Tyre (tire) advice.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
In reply to # 34557 by tjt77 the Pirelli 'Cinturato' had been in production since the late 1960s..and 'revived' several times since in order to supply the 'classic' market.. its a relatiively long lasting tyre that holds it shape well (hence little steering wheel shake when tyres are older or left sitting in one spot for a while) but they dont grip[ well on wet roads ( especially as they age) and are very costly in comparison to other suitable tyres for the Minor.. in short :- overkill.. the Firestone F560 and any number of Asian imports are quite 'up to the job'.. and far more economically priced.. why put a string of pearls on a pig ? ( caveat.. for performance enhanced minors cable of 80-90mph..they are likely worthwhile.)

What are you talking about?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Think it's a case of individual choice and what suits your requirements. On my Midget which is pretty original I wouldn't hesitate with such tyres, but my Minor which is not so original and more geared to everyday driving and long trips, then a good tyre at a reasonable price is what I want.

I can fully see why you want the Pirelli

In the same way I can see why the Bridgestone suit my needs.

Have a great Sunday Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 07:01 AM by johnnyw637.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Timothy, When you say "relatively long lasting" are you referring to tread life or over all life of the tire in years? My cars get low annual mileages so tread wear is never an issue. But tire shops are becoming so gun shy, even to the point of outright refusing to do anything with a tire that they say is "too old" even to removing and patching a nail hole even if the tire has 80% of its tread left and shows absolutely NO sign of cracking or rubber deterioration. Minors are not a Ferrari or 7000 pound pickup capable of 100MPH plus so tires are not highly stressed yet the same arbitrary legal restrictions are being enforced by tire shops. I may live dangerously, but have tires well over 10 years that are in fine shape for a car that is not driven over 50MPH and has its tire pressures checked religiously. The cynical in me says this is a new effort by tire shops to sell more tires even though they will not have, or be able to obtain (at least in the USA), a proper tire to fit a Minor. I had a friend who was sold four new tires for a Morris that were 175 60 X 14 (clearly the wrong size) even though the car had perfectly fine Michelin 155 80 X 14 tires on the car. Let the discussion begin.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 34557 by tjt77 the Pirelli 'Cinturato' had been in production since the late 1960s..and 'revived' several times since in order to supply the 'classic' market.. its a relatiively long lasting tyre that holds it shape well (hence little steering wheel shake when tyres are older or left sitting in one spot for a while) but they dont grip[ well on wet roads ( especially as they age) and are very costly in comparison to other suitable tyres for the Minor.. in short :- overkill.. the Firestone F560 and any number of Asian imports are quite 'up to the job'.. and far more economically priced.. why put a string of pearls on a pig ? ( caveat.. for performance enhanced minors cable of 80-90mph..they are likely worthwhile.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Now I could be wrong but aren't American tyres made of a harder wearing compound than European spec. I know American spec have Dot mark and European E mark and a few tyres have both marks on. Rule of thumb in UK for as long as I remember has been 10 years Max, from manufacturing as UV light break down the compound, most noticeable in trailers and caravans that have stood in one place for a time . I've never had a set of tyres for more than 4 years, though I do drive a fair bit.

In my case perhaps it is over kill, but it comes with piece of mind, so I am happy.
Then as I say each to their own. Perhaps I am the mug that takes advice from a trusted tyre store.

Interesting winter debate though smiling smiley

Enjoy your day everyone

Johnny

Limey Trucker gary waller
LONDON UK, London, UK   GBR
I have a set of 14 inch tyres that I don't need
100 the 4
07803 600434
I am in Essex UK btw
Regs
Gary

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR

I kind of have to retort to the above coment, because it seems that every bit of it is wrong.

Pirelli Cinturato developed 1952

as the second radial tyre, in period it lasted much longer than the crossply of the day. but the current compounds are developed to work well in the wet, longevity is not the defining factor because often classic car tyres get to 10 years old before they wear out.

renoun for there grip in period, which is why they were fitted as OE by Alfa, Ferrari, Maserati, Rover P6, MGB, Lotus Elite, etc.

Recent back to back testing of classic tyres gave th Cinturato CN36 (granted not the CA67) by far the best results. Specially in the wet.

i think if you check the cost of the Cinturato you will find it isn't rediculous. Obviously they aren't cheap. they are fair. The Firestone F560 was historically a bargain when it was actually made by Firestone themselves. It was a pretty good tyre then as well, although it was not a period tyre and looks a bit funny.

granted you don't need 130mph performance. but they look right and feel right when you drive on them. And if you love your pig treat it to some pearls.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Dougal,

A very interesting read. To me it also highlights why these wonderful cars are liked and owned from factory floor to bishops, because they are so easily tailored to ones own tastes and needs.

It was your feel comment that struck a chord with me, because it's about the drive for myself. The reason I don't like budget tyres the compound just doesn't sound right, to my ear. Since updating the seats, because the family didn't like the lack of comfort in the old ones, the originality has become less of an issue to me, though not completely as we all must have a fair degree of compassion for the past. That said if budget tyres are your thing fine.

Likewise Dougal, I assume the look of the period is paramount, to yourself along with quality (forgive me if I am wrong). That in itself is a wonderful thing, it's the reason you can go somewhere like the 70th anniversary at Kelmarsh and meet such wide ranging people and see such an array of same model but so different cars.

On the quality front, it's ashame more of us weren't prepared to pay that bit more, how often do you hear the phrase cheap Chinese rubbish.
The key phrase there is cheap, if we paid the Chinese to make quality points for example they would, but instead we pay pennies then complain when the points fail after 250 miles. Kind of feel it's our fault not theirs. Anyway I'm going off the tyre track.

And how can you call this wonderful jelly mould a pig!

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 03:39 AM by johnnyw637.

Nasher Dougal Cawley/A
Doncaster, UK   GBR
there are tyres out there that are good as tyres fitted to a modern car that won't drive so well on a Mogey Minor as a period tyre like the Cinturato or the Michelin X do because these period tyres are built to suit classic car geometry, where a modern tyre is designed to be fitted to a car with its wheels fitted at a different angle. its not the look that counts. that is a bonus.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
That makes sense.

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
hi there,
never thought of a Morris minor as a "Jelly Mold" , but looking at the shape, that's exactly what it looks like and would possibly
create the best jelly in the world, so Ice carvers just watch out, here we come with an original idea in the famous MM shape....cool smiley
peter

in fact I wonder if a Jelly mold has ever been made in the MM shape, I would love to own one..eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-13 05:17 PM by tappetTwo.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Pete,

You'd certainly not go short of servings. As for the jelly mould name, I'm sure I read it in a Morris Minor Owners Club magazine, much as I love them you have to call a spade a spade smileys with beer

All the best Johnny

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1953 Morris Oxford

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links