AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
So, it would be fairly simple for Chris to
fit the back end of his old box on a ribbed
box and retain the original look then Jim

thumbs up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Mike, the article you attached showed a short third motion shaft, so I read about that. The short one was used in the Austin saloon and then it turns into a chicken or the egg problem. Why was the Series II gearbox made the same length as the future remote shifter gearbox? Did someone know the future? With BMC being mostly Austin controlled design and Nuffield people being push aside, why did the Minor get a special gearbox? Which just happened to turn out to be the new standard in a few years. Even when the remote became universal they still could have used the shorter tail housing. Perhaps the Minor cross-member required the drive shaft to be farther back and that drove the universal length of the gearbox.

I think Chris wants the entire gearbox to look original, not just the shifter location for those people who crawl under you car.

Great information guys.

The idea was to keep it original for show purposes, but in reality I'm not a trophy chaser so maybe the idea of switching the center and using the old bell housing and tall end might be an option.

Again I appreciate the dialog.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Bell housing isn't detachable on rib case

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor 1000 Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links