Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
North Shields, Tyne and Wear, UK   GBR
So Johnny Morris has been a bit out of sorts of late after numerous blown head gaskets and burnt exhaust valves in number 4 pot.
Power was down as was oil pressure. It was time to pull engine and give a full strip down and overhaul. I did look at getting another engine but decided to do it myself.

Short story, rebore and pistons, reground crank valves, seats, guides , camshaft, timing chain, oil pump and all the rest blah blah, you know the score.
Now putting it back together I couldn`t find the thermostat. Boxes where rummaged through, dog kicked, wife cursed to no avail.
In the middle of the night suddenly sitting bolt upright I realized there was no thermostat fitted when I stripped the engine down.

Why would someone remove the thermostat?? I kind of figured this was the root cause of my problems with blown head and burnt valves. But why would the previous owner take out the thermostat?
Is this some kind of Morris Minor bodgers mod or trying to fix another problem? or maybe not knowing what it was and throwing it over their shoulder?
Mind, the engine was on the downslide and needed a lot of TLC so not too unhappy.

Anyway the engine is back in as should be, all nice and standard purring like a little kitten waiting for the snow and horrible road salt to disappear.

Still cant` figure this one out tho`

Safe driving folks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 28807 by billybob So Johnny Morris has been a bit out of sorts of late after numerous blown head gaskets and burnt exhaust valves in number 4 pot.
Power was down as was oil pressure. It was time to pull engine and give a full strip down and overhaul. I did look at getting another engine but decided to do it myself.

Short story, rebore and pistons, reground crank valves, seats, guides , camshaft, timing chain, oil pump and all the rest blah blah, you know the score.
Now putting it back together I couldn`t find the thermostat. Boxes where rummaged through, dog kicked,

I'll 'ave the Law on yer sad smiley
wife cursed to no avail.
In the middle of the night suddenly sitting bolt upright I realized there was no thermostat fitted when I stripped the engine down.

Why would someone remove the thermostat??

Blocked rad
Get your'n recored

I kind of figured this was the root cause of my problems with blown head and burnt valves. But why would the previous owner take out the thermostat?
See above

Is this some kind of Morris Minor bodgers mod or trying to fix another problem? or maybe not knowing what it was and throwing it over their shoulder?
Mind, the engine was on the downslide and needed a lot of TLC so not too unhappy.

Anyway the engine is back in as should be, all nice and standard purring like a little kitten waiting for the snow and horrible road salt to disappear.

Still cant` figure this one out tho`

Safe driving folks

Live hard
die young
become a
handsome cadaver

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
Hi mike.

Rad A OK as is all the plumbing. Pretty simple system, pump works a treat like old Faithfull. Me thinks maybe there was an airlock and this was the remedy.
Bit like when I had problems with my Gall Bladder and when pulled out everything flowed again, doc said you don't really need it. (the bladder not the thermo)spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Perhaps it was blocked in the past

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Back in the day when a thermostat failed closed, some people needed to fix the problem NOW so yanked it and told themselves they would replace it later, but only wondered why it took so long to get heat in the cold weather. One of those penny wise and pound foolish things. Especially, when the car needed to be used so the problem needed to be identified and the quickest fix was to remove the thermostat since who would have a good spare sitting around the house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 07:00 AM by emjay.

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
Suppose I will never know for sure. At least my engine overhaul has ironed out a lot of non standard fixes.
Happy days again and a well sorted engine with new clutch. On to the rest of the car but first a nice drive and restore as I use it.

0123 Mike D
Gut Farht

And remember to say
Bismillah as you turn t'key

thumbs up

brianmminimania Brian M
Nevada City, CA, USA   USA
0123 Mike D
I ran an 88

Stat not Olds Phil
when I used a
Minor in anger

Only got caught out once
by a very strong tail wind

Unfortunately, I had left
the fan at home, so we
turned round into the wind

thumbs up

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, AZ, USA   USA
I recall reading once, somewhere ....... running these engines without a thermostat can cause coolant circulation problems around the back of the engine. I wonder if this was your problem ??

plumby Avatar
plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
During the engine rebuild I presume that the entire water jacket in the block was acid-cleaned?

The A Series has a major issue with clogged flow around the back, behind No 4.

Crucial to have removed the welsh-plug/core-plug at the very back to ensure it was clear and clean there.

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Have you considered the “ waterless coolant “ made by Evans? Supposedly it never boils ove4 and builds no pressure in the radiator..

The Brit mechanic. Edd China and Jay Leno have videoed reviews on YouTube.

Just an idea.

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 28830 by rusty bucket Have you considered the “ waterless coolant “ made by Evans? Supposedly it never boils ove4 and builds no pressure in the radiator..
Do it also
lay Golden Eggs
smiling smiley

The Brit mechanic. Edd China and Jay Leno have videoed reviews on YouTube.

Just an idea.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
What is that suppose to mean?

billybob Avatar
billybob William Dabbs
I have used Evans waterless coolant before in another car after seeing the Jay Leno video, it is very good, but at £ 50+ a go it is something maybe for the future.

All waterways are now clear, the block was beads blasted ultrasonic cleaned and re bore in my place of work. New core plugs fitted.
Pretty much everything as new on the engine.
There was an issue with overheating when I got Johnny Morris. After a pressurized coolant flush the problem went away along with a lot of brown gunge.
Previous owner in the past must have done as was said and tried to solve the problem by binning thermo.

Running fine now and popping golden eggs out the exhaust every morning eye popping smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris 850

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links