AutoShrine Sponsor

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Good luck John,

Whatever you drive and enjoy the new house and car.

All the best Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midhurst80 Avatar
Midhurst80 Gold Member Bob Killam
Midhurst, ON, Canada   CAN
In 1966 I owned a 61 MM 1000, in Montreal, driving 20 miles from home to school, daily. For half the winter it was cold, very cold but as it was my first car it was a delight. Last February I found an almost duplicate (64) which matched in colour and unfortunately temperature. Finding the thermostat had been removed by a PO was a welcome surprise as the problem has been easy to solve; that and moving 250 miles south means, if we are not honoured by a foot of snow ❄️ I can go for a little drive tomorrow.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Just back from a local meeting at a dinner on an good doesn't it smiling smiley GRIN).

As was pointed out appreciate how lucky we are to get out over here. Lots of variety, lots of Americana, a few Moggy's, generally a good variety, which to me is a good thing.

Didn't take Boris the Morris today but the topless 64 Midge my neighbour his 64 Herald estate. Saw a few mates there so all good. Though the engine needed a bit of a run and some exercise.

Turn out much better than I expected, saw a few mates there, mainly Moggy owners. So all in all a good event.

Left and grabbed some lunch at an old Norfolk County pub. Only about 35 miles in total, but wonderful.

Even fixed the tachometer which had been playing up on my return.

All the best Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190106_112711.jpg    70.3 KB
20190106_112711.jpg

20190106_112723.jpg    66.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20190106_111012.jpg    58.9 KB
20190106_110516.jpg    78.3 KB
20190106_121808.jpg    75.9 KB
20190106_110540.jpg    53.2 KB
20190106_124850.jpg    70.7 KB
20190106_133440.jpg    70.7 KB
w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
The plug on my 1967 is -- if I remember correctly -- something like 5/8".

Hi Rob,

You probably already know, but there are "generations" behind us that don't.

Fasteners (nuts and bolts) are identified by their thread diameter and shape of the thread. (For reasons best known to himself Mr Whitworth decided to make his threads 55 degrees (correct me if I'm wrong). Metric threads are 60 degrees (much more sensible). I'm not sure about BSF and BA, but no doubt somebody will tell us.

I have heard rumours that there are still people walking amongst us who do not know that AF stands for ACROSS FLATS .... that's the width of the gap in an open ended spanner (not so easy to measure across the flats on a bi-hex ring spanner) and also the opposite flats on a hexagon nut or bolt (easier to measure ... provided you know if its metric or imperial). I believe that all metric spanners are AF, but that is still the hexagon size, not the thread diameter. I think a 10mm AF spanner fits a 6mm diameter screw/bolt/nut.

I shudder when I try to remember or calculate the spanner sizes of Whitworth or UNF(and UNC) fasteners, let alone Cycle Thread,

Can anybody post a chart of fastener AF dimensions of metric and Imperial sizes that we are likely to meet ... so we know which tool gives the best bodge when you lose your 3/16" Whit open ender?

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, IL, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
John, I think this is why adjustable wrenches were invented. The three most common are the "Monkey" wrench, invented in England by somebody named Monke. It's the oldest. Next came the "Stillson" wrench, which most people nowadays call a pipe wrench. This was designed by somebody named Stillson and first manufactured by the Stanley tool works. The third is the Crescent wrench, designed by Crescent Tool Works. There are other variations, but these are the most common. I have full sets of each, plus a bunch of odd ball adjustable wrenches. Now, it is true that they will work on any hex or square head, but they tend to slip and round off corners, so I have complete sets of Metric, English (Whitworth, BA) and American wrenches. Even so, once in a while something comes up, like the need for a 16mm or 18mm wrench which most sets don't have. That's when the adjustable wrenches comes out to play. I carry one or two in all of my car tool kits along with different kinds of pliers and several screwdrivers. I also carry different kinds of wire, including some wire coat hangers, and tape. You never know what you're going to need, do you? When I go on long trips, say four or five hundred miles, I also carry spare parts, like a voltage regulator, distributor parts, coil, fuel pump, and in my MG TD, I carry an axle half shaft. Of course if I have to change an axle I wouldn't have enough tools or parts with me to do it, but better to be prepared than not.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Fascinating tool history Ray,

Many thanks for that, didn't know that's why we called them Monkey wrenches and assumed that they must have been of American origin.

