Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CanadianMM Avatar
CanadianMM Peter Blunden
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
The red leather seats in my 1958 2-door saloon are in pretty good condition. There is some minor scuffing that I'd like to touch up. The leather is good in those areas, and it's just the finish that is gone. I'd like to avoid redoing the seats completely, as that seems like overkill. I know there are companies that will make a custom dye if I send them a sample, but surely the red leather interior is so common that cutting out a piece is unnecessary.

Has anyone touched up their seats with dye, and is there an off-the-shelf solution? I'm not looking for perfection, just making the seats more presentable.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Seat2.jpg    41.3 KB
Seat2.jpg

Seat1.jpg    46 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Method 3 Repairing Deep Scuffs and Scratches

Clean the area and trim away loose fibers. ...

Use a sponge to apply 8 to 10 coats of leather binder. ...

Sand the area using a fine grain sandpaper. ...
Apply heavy filler to deep scratches. ...

Sand and wipe with an alcohol-based cleaner. ...

Recolor and seal the repaired surface.

3 Ways to Fix Scuffed Leather - wikiHow

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Scuffed-Leather

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
My wife buys soray leather dye to change colour on shoes handbags etc. Looks like you need to replace the bottom strapping

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
The image shows that there is an issue with the cushion on the seat..(its dropped and is way too low at the back) it should be repaired properly.. almost certainly the webbing (which supports the cushion) has issues and the cushion itself may have sustained damage..due to age and normal wear.
this is putting far too much 'uneven' load on the leather cover and its stitching.. its already started to stretch and will eventually tear out the stitching and rip the leather if not properly addressed.. (plus the seat is likely uncomfortable as its not giving the support it should)
The 'cosmetic' issue is addressed in the post above and is relatively straightforward to sort out... your primary issue is 'structural' ( but not difficult to correct.. almost every upholstery shop is familiar with what needs to be done) ....adding shiny paint on a bad foundation is akin to putting lipstick up on a pig..

0123 Mike D
I wonder if I might add please smiling smiley

Your seat was designed to suit a a driver weighing around 160lbs.

Depending on your weight,
you may need twice as many support straps.

The gaps between the holes for the seat hooks are equally spaced,
so increasing the number of straps is easy peazey.

Does anyone know id denser foam seat cusions are available please smiling smiley

In reply to # 33033 by tjt77 The image shows that there is an issue with the cushion on the seat..(its dropped and is way too low at the back) it should be repaired properly.. almost certainly the webbing (which supports the cushion) has issues and the cushion itself may have sustained damage..due to age and normal wear.
this is putting far too much 'uneven' load on the leather cover and its stitching.. its already started to stretch and will eventually tear out the stitching and rip the leather if not properly addressed.. (plus the seat is likely uncomfortable as its not giving the support it should)
The 'cosmetic' issue is addressed in the post above and is relatively straightforward to sort out... your primary issue is 'structural' ( but not difficult to correct.. almost every upholstery shop is familiar with what needs to be done) ....adding shiny paint on a bad foundation is akin to putting lipstick up on a pig..

Sl55per John Clegg
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK   GBR
Made me think....

John

Attachments:
the wife an a good day.jpg    37.7 KB
the wife an a good day.jpg

CanadianMM Avatar
CanadianMM Peter Blunden
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the information so far. This is a new car for me, and I removed the seats so that the straps and foam can be replaced, and minor repairs to the stitching can be made. It's a good suggestion to add more straps for extra support.

As far as the dye is concerned, I was hoping someone would know if there is somewhere in the UK I can get it off-the-shelf, given that the red leather interior is so common. Perhaps someone has extra that they are not using that I could purchase from them?

0123 Mike D
I think you need to approach the companies that make the new upholstery.
You make even get a RAL number that way.

