Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jescruzn Morris LCV Avatar
Jescruzn Morris LCV Jessica Zdanowicz
Racine, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 33884 by Midhurst80 Hi Mike, yes to the lower profile tyres. As for the highway, the posted speeds vary a little with the secondary highways, like you’re A and B roads are generally 80 mph while our limited access hwy are 100 and up. A little too fast for “Nelson”. T real speeds are 10% or more above.. just like England and the Natioal speed.

WOW! Here in the midwest, top posted speed is 70 mph on freeways. With my daily driver, 2010 Subaru Forester, in never go faster than 75 mph. Cannot imagine going 100 mph.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
100 clicks not miles

Midhurst80 Avatar
Midhurst80 Gold Member Bob Killam
Midhurst, ON, Canada   CAN
Yikes, thanks Phillip. With the speedo in mph and the roads in kph, and a self-correcting iPad, the numbers needed correction. My apologies

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Thanks Bob.

Your permitted speeds are a fair bit higher than ours.

Did you consider fitting an overdrive / 5 speed gearbox at all?
Gerard has some info on the swap.
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/5speedKit.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 06:29 AM by 0123.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
100 kph = 62 mph.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
This video, from the filling station, shows one of our favourite roads.
After about 2 mins 45 sex smiling smiley
Damned spellchecker winking smiley

It's frequently labelled an "Accident crash route" because motorcyclists
seem very keen on finding out they aren't as good as they think they.

The bends and adverse cambers are challenging.
On a summer's evening, the ride is fantastic.
The light and temperature change minute by minute.

I run mostly between say 40 and summat very naughty,
hunting between 3 and 4 to keep the engine on song.
That's Miles per hour
not that boastful Napoleonic nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 03:52 AM by 0123.

Deleted
Annywill Avatar
Annywill Anny Will (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
Post has been removed by the administrator due to violation of the Terms of Service.

Deleted
Annywill Avatar
Annywill Anny Will (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
Post has been removed by the administrator due to violation of the Terms of Service.

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

Not today, but a few days ago, I bought a battery charger and charged the battery on the 1971 Traveller, which has not been used since we moved house in June.

Switched on, let the petrol pump stop ticking. Gave a "count of ten" on the starter. Switched off for a "count of ten" to let the battery recover. Switched on, hit starter,... not worth counting ... she fired almost immediately. I moved her across the front garden, switched off. Haven't moved her since.

It has become apparent that the Traveller is superflous to Barbara's "new" car, and my 1959 Land Rover, which also has scarcelly moved since June (but makes an excellent dust-bin)

Barbara is scheduled to change her Hyundai I10 for a new Ix20 after Xmas (we've moved to MK, to be nearer to our divorced, non-driving daughter, and her two lanky teenagers, and our dog, so need more legroom.). The dealer has indicated that he will take both the i-10 and the Traveller in part-exchange.

I'm rising 80, Barbara is rising 77, we both have "knees", so don't get out much anymore. If we have to walk when we go out, we don't go.The Morris has barely moved in six months (neither has the Land Rover, but it stands me in for a lot more money, and is currently full of stuff to take to the tip).

We are open to suggestions.

HTH

John Williams,
Two Mile Ash
Milton Keynes

Attachments:
MORRIS 1000 TRAVELLER HML364K PO2.jpg    38 KB
MORRIS 1000 TRAVELLER HML364K PO2.jpg

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
How much actual cash value is the the dealer offering on the Traveler? A good one would most likely sell for far more than he is offering. Put price on it, you might be surprised how quick it sells.

rlincoln Ray Costa
Gurnee, IL, USA   USA
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Miss Marple"
John - When I was shopping for a Traveller five years ago I found that they were much more expensive in the UK than they are here, across the pond. Don't just give it away to a dealer unless he gives you substantial money for it. Like you, the joints are going. Two years ago it was my left hip. On February 12, my birthday, I will get a new knee installed for my 71st birthday present. I put my old cars away for the winter, but the last time I tried folding myself into the Traveller, it wasn't easy. The MG TD is easier with the top down, but impossible with the top up, hence the new knee. That, and the pain. Good luck!

Mark 90 Avatar
Mark 90 Mark Chapman
Hove, East Sussex, UK   GBR
1965 Morris Minor 1000 "Maisie"
Took Maisie out for a run.
She's not moved for about 8 weeks, I only started her up a few times and run her up to temperature.

I had noticed there was a very slight misfire which sounded like a spark plug.

So changed plugs and got her ready with all tyre and fluid level checks etc.

Fully expected some brake sticking, but no she was absolutely fine.

I took her out first on my own and she was a delight to drive, engine very responsive and everything light and precise. I had recently replaced rear brakes complete (drums, shoes, sprigs, wheel cylinders, bleed nipples and rear flex pipe along with 2 new handbrake cables), and the braking felt really good.

She was a real delight to drive.
Came back home and took my wife out and we drove around for ages.

Cant wait to take the car out again.

Don't you just love a Moggy Minor?

Attachments:
fullsizeoutput_524.jpeg    71.4 KB
fullsizeoutput_524.jpeg

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Can't beat a good running Minor. Love the Webasto sunroof, what a classy accessory.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Mark 90 Avatar
Mark 90 Mark Chapman
Hove, East Sussex, UK   GBR
1965 Morris Minor 1000 "Maisie"
Hi John,
We think that the sunroof was an original fitment from new as requested by the first owner.
The car was purchased (first registered) on 1st April 1965 from Caffyns Ltd of Tonbridge Kent.
The sunroof has a plate which shows that it was fitted by Caffyns coachworks of Folkestone Kent (see photo).

I don't know anymore than that as I don't have the original bill of sale.

Caffyns is a family car and commercial vehicle dealership that still exists today throughout the counties of Kent and Sussex.

To be honest I was a bit put off the car at first as I don't usually like Webasto sunroofs, but we went to have a look at it anyway. My wife loved it, and I have to say I have grown to like driving along with the roof open on lovely English summer days.

Plus we get lots of comments as it is rather unusual on a Moggy.

Thanks for your comment (albeit from way out west!).

Mark

Attachments:
e575EYvKRJ2zKd2Rayqngg.jpg    54.9 KB
e575EYvKRJ2zKd2Rayqngg.jpg

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi

With some sadness ... but hey, the Midwife Woody has not been driven on the road since we moved house in June ... we traded both SWMBO's Hyundai i10, and my Morris against a brand new Hyundai Ix20.

Good girl .... full choke .... switches on ...petrol pump went "tick, tick, tick, silence" ... turn key for about ten seconds ... Brrrrrmmmmmm!

That was yesterday afternoon. I assume she is still sitting in the yard at the Hyundai dealers in Milton Keynes. She is not my car anymore, but if you have some Xmas cash burning a hole in your pocket, it might be worth a phone call.. Sorry, I won't offer any guidance as to what we traded her for.

It's been nice meeting you all. I might pop in from time to time.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links