Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
If you are using a normal ratchet or similar length lever,
you tighten until controlled movement becomes wham, bang, thank you Mam smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
No great mystery. The tapered one, just tighten like any other tapered joint, good and tight and a cotter just to be sure. The bushings are tightened until the washer bottoms on the shoulder of the pin. Notice the D shaped hole in the washer, tighten all the way with a good tug and the tab washer holds it in place.

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
Thanks, that helps. After reading your posts I went out and took one apart and it became clear how it all worked.

Hoping to get both sides in tomorrow if I can. I've got new front brakes as well (Ford setup from JLH to replace the Spridget ones) so might try and get them in as well. Would be nice to be driving it by the end of the week.

I still have the rear to do, but with my trip coming up fast I may hold off. Have new tie rod ends to do as well, but another project that will have to wait a bit. Would help if I was a faster mechanic... grinning smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Faster mechanic? That's the beauty of doing your own work, you can enjoy it.

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 30114 by emjay Faster mechanic? That's the beauty of doing your own work, you can enjoy it.

thumbs upIsn't youthful enthusiasm a wonderful thing thumbs up

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 30114 by emjay Faster mechanic? That's the beauty of doing your own work, you can enjoy it.

I do enjoy the work, but I also have a rapidly approaching trip I need to be ready for. Less fun if we have to take my wife's Buick on the drive (though it is a nice car). grinning smiley

Made good strides today. The front suspension is done and the car sits level. Got most of the new Ford disc brake kit installed as well. Should have that finished sometime this week. I do have a question -- do I have the bump stops in correctly? I know they are side-specific (they are labeled) but they could go either way around and it has not seemed clear to me which way they go.

I initially installed it the other way around, but then it didn't seem to point at the top of the trunnion. This way seems to line up better, but it overhangs the ledge it bolts to.

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd.pdf    193.8 KB

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Yes they overhang out past the ledge and lines the impact force to the stronger vertical section. Since you've tried it both ways, you know the difference.

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
Thanks again, that confirmation helps. I've got lots to learn, and the factory manual isn't always clear enough (unless you already know how it all works).

Tightened everything up last night and gave it all a good greasing. I'll get the bump stops back on after work today and the front suspension will be done.

0123 Mike D
Absolutely splendid Drew

smileys with beer

Can we look forward to you doing
strip downs and rebuilds against the clock
to keep punters amused at shows please?

thumbs up

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
In reply to # 30131 by 0123 Can we look forward to you doing
strip downs and rebuilds against the clock
to keep punters amused at shows please?

thumbs up

Only if I can be timed with a sundial... or a calendar. grinning smiley

0123 Mike D
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
When I try to install new poly bushings on the front tie rods there is not enough thread to capture the nut much less draw the castled nut down where the pin goes through. Bushing measure .706" each. Should I trim the bushings?

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 04:56 PM by minimarc.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
It's common to use a rubber bushing on the back side so the suspension leg isn't push back as hard. Also install the nut before the other end is inserted into the clevis.

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 30166 by minimarc When I try to install new poly bushings on the front tie rods there is not enough thread to capture the nut much less draw the castled nut down where the pin goes through. Bushing measure .706" each. Should I trim the bushings?

Yes thumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links