Colour matching against swatches in your State / light is a better way to go though.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
For 58 it already has straps between the straps but only going across the seats. The later cars have them going both directions but with space between. You have to go to someone who does automotive upholstery to get the denser foam. Household chairs use much lighter foam. The original foam was dense but the underside was cored out. For some reason they were trying to make it softer. However, if it's too hard, it becomes easy to slide of the seat.

0123 Mike D
Sliding off the seat is a bit of a nuisance on our twisty roads Jim.
Hence the underside was cored.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
We have twisting roads as well in some parts. The coring didn't make much of a bucket since it went right to the edge with too small and soft of an edge, but I guess the it's the thought that counts. Looking for a generic replacement which won't be cored you will be relying on the deflection of the the straps but need a dense foam for good height, so sliding off is likely. Softer foam isn't a solution. Perhaps a dense perimeter glued to a bit softer center might work.

0123 Mike D
I doubt if there is a solution beyond putting folks on just post war rations Jim.

I used a TR4 seat in my Minors.

Timeline
27 May 1945: Bacon ration cut from 4 to 3 ounces/week. Cooking fat ration cut from 2 to 1 ounces/week. Soap ration cut by an eighth, except for babies and young children.[41] The referenced newspaper article predicted that households would be grossly hampered in making food items that included pastry.
1 June 1945: The basic petrol ration for civilians was restored.[20]
19 July 1945: In order to preserve the egalitarian nature of rationing, gift food parcels from overseas weighing more than 5 lb (2.3 kg) would be deducted from the recipient's ration.
Summer 1946: Continual rain ruined Britain's wheat crop. Bread rationing started.
January–March 1947: Winter of 1946–1947 in the United Kingdom: long hard frost and deep snow. Frost destroyed a huge amount of stored potatoes. Potato rationing started.
Mid-1947: A transport and dock strike, which among other effects caused much loss of imported meat left to rot on the docks, until the Army broke the strike. The basic petrol ration was stopped.[20]
1 June 1948: The Motor Spirit (Regulation) Act 1948 was passed,[42] ordering a red dye to be to put into some petrol, and that red petrol was only allowed to be used in commercial vehicles. A private car driver could lose his driving licence for a year if red petrol was found in his car. A petrol station could be shut down if it sold red petrol to a private car driver. See List of Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, 1940–1959: 1948.
June 1948: The basic petrol ration was restored, at a third of its previous size.
1948: Bread came off ration.
May 1949: Clothes rationing ended. According to one author,[20] this was because attempts to enforce it were defeated by continual massive illegality (black market, unofficial trade in loose clothing coupons (many forged), bulk thefts of unissued clothes ration books).
23 February 1950: The 1950 general election is fought largely on the issue of rationing. The Conservative Party campaigned on a manifesto of ending rationing as quickly as possible.[2] The Labour Party argued for the continuation of rationing indefinitely. Labour was returned, but with its majority badly slashed to 5 seats.
26 May 1950: Petrol rationing ended.[43]
25 October 1951: United Kingdom general election, 1951. The Conservatives came back into power.
February 1953: Confectionery rationing ended.
September 1953: Sugar rationing ended.
4 July 1954: Meat and all other food rationing ended in Britain.[44]

Attachments:
ferd.jpg    51.3 KB
ferd.jpg

archie123 Avatar
archie123 Roger Wilkinson
Llandudno, Conwy, UK   GBR
1969 Morris Minor 1000 "Archie"
I used a product from Amazon called Angelus leather dye. My headlining would not come clean so I re dyed it with this stuff, coloured stone and it is brilliant. Remains flexible and after 4 years looks as good as new. They do a full range of colours and are very reasonably priced.

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 33035 by Sl55per Made me think....

John

what a beautiful pig,does it have wings and is it Danish? winking smiley
Peter

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
I replaced the webbing with stiff rubber panel designed I believe to upgrade the seats. From Bull Motif part number TRM803A it has been VERY EFFECTIVE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-06 07:00 AM by Roger46.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links