Underfloor crossmember installation dimensions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Libjsc John C
Getzville, NY, USA   USA
Looking for installation dimensions for under floor center crossmember on 1958 traveller

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I really don't understand the question. What is the problem? Gearbox cross member?

Libjsc John C
Getzville, NY, USA   USA
When I got the car the car was squared up and on a rotisserie. The cross member was out and one of the supports coming from the front of the car had been replaced. Before I put the crossmember back in I want to check the positioning from a front reference point to the crossmember.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I don't think you can install it wrong. There should be two holes on each side at the bottom of rails, they should have weld nuts inside, the other four holes match up with the top and are screwed in with the removable floor section. If that doesn't work measure center to center from the engine mounts to the gearbox mounts.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
By the way, it would be easier to put the engine and gearbox in first, then attach the crossmember.

Libjsc John C
Getzville, NY, USA   USA
It is not the transmission crossmember that I am referring to. It is the welded in center section that goes from rocker to rocker and serves as the structural member that supports the floor sections and center floor section.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The one the torsion bars attach to ? I could take that measurement in the morning.

Libjsc John C
Getzville, NY, USA   USA
Yes. That is the one. Thanks for your help.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I don't know if you have this picture or not or if you have installed one of these front ends before so here goes. I would not trust a tape measure to accurately install that crossmember, if it's 1/16" too far forward you can't slide that C washer in, if it's too far. Back the splines in front will barely be in the arms. I would assemble the bottom suspension, find a1/16 washer that will fit through the hole in the crossmember and put it on the torsion bar first, that will give you enough play to remove the C washer for disassembly. Snug it all up and weld in position. You don't need to do the tension part right now. Another note, I hope they marked the torsion bars left and right, they need to go back where they came from!

Attachments:
image.jpg    42.1 KB
image.jpg

Libjsc John C
Getzville, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for the info. Here goes nothing.

T ferg Silver Member Tony Ferguson
Harrison, TN, USA   USA
I am about to undertake replacing center crossmember on my 67 minor also, I like the suggestion about putting the torsion bars in place before welding, any other advice about this job would be greatly appreciated

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Check the torsion bar also puts the wheel in the right place thumbs up

Harrison, TN, USA   USA
Thanks

Harrison, TN, USA   USA
Just finished replacing the center crossmember on my minor, alignment was not a problem , dealing with the spot welds and weld seams, was where the rub was for me

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 33999 by T ferg Just finished replacing the center crossmember on my minor, alignment was not a problem , dealing with the spot welds and weld seams, was where the rub was for me How did you ease the rub please Tony smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1933 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links