All the best Johnny

In reply to # 34294 by rlincoln John, I think this is why adjustable wrenches were invented. The three most common are the "Monkey" wrench, invented in England by somebody named Monke. It's the oldest. Next came the "Stillson" wrench, which most people nowadays call a pipe wrench. This was designed by somebody named Stillson and first manufactured by the Stanley tool works. The third is the Crescent wrench, designed by Crescent Tool Works. There are other variations, but these are the most common. I have full sets of each, plus a bunch of odd ball adjustable wrenches. Now, it is true that they will work on any hex or square head, but they tend to slip and round off corners, so I have complete sets of Metric, English (Whitworth, BA) and American wrenches. Even so, once in a while something comes up, like the need for a 16mm or 18mm wrench which most sets don't have. That's when the adjustable wrenches comes out to play. I carry one or two in all of my car tool kits along with different kinds of pliers and several screwdrivers. I also carry different kinds of wire, including some wire coat hangers, and tape. You never know what you're going to need, do you? When I go on long trips, say four or five hundred miles, I also carry spare parts, like a voltage regulator, distributor parts, coil, fuel pump, and in my MG TD, I carry an axle half shaft. Of course if I have to change an axle I wouldn't have enough tools or parts with me to do it, but better to be prepared than not.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 34289 by w3526602 The plug on my 1967 is -- if I remember correctly -- something like 5/8".

Hi Rob,

You probably already know, but there are "generations" behind us that don't.

Fasteners (nuts and bolts) are identified by their thread diameter and shape of the thread. (For reasons best known to himself Mr Whitworth decided to make his threads 55 degrees (correct me if I'm wrong). Metric threads are 60 degrees (much more sensible). I'm not sure about BSF and BA, but no doubt somebody will tell us.

I have heard rumours that there are still people walking amongst us who do not know that AF stands for ACROSS FLATS .... that's the width of the gap in an open ended spanner (not so easy to measure across the flats on a bi-hex ring spanner) and also the opposite flats on a hexagon nut or bolt (easier to measure ... provided you know if its metric or imperial). I believe that all metric spanners are AF, but that is still the hexagon size, not the thread diameter. I think a 10mm AF spanner fits a 6mm diameter screw/bolt/nut.

I shudder when I try to remember or calculate the spanner sizes of Whitworth or UNF(and UNC) fasteners, let alone Cycle Thread,

Can anybody post a chart of fastener AF dimensions of metric and Imperial sizes that we are likely to meet ... so we know which tool gives the best bodge when you lose your 3/16" Whit open ender?

Hi John,

This link should help, Cromwell fastening also supply a free chart in their trade centres

All the best Johnny smileys with beer

http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conversion%20charts.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 02:02 PM by johnnyw637.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Loaded up with recycle stuff to drop off, didn't make it there. Started bucking and snorting, barely made it back home. Petrol pump not working properly. Took it off, cleaned points. Furious tick tick tick but no petrol, sounds like it's blowing back into the tank. Valves stuck open probably. Guess I'll get a whole kit with diaphragm and all, no idea how old it is, I've been using it 7 years.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Phillip,

The hallowed SU pump, pleased you like them, they seem to be a love or hate thing (as you know from the mg forum). I love them, just not so much the price.
You know the mechanics better than any so sure it will be refurbed and better than ever soon.

Shame it didn't have the decency to break in the nice weather.

Hope parts come swiftly where you live.
Be good if you could take a few shots of the work as I am sure lots would like to see.

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 03:17 PM by johnnyw637.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
19º C today in North Florida, can't get any better for working on car. Ordering kit and tank to pump fuel line, mine is still the old steel one and I have had to blow it out with air once in a while. Probably the factory one from 1956.....

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi Phillip,

Not a bad innings on the fuel line then or for that matter the pump. 19 C does sound rather nice, in my mind I had you hammering through ten foot snow drifts with your recycling.
It was a great image, but how wrong was I GRIN smileys with beer

All the best and enjoy your Sunday

Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 06:02 PM by johnnyw637.

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Manly West, Queensland, Australia   AUS
I designed a plate that bolts to the RHS engine mount bracket (side valve) so I can mount my magnetic sensor for the new Electromotive waste spark ignition system. The pulley and the sensor plate adaptor should be back from the machine shop early next week. Also have a plug being made up to fill the hole where the distributor used to go. It's been a slow process.

Attachments:
IMG_1045.jpg    43.6 KB
IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg    54.4 KB
mikeck Mike E
Chapin, SC, USA   USA
Finished installation of new rain guttering on my Traveller.

Attachments:
gutter1.JPG    63.4 KB
gutter1.JPG

gutter2.JPG    55.8 KB
gutter3.JPG    57 KB
KRCaddis Avatar
KRCaddis Gene Johnson
Santa Margarita, CA, USA   USA
1961 Morris Minor Pickup "Morris, Of Course"
VERY Nice! Looks great just as it is, no paint!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links