Morris Minor Chat

Transmission Smooth case vs Rib case question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hello Group,

I have a 1952 Series ll car that I would like to keep original all the way down to the Transmission. I know the smooth case that is in the car has problems and I have a rib case that (of course) would fit but would not be original. I'm not wanting to be stuffy about this, my question is has anyone taken all of the parts out of a rib case and installed them in a smooth case or is this a pipe dream. I'm not after different gearing or anything else, just a working smooth case with replaceable parts.
I know I can get another smooth case but that's not the question, will rib case parts even fit?

Look forward to your responses.

TX Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
There is a wright up on this somewhere, I believe it can be done.

66 jalopy,

Do you think the write up is on this forum or will a web search be needed?

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Yes, it can be done, but not without some machining and/or some custom made parts, so it takes more than moving the parts from one to another.. I'm currently building two of them.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Hi Gerard,

I have full machining equipment available to do most of what might be needed. What would be the custom parts? I realize the parts would need to be verified for use and keep the gears matched as much as possible what else would be special.

I appreciate your being able to answer this question.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Here is one description...

"Have to machine the main case "pad" where the small ID thrust washer goes at 1st gear end of the layshaft. Lets the longer laygear fit in the case. Also need to clearance the case for any casting interference from the 1st gear teeth. Then check for interference between Mainshaft bearing plate and 1st gear. The smoothcase doesn't have a peg on the plate like a ribcase. Might need to check for casting interference with the input gear. Different gear diameters. Rib case inputs can only go in from inside the main case.

There may be some more items, but these are the main ones.
"

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
And you're planning on keeping the first style of tail housing/shifter.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Hi Gerard,

Is the quoted information from a larger article that you might be able to direct me to. 0123, that is a nice pic of a rebuilt transmission. Do you know if they have any information on this conversion? I will check their web site and maybe even contact them next week for any details they might provide. Since it is their business they might be reluctant to share, I will have to see.
The research continues!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 29306 by Mr fixit Hi Gerard,

Is the quoted information from a larger article that you might be able to direct me to. 0123,
I only know what is on their site Chris, Gerard knows what needs to be done. Jim seemed to be offering skills and knowledge too
that is a nice pic of a rebuilt transmission.

I'm a bit surprised you say that
as when fitted, it will look like a later box
Do you know if they have any information on this conversion? I will check their web site and maybe even contact them next week for any details they might provide. Since it is their business they might be reluctant to share, I will have to see.
The research continues!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
http://www.mirabelleclassiccars.co.uk/gearbox.pdf

0123 Mike D
Does anyone know how difficult / easy it is to fit the
back end of a smooth case on a ribbed case please

smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Externally, there is no difference unless you are talking about the very first one used on Series II.

0123 Mike D
The 803 box thanks Jim

smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
At the very least the tail housing needs to be modified to accept the pin in the bearing housing. The forks are also a bit different so they have to be checked for compatibility. It might required that the old forks are used.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links