Tyre (tire) advice.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fin H Fin Hartas
Taunton, Somerset, UK   GBR
The time has come to buy new tyres, though some of them still have life in them I'm planning a 500ish mile trip to another country and want to have a fresh set.

I've been scouring the forums and can't find any consistent information on what will fit my rims, currently running 145/80/14's on standard saloon rims, some people say that 155 is the apsolute max for these rims while others have said they've been running 165's for years without issue.

I've found some well priced MRF 165/80/14's and hovered over the buy button but I don't want to kick myself afterwards (or die) if they are way off what I should be buying. Can I measure my rim width with the tyre still on?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Fin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
I had to do this in order to identify a set of rims I was possibly going to buy.

The standard 14 x 3.5 rim will measure 3 5/16" on the back side from the outer edge of the rim to the back of the center section and on the front the center will protrude 1/8" outside of the edge of the rim.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: these measurements were taken from the wheels on my 1960 Tourer.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 07:49 AM by minimarc.

Fin H Fin Hartas
I visited a local mechanic who apparently used to work on Moggies a lot, he said 165 would probably fit but not in a safe way. Think I'll just bypass the deal and go for 155's, it's a bummer but I'd rather dish out than end up in a ditch.

Thanks your your response Bob, I think I'll give the rims a measure anyway just so I know for future reference, whoever owned the car before me may have changed them.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
The smallest legal rims for165s are 4J Fin.

I think van wheels are 4J

Min legal size for 155s is also 4J.

If you have saloon rims they are 3J I'm afraid.
Thanks Rob thumbs up

Best check with your insurance company before
you go mad with your card sad smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 11:10 AM by 0123.

Fin H Fin Hartas
Well spotted Mike, does that mean my only option is 145's? They're so expensive when compared to the larger alternatives, I'll definately give the rims a measure before I buy anything!

Just out of interest where did you find the legalities for rims and wheels? I'd be interested to see, a local guy who's been helping me rebuild my Moggie has a few of his own, one of which is running Toyo 155/80/14's

Thanks again for pointing that out!

Fin

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
I've been running 155 X 14 (probably 80 section) for decades on my Minors quite successfully. One car has Michelins XAS and one car has Firestone F560, both are 155 X 14. You can use 145 X 14 size but they look a bit undersized in my opinion but the car will probably steer easier..

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Fin H Fin Hartas
I've seen and heard a lot of people using 155's on what I'd assume is standard saloon/2door rims so I'm quite surprised by Mike's comment.

I suppose what may be illegal in the UK might be different in the US as regarding tyres. The mechanic at the garage suggested 155's too so not quite sure what's what.

Thanks for responding John!

Fin

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 32932 by Fin H Well spotted Mike, does that mean my only option is 145's? Effectively, there's no law enforcement in the UK Finn.
It's pretty much do as you darn well pleasy.

The middle road is to check your insurance company
will cover you if you fit 155s

The other route is to fit van wheels.
Which you should declare to your ins co.
They're so expensive when compared to the larger alternatives, I'll definately give the rims a measure before I buy anything!

Just out of interest where did you find the legalities for rims and wheels? Tyre companies issue tyre technical data books.
Technical data books tell you about rin width etc.
I'd be interested to see, a local guy who's been helping me rebuild my Moggie has a few of his own, one of which is running Toyo 155/80/14's Most car enthusiasts are seat of the pants pilots.
Most motoring mishaps are down to pilot error.
Most Aviation ones too.

Thanks again for pointing that out! Please may I point you that you need lower pressures with bigger tyres smiling smiley

Fin

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, AZ, USA   USA
Personally .... I prefer the 145s, light steering at any speed, very accurate turning. I have firestone F560s and maybe its the nature of the tire but very happy with them. 155 will introduce an amount of sloppiness to the ride ... a lot of people wont notice or not be bothered by it

0123 Mike D
Why would a 155 be after introducing sloppyness please Stuart smiling smiley

Fin H Fin Hartas
I think my plan has gone from going for a full set to asking the mechanic at the garage which ones he thinks need replacing and going from there. Or when I call to get insured (car is SORN) I'll ask what the deal is with 155's otherwise I'd just replace bad tyres with fresh 145's.

Thanks for all advice and comments so far!

Fin

0123 Mike D
Best is to replace in pairs Finn.

New ones on the back thumbs up

If you want reasons, ask smiling smiley

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 32947 by 0123 Why would a 155 be after introducing sloppyness please Stuart smiling smiley

Don't know the physics going on Mike .... Lots of people use and are happy with 155s, I understand its "oversize" and not an ideal fit on a 3 1/2 inch rim and the result is an element of sloppiness. Personal preference then, I can feel the difference and i like 145s. Maybe the lower pressure used with 155s has something to do with it ? Dunno.

0123 Mike D
Thank you Stuart thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 02:56 PM by 0123.

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Standard Minor wheels are not 3.5 inch, only 3 inch. The idea of them being 3.5 has floated around for years and often been retold but the evidence is plain. They measure 3 inches between beads and are stamped with the size in the well of the rim. I'd be happy to be proved wrong but nobody has been able to come upi with a photo of a 3.5 inch rim. Same with the 4 inch Van rims.

Here is a standard wheel with the markings inked in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 02:29 AM by usmh3.

Attachments:
bob5.jpg    43.9 KB
bob5.jpg

bob6.jpg    26.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links