AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Thinking about, I expect there's a good chance that if
you buy locally, you get products to suit local conditions

Can you get your wood vacuum treated against rot locally
If wet rot is a nuisance in your area, it seems a way to go.

Cetol recommend redoing every 2 years for the UK
And add
"Durability greatly depends on location, elevation and by the quality of
wood, design, construction, glazing, condition of interior paint-work,
method of application adopted, etc
"

Cetol recommend
"Where necessary, apply two coats of Cuprinol ClearWood Preserver on
new softwood timber that requires extra substrate protection against
fungal attack
Apply a priming coat of Cetol HLS plus for hardwood or softwood in
selected color.
"

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/web/pdf/datasheets/cetol_hls_plus.pdf

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
Refinishing is a pain, but necessary. Pay especial care to all the joints. Keep it in a garage or you will be doing it again very soon.

0123 Mike D
Before you leave it in that there garage
make sure you dry it thoroughly, and
remember to ventilate that there garage

Or seal that there garage and run a dehumidifier
on days when you have 96% humidity

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
My 1971 Traveller has the original wood. It was stripped back and re-varnished by Steve Foreman in 2013 (about £800) and re-varnished again by his son in 2015 (about £100). I chose the original glossy look. It still looks fab with just a little blackening behind the driver's door. But the car is garaged in Southern England and does about 1500 miles a year. Also since Steve told me it was rare for a late car to retain its original wood I have been very careful about getting it wet and drying it carefully when I do.
I spoke to a guy over the winter who has one with the Danish oil finish and he said it hadn't been touched in 14 years.

0123 Mike D
Please will you tell us about the pleasure
you get from owning a Traveller rather than
another type of Minor Quentin

smiling smiley

Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
That's easy, my late Dad had three brand new ones 63, 65, 68 and if he hadn't decided to change in 71 he would have had one like mine. So lots of childhood memories.
Also the very late Travellers fascinate me with their different colour schemes and (on some) steering locks.
And I can put the dog and his cage in the back.

0123 Mike D
Dog?
Cage?

May the curse of
1000 scorpions down your Y-fronts
descend on you
and your progeny

rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, IL, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
I stripped and refinished the wood on my Traveller four years ago. The old varnish was peeling off, but the wood had been replaced at some time and was completely sound. The car started life in New Zealand, but came to California in the early 1990's. I started by scraping off the old varnish, using cabinet scrappers and single edge razor blades. I like the razor blades better because they are sharper, cheap, didn't nick up the wood so much, and were easily replaced. As a holder, I used a small vise grip. When completely stripped (took a whole week), I sanded by hand with different grades of paper down to 600 grit. I used diluted Rustoleum spar varnish for the first coat, and used a total of four coats, letting it dry and sanding in between. This took two more weeks, so the whole think is a good winter project. After four years, it looks like I did it yesterday. My Traveller does not live outside, which keeps it out of the UV. This year's project was to replace all the window channels and the suspension bushings. I'm not done yet, but the temperature was only 22F this morning, so I have at least a couple of more weeks to get her done.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi,

I am in the process of refurbishing my traveller woodwork at the moment. My first thought was to use Sikkens as it is a high quality microporous paint. This was due to the fact that it was recommended to me many years ago by my father who was in the paint trade, when I did up my 1st traveller. However, as always as things move on I saught advice from people in the know. Amoungst the people I spoke to was a rather knowledgeable chap from Charles Ware, at the recent Practical Classics restoration show at the NEC. He confirmed that their preferred option is to use Sikkens, but also to timber treat first (they use Cuprinol). Their second option is to timber treat then use Danish oil (it will need recoating with Danish oil annually).

In my view if the wood is new traditional yatch vanish is fine. However with years of water running through the drainage holes and the potential of water penetrating elsewhere microporous seems sensible. Since its surface is impermeable to liquid water, but permeable to water vapour, thus allowing moisture in the wood to escape.

Preparation of course is of paramount importance and all previous coatings need to be removed to get to bare wood.
I have been using a dehumidifier in the garage to both dry the wood before applying timber treatment and also between coats of timber treatment (I am using 3 coats of timber treatment before applying any top coats).

Charles Ware recommended dark oak as they said it gave the maximum UV resistance. I have opted for a lighter shade (ash will probably recoat in a couple of years).

On my first car I had lots of black stains, which I used a wonderful stuff called Diamond Colourback on. Sadly the product doesn't seem to exist anymore so I am looking for an alternative for the few patches my present shootingbreak has (When I find one I will post).

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180404_144346.jpg    63.7 KB
20180404_144346.jpg

20180414_124651.jpg    96.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
laurentbricout Avatar
laurentbricout Laurent Bricout
Lille, nord, France   FRA
Sacred job that is making my friend Johnny !! It is true that the wood of our friends "travellers" are sometimes a source of work to avoid any bad surprise! For my part, a simple coat of polish just after its purchase, just to make him love the French air !!

@+

laurent

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Laurent,
French air is a well known remedy for many things and I am sure that it must do traveller woodwork the power of good.

Elbow grease is what my Moggy is requiring at the moment to remove the black stains. I haven't been able to locate any of my trusted Diamond Colourback, but have been using a Cuprinol garden furniture restorer. Spent about 30 hours so far on my woodwork preparing it for re-coating. Have been tempted to do short cuts but figure stick at it and do it properly. Black now looking much better.

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 12:50 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20180414_121014.jpg    72.8 KB
20180414_121014.jpg

20180404_120448.jpg    82.4 KB
20180405_153849.jpg    84.3 KB
20180417_125617.jpg    84.6 KB
20180415_175049.jpg    80.4 KB
20180417_194142.jpg    87.3 KB
20180417_193944.jpg    69.2 KB
0123 Mike D
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wood+bleach&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB768GB768&oq=wood+bleach&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9328j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks Mike I might also try some of that on the two bits that have faded but still persist.
Have you had personal experience and found it good, if so do you have any tips.

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 01:06 PM by johnnyw637.

0123 Mike D
I've never tried to bleach ash I'm afraid Johnny sad smiley

Do you know how to use a cabinet scraper.
I've used them to remove stained wood.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Thanks Mike,

I've pretty much used that method along with the other things I mentioned. So I don't think removing more surface will help.

I am quite pleased with the progress I've made (though a few niggling marks remain) and as I said either I have been using a Cuprinol product with I believe similar properties to the product you suggested ( though your product may be better, which is why I hoped that you had personal experience in using it).

Anyway here's the progress on one side.

Many thanks Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 02:10 PM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20180404_120509.jpg    49.3 KB
20180404_120509.jpg

20180404_144346.jpg    63.7 KB
20180417_125634.jpg    62.9 KB
20180417_125639.jpg    49.2 KB
20180417_193944.jpg    69.2 KB
20180419_200445.jpg    26.7 KB
20180419_200507.jpg    30.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links