welding gear

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kei Kei V
Auckland, Northland, New Zealand   NZL
When I was in my late teens I did a welding course. That was thirty years ago and I forgot most of it.
What kind of basic welding machine is recommended to do the job of welding in missing metal pieces, that have rusted away?
Can I cause some irreversible damage to the car, if I muck it up?
Of course I need a visor as well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:01 AM by 0123.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
KEI,

You might review some of the YOUTUBE videos on the latest welding systems. MIG, TIG, Stick welding has come a long way in 30 + years.

MIG appears to be the "cleanest" form of welding without causing as much post-weld grinding to clean up.

But your the best judge of your skills.

Best of Luck !!
Cam

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
auster Avatar
auster Stephen S
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
In my experience MIG is the only practical way to go welding the thin sections of car bodies. Stick will just blow holes in it and gas burns off too much paint.

I have acquired a gasless MIG which is OK. The finished product is not as neat as gas MIG but it is so much cheaper. Even with MIG it seems practical only to do a series of tacks rather than the long runs that can be done with 3mm+ steel.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:01 AM by 0123.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Gasless MIG?? How brilliant is that ! Is it as dirty as flux core TIG. That stuff splatters a bunch on the the welds i’ve attempted.

Your comment regarding melting through the skin of these cars is so true. There’s also the problem of warping the metal due to prolong welds.

One of the historical ‘Pathway” movies showing the assembly line construction of the Morris, line-workers were using a massive ‘portable’ TAC /Spot welder on the assembly line.
Quick, clean and efficient zapping the cars together and sending them to the next station.
All being said, it might be easier to have a buddy who’s a welder do the work for a keg of ale., afterwards

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:02 AM by 0123.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Kei,

I did a welding course a year ago because like you it had been many moons since I did any serious welding. The instructor hated gas less MIG, so I was anti them, then a couple of months later my father-in-law die and I inherited his gas less. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised, however, practice is the secret you just have to keep doing it, I don't often agree with Mike but I always get someone who is time served to do anything structural on my vehicles.

If you do get a gas MIG rig don't save and use pub gas get CO2 and argon, pub gas is okay for professions but argon improves the weld and makes life easier for us less proficient.

All the best Johnnysmileys with beer

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:04 AM by 0123.

mikec4193 Avatar
mikec4193 Silver Member Mike C
Mechanicville, NY, USA   USA
Hi Morris Minor folks

I have a MIG and I run with a "triple mix" it is CO2, Argon and something else....I run .023" thick wire...I have welded 1950's truck frames with it and you set the numbers low enough on it you can weld 26 gauge sheet metal too...the gas seems to make the welds a lot smoother...the key with MIG is the preparation...you gotta keep everything really clean or the bead won't penetrate and it pops a lot...

my 2 cents

MikeC

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Hey Mike,

The welding instructor of the class I took stressed that "absolute clean prep" is the key to a good weld. Plus a "e' pattern to get the final look of a "stack of dimes" effect.

THe Youtube welder "chucke2009 " and a few other folks have posted a number of outstanding videos for NEWBIES --> Me.
I've watched a number of them for tips and advice- of course my wife thinks I'm nutz !

A good welder is an artist at heart !

- later
Cam

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:04 AM by 0123.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:05 AM by 0123.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Mike D.
The web links of the welding supply house are interesting and informative. but wha the heck is that ?? a mini media blaster ?

A comment as to what the item is would help out us newbs.

- Cam

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 01:06 AM by 0123.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links