Morris Minor Chat

new tire life expectancy

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hey group,

I have the possibility to buy a set of unused Firestone 560 tires for my minor that is still being assembled, including still needing a paint job, so they would sit in the shop for a while before they get used. Question is, what is the shelf life of new unused tires before they would not be derivable? I might be a while before the car is finished, I keep running out of funding the big ticket items.

Look forward to any suggestions before I pull the trigger on the purchase. I do not want them to die before they even get to touch the asphalt.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In theory, 5 years

In practice
For ever
Controlled by Law
Which ever comes first

pixelsmithusa Avatar
You need to find the date code on the tires. Tires might be unused, but still not new. To keep tires "fresh", they should be kept out of sunlight and be stores in sealed plastic bags. Current recommendation for safety are as Mike states, 5 years.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
As they say your results may vary. The five year rule is hardily embraced by the tire industry in that virtually no dealer will touch a tire as in repair it if it's over five years old. Their goal of course is to sell new tires. The standard among safety inspectors is visible cracks in the side wall that renders the tire unsafe. Typically, a tire in use will begin cracking around five years. Some brands are better than others. Therefore for a limited use vehicle that probably spends much time indoors may get more than five years. The point being the cracking on the sides is the criteria. The advent of radial tires is the driver here. The sidewalls are much thinner than bias or cross ply tires so a small crack is a significant reduction in air retention capability and the concern is a sudden blow out. If you want to push your luck, you can ride on those cracks for a while because the most likely event will be a flat tire. At which point if the loss of air is through a crack or two, don't bother repairing. I just wanted to give you more of the story and to say don't look at the calendar, but look at your sidewalls to determine end of life at which point you decide if the your safety and the safety of others is to be considered.

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, AZ, USA   USA
Firestone 560 tires are still being produced, and sold by Coker in 145 & 155 section. No reason to think production is going to stop any time soon. Put your money in a piggy bank until needed.

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Various manufacturers (worldwide) are offering tires of the appropriate sizes, however, the demand is low so many sit on the rack for a while. Some may store them properly but some might not. In any case don't be surprised to receive a 3 or 4 year old tire, so again the presence of cracks is the criterion. In fact even with popular sizes some of the discount on line dealers acquire older tires from other dealers and that is why the prices are lower.

Good Point shoebone.
I am on a budget, so the deal is not that far from new dealer pricing I think I might take the approach of waiting until I get closer to needing them. I will have to deal with inflation costs as slow as i'm moving on the project but that's another story!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links