Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

Today I fitted the retractable part of one of my new seat belts to the traveller. Then went indoors and gave the dog a good kicking ... I feel better now.

Two problems ... or is it three.

The "fair-lead" that bolts to the B-post, above your shoulder, is cranked (bent) the wrong way, OR the belt is fed into the "fair-lead" from the wrong side. Or something .... my brain is starting to hurt. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

The belt comes up, against the B-post, through the "fair-lead" and back down to sill level. Where is it supposed to be fitted then? I have fitted it behind the reel ... which means the belt has to cross itself.

Then there is how to fit the "fair-lead" to the top of the B-post. This is a Traveller, so there is a 1/2" thick piece of timber trim. The stepped spacer is not thick enough to fill the gap. If I tighten the bolt, the spacer will still be loose on the bolt, while the "fair-lead" will be unable to swivel. That can't be right. If I keep tightening, something is going to break/crush/pull out.

Are there special fittings for the Traveller?

Help me ... pretty please.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
Did we do this before? Anyway, the belt from the reel goes up to the fair lead, into the fair lead and then back down along the post and is attached behind the reel, I.e., the bolt goes through the reel then the end of the belt and into the sill. The belt does not twist over itself. The fair lead bolt should be tight but the fair lead should be able to move. Does that make sense? Pictures tomorrow.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
I think you missed a few washers and a spacer Gord

The bolt is tightened against the spacer,
which allows the belt mechanism to move on the bolt

The washers reduce / stop rattle
unless it's coming from your ma-in-law

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ferd.jpg    22.8 KB
ferd.jpg

w3526602 John Williams
Hi Gord,

Yes, we've been here before. The difference is that I have invested in a pair of new belts ... and apart from the belts running smoothly, I am no further foreward. My confusion may be due to my age (My wife would call it a "man thing"winking smiley.

I have doodled a sketch of what I have got, and how I have fitted it.

To my eyes, either the probe buckle has been fitted on the wrong side of the fairlead, which would be only a slight improvement, or I need another captive nut at sill level.

I think I am no longer fitted for the modern world.

Attachments:
SEAT BELT LAYOUT. SCHEMATIC.jpg    17.9 KB
SEAT BELT LAYOUT. SCHEMATIC.jpg

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    8.6 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

w3526602 John Williams
Hi Mike,

We are talking retractable belts.

I have TWO problems.

Problem 1. Getting the eye on the flappy end of the belt to fit behing the reel without crossing the (same) belt. Should the UP belt enter the fairlead from the outside, and then DOWN against the B-post, with the probe buckle on the UP section. That might work, but it isn't what I've got.

Problem 2. The captive nut on the top of the B-post would be OK, if it wasn't for the 1/2" thick bit of "Woody" trim. OK, I can sort that by packing the stepped "swivel" spacers out with washer (nobody will see them), and it might need a longer bolt.

These belts are listed a suitable for TWO DOOR/TRAVELLER

The dog knows he is in trouble.

Attachments:
WILKIE. 04.jpg    28.8 KB
WILKIE. 04.jpg

w3526602 John Williams
Hi yet again,

I've just done a Google. It seems I'm not the first to be here.

I'm wondering if I should try to rotate the belt inside the slot in the fairlead. ??? That would enable me to fit the assembly with the DOWN section and probeagainst the B-post.

Is the the slot in the fairlead wide enough? No doubt I will find out after breakfast ... unless SWMBO demands that I wear my best clobber, and accompany her to Formula One on the TV.

Attachments:
Screenshot (1163).jpg    19.8 KB
Screenshot (1163).jpg

0123 Mike D
The pic shows a retractable belt

Attachments:
Ferd 2.jpg    8.6 KB
Ferd 2.jpg

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
John. I'd suggest that you're right that another hole drilled in the floor close to the sill or in the sill ahead of the retract mechanism would be a good option. I think the kit you've been sold looks a bit TOO universal and isn't ideal. If it were mine I'd move the retract mechanism as far aft as I could get it without the angle to the top bracket causing the locking mechanism to operate incorrectly and then run the bottom link to the bottom of the B-post. In an ideal world I might want the retract mechanism vertical and the other bracket as far behind the seat as possible to make the angles work but I thought that might cause the belt to chafe. Worth looking at?

