Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

HOLD EVERYTHING. I just checked the Morris' MOT. It expired six days ago.

We are about to move house ... maybe at the end of this month, maybe at the end of July. Long story, but it's all down to the builder finishing the house, that the old lady who is selling to us is going to move into.

The Morris has suddenly moved down my priority ladder.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Is it not exempt young fella me lad

w3526602 John Williams
Is it not exempt young fella me lad

Hi Mike,

No ... only cars built before 01-01-1960 (but in practice, registered before 07-01-1960) are MOT exempt. BUT ...

... the rules change on 20th of May. Thereafter, or until a change of government, cars that are 40 years old will become MOT exempt, subject to some some unknown as yet exceptions. But note, it would not surprise me to find that said cars must have been 40 years old on January 1st, or 7th, of the year as it rolls over. The Government are fond of putting such quirks in their laws.

As far as I can make out, you will be allowed to update your car to match later versions of the same models produced by the factory. So you can drop a 1100cc A-series engine into your low-headlamp Minor, but whether an 1.3 A-plus engine would be allowed, is questionable.

I have only been watching this from a Land Rover viewpoint. Since 1948, LR have made 80", 86" and 88", all now referred to a Series Ones, Then there was the 88" S2, and 88" S3. plus all the 109". Engines have ranged from 1600cc (OISE) up to 3500cc V8s. All the foregoing were on leaf springs. In 1984, Land Rover introduced the Defender on coil springs, and TDi engines ... a different model. A lot of Series were converted to coils and should have been subject to SVA, and Q-registration. Many were fitted with TDi engines (too much power, and 30mpg).

Question ... does fitting a TDi cancel your entitlement to MOT exemption? As far as I know, Land Rover never fitted a TDi into a Series.

But recently, Land Rover have been calling all their "agricultural" models, since 1948, "DEFENDERS". So, according to Land Rover, my 1959 S2 is a Defender. But will DVLA see it the same way, and allow me to fit a TD5 engine, and claim MOT exemption? It is almost a straight swap, and golly gosh, they are fun to drive. Answer? Nobody knows ... yet. Roll on 20th May.

Please don't be too pedantic when criticising the above precis of my understanding of the situation.

I understand that "Vehicles of Historic Interest" will be judged on a different set of critria from the 8-points system for Radically Altered and Kit cars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Ko rect smiling smiley Thanks 02 smiling smiley
We have decided that most vehicles over 40 years old (on a rolling basis) will be exempt from MOT testing from 20 May 2018. Those that have been 'substantially changed' will still require yearly testing.

There is a definition for "Radically altered" for Kit Cars, which may or may not apply.
The DVLA took a very friendly view in respect of the radically modified I took for inspection.
To get my 5 chassis points, I welded a bit of the donor car monocoque to the chassis of the kit car.
They let me keep the old reg.

The car in the pic (not one of mine) carries a Cortina reg, and is almost certainly MOT exempt.
The DVLA is on our side.

Effectively, you've got to keep your Minor body shell un-modified.
That's unmodified in radical terms.

Keep the original registration number
Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    16.4 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

w3526602 John Williams
Do you carry passengers in your back seats?

Hi Mike,

Not so far, and I have no plans to do so.

I really wanted an A30 or A35 van, but this Traveller was listed at an acceptable price (We paid £2000), and only "two hoots and a holler" from home.

It's been character building, reminds me of my formative years when every journey meant a session with the spanners. I'm now too old to enjoy that on a working car. Every home needs two reliable cars, plus a third to play with. We had to get rid of my wife's Stag (2500TC). EVERY time she drove it, something broke, but nothing that could be anticipated. Power steering hose? Twice! Screen wiper rack (otherwise known as the cable) 50 miles from home, first time it had rained for weeks, etc

Actually, the Traveller is basically sound ... it just keeps thinking up new challenges that I would have shrugged off - 50 or 60 years ago.

Question ... is the Traveller cab integral with the chassis frame?

0123 Mike D
Yes

w3526602 John Williams
The DVLA is on our side.

Hi Mike,

In a previous life I was an EO at DVLC ... but only areas that would interest our readers were Medical Enforcement, and VED Enforcement. I retired in 1985, aged 45.

My wife was an HEO in Policy, and Press Officer for a few years. At one time, she was the DVLA representative at monthly ACPO meetings. She retired in 2002, aged 60.

Neither of us are authorised to offer advice, although I will warn people if they are wandering into dangerous places. Did you know, for instance, that displaying a tax disc on your screen, that was from a different vehicle, was counted as FRAUD ... Arrest, fingerprints (but I don't think rubber gloves), and a criminal record.

And how can an average of about 15 people every day, fail their driving test because they could not read a number plate at the prescribed distance? How can a driving school sign them up for a course of lessons, without checking that? I still check myself, every so often.

0123 Mike D
You must have been very wicked in your previous life 02

w3526602 John Williams
<<< You must have been very wicked in your previous life 02 >>>

Hi Mike,

There is a difference between wicked at evil. For instance, I have never driven without insurance. But I have stopped an express train by driving through the level crossing gates ... and then blamed British Rail. The red lamp on the gates had run out of parafin. They withdrew their notice of intended prosecution. But yeah, sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive.

A mate in the RAF was evil ... he opened up the side of a trolley bus with a tin opener, because "It seemed a good idea at the time, Yer Worship". Fined £5. When he was duty driver, he would let down the officer's tyre, then charge him five shillings to mend the puncture. Nasty piece of work ... the officer, I mean.

Some of you may have watched 100 years of the RAF. There was mention of RAF Halton. My mate was an RAF Appentice. He told me that somebody wondered if a motor cycle could be ridden down the billet corridor, through the window at the end, and jump through the window in the billet next door. Planks were arranged windows were opened ... and yes ... it could be done. Perhaps I should mention that motorcycles were not allowed at Halton ... and these were upstairs windows.

Unfortunately, it did not work with a pillion passenger. When the RAF Police arrived, the bike had been buried ... and all they found was a bloke with a broken arn who was unable to remember how he broke it. I thought he was shooting a line, but forty years later, I met somebody who was there at the time, and he knew all about the incident.

For our American cousins ... there was a USAF base near Halton, with a huge sign outside the gates, illuminated with spotlights. The RAF Appentices stole the sign. They also stole an old fashioned cannon, weighing a ton, from outside a British Army camp.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links