable after the spring is removed. You will need to utilize a work around with a small sheet metal screw and a washer as shown in this photo. And FYI, this handle is only applicable to four door cars and commercials. I learned about this fix from an article in an old Minor Monthly magazine and rewrote a similar article for the USA Minor News a few years ago.

John F Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Attachments:
RH front door handle bottom view.JPG    25.9 KB
RH front door handle bottom view.JPG

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
I was paging through Bull Motif and came across a replacement pin/spring.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2405

0123 Mike D

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links