Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I took the back and side windows out to paint the car. I would like opinions on the best way to put them back in. 2 door sedan by the way.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Not sure what you are expecting, really only one way. Both go from inside to outside as opposed to the windscreen. The rear one can be very stubborn and takes a lot of push to get it going, not a one person operation. I can't recall which edge you should start with the side windows, the corners are so sharp and a bit fragile. It may be best to start both the bottom and the rear of the curve and push the glass aft. As you start the vertical run, you probably should run up the curve as well so that the glass is not twisting. It's been a while since I did one. New rubber or used?

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have a new rubber for the right side, left was replaced 5 years ago and was hoping to re use. Maybe I should just order another one. I did this 5 years ago and pulled bottom front corner in last, it was not easy, hoping to find easier way.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
New rubber makes it more difficult. Do you remember where you started when you pushed it out ?

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I cut the old rubber all the way around to remove the right side. Still need to remove left.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Lubricate them with Swarfega Phil.

At least, dress the window frame a bit to take the sharp edges off.
Try the glass in the hole, and consider making
the hole a bit bigger where it's a bit tight.

We used to use spacers along the
bottom edge and up a straight side.
I can remember what gap we looked for sad smiley
But, it you increase the gap where it's a bit tight
so it's the same all the way round, that'll help.

Try using Bowden inner rather than string.
It don't snap on the vinegar strokes like string
On the other hand, it can cut the rubber
as string can of course.

In reply to # 29513 by 66jalopy I took the back and side windows out to paint the car. I would like opinions on the best way to put them back in. 2 door sedan by the way.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I've never done the rear or side windows, but there is a "tutorial" in the Bentley Minor shop manuals. I always call the mobile glass installers to do my windscreens. I've done glass in some other cars, but it's such difficult work and hard on the joints of the hand, that between that and the risk of breaking glass, I think it's one job that worth spending money doing.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

0123 Mike D
You are correct there Gerard, it is hard on
your hands, your nerves, and your friend

And yes, it's one job that's worth setting
someone on who does it for a living

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have considered that. I may drive it to a local shop, it's only 4 miles.

0123 Mike D
Another satisfied customer Gerard thumbs up

MoyasMate Avatar
MoyasMate Mervyn V
Woxall, PA, USA   USA
I haven’t done the rear window yet (waiting for when I replace the headliner) but I did do the rear side windows on my 2 door saloon last July. I used new seals and it wasn’t as bad at all. You definitely need two people and a quality string drenched in soap. I used dish soap. With one person inside the car pushing the window, start in the rear corner. The other person outside uses the string to help flip over the lip of the seal. As you move away from the corner, work the top and bottom at the same time to keep from twisting the glass (as mentioned before) Just go slow and be careful not to tear the seal on the last corner. After you do the first one the other side is a breeze.
Hope this helps,
Good luck
Mervyn

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links