Not much room to get another captive plate aft of the original mounting hole on the sill unless you grind a slit into the horizontal part of the inner sill just below the rear trim panel so you can lower a new plate into the slit to then take a bolt sideways through the sil. Obviously it would then need welding back up afterwards.

Good luck (To you AND the dog)

0123 Mike D
The sketch shows the belt going the wrong way through the fairlead

The schematic shows the belt going the correct way through the fairlead

w3526602 John Williams
Hi Rob,

It looks like somebody agrees with me. Praise be! But then... surely I'm not the only person with retractable belts on a Traveller (which uses the front door from a 4-door, I think. Lots of vans did/do.)

There has been a lot of panel-work done on this car ... with seat belt nuts omitted., etc. I have cobbled brackets to fix belts to the floor instead of the sill. I'll let a future owner sort all that out. I will probably do the same with the dangly ends of these belts.

Willkie thanks you for your concern, but says that whan he moved in with us, aged 5, he fell on his feet. He was semi-rescue. His previous two owners looked after hin, but ditn't want him. His first owner went to Australia. We were his 4th owner in three months. Huh! 1967, our dog in Malaya flew to UK in QANTAS luxury. We came home in a Britannia "troopship" (extra row of seats). 26 hours from Singapore, and she had managed to get herself preggers 6 months earlier. No home, no job, no car, (that was the last time I was on a bus), one months wages in my wallet. We survived.

Attachments:
20160220_155531 (2).jpg    43.9 KB
20160220_155531 (2).jpg

gjoakes Silver Member Greg Oakes
Cornfield, IL, USA   USA
1958 Morris Minor Traveller "Bridget"
1972 MG MGB "Buttermilk"
As others have suggested, a second mounting point for the loose end of the "lap" belt works best and it needs to be in front of the reel mechanism - not behind. Attached are photos of my installation of a "universal seat belt kit" that works quite well.

I don't believe the amount of offset between the reel mount and the lap belt mount is critical but is driven mostly by the location of the seats being used. You want the lap belt portion to drape across the passenger correctly.

The reel mount needs to be directly below the B-post mount such that reel axis is pretty much horizontal (reels are angular-position sensitive) .

As for the B post mount, it does need to swivel andf if the supplied bushing is not long enough to clear the 1/2" wood panel then a longer one will have to be fabricated/procured. Stacking two of them sounds like a good idea.

Attachments:
P1110147.JPG    65 KB
P1110147.JPG

P1110366.JPG    51.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1110148.JPG    56.9 KB
P1110143.JPG    63.4 KB
P1110139.JPG    49.5 KB
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
John, my sincere apologies for my senior moment. Your schematic is correct, and the solution is simple. My pictures should help. This is my right-hand door. The belt end comes down to the left of the belt and reel and then behind the reel. Therefore when you pull on the buckle it does not cross the belt. Do the opposite on the left door, ie, to the right side of the belt and reel. At the top, my fairlead is flush with the wood.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 10:01 AM by bufferzone.

Attachments:
B2F8AA0F-0BA1-405C-8CBE-951E2EE811E0.jpeg    32.9 KB
B2F8AA0F-0BA1-405C-8CBE-951E2EE811E0.jpeg

15B913D1-BBC4-46CE-BD3E-BF7F4550DB16.jpeg    20.1 KB
w3526602 John Williams
Attached are photos of my installation of a "universal seat belt kit" that works quite well.

Hi Greg,

Many thanks, the photos are useful, but I think I will go for bracketing them off the floor, let a future owner restore properly if they wish.

My planned set-up will have three bolts retaining the the belt at the bottom, rather than just one.

0123 Mike D
Do you carry passengers in your back seats?

In reply to # 29397 by bufferzone John, my sincere apologies for my senior moment. Your schematic is correct, and the solution is simple. My pictures should help. This is my right-hand door. The belt end comes down to the left of the belt and reel and then behind the reel. Therefore when you pull on the buckle it does not cross the belt. Do the opposite on the left door, ie, to the right side of the belt and reel. At the top, my fairlead is flush with the wood.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links