Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
[[center][/center]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:19 AM by 0123.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Antonnick Avatar
Antonnick antonia N
Fulda, hessen, Germany   DEU
I think perhaps you are on the woodway grinning smiley

Reference is often made to the less than perfect oil supply and pressure to the upper head which can ( but only when consistently driven to its limits) lead to oil starvation and premature wear on the valve guides. There is actually a modification available from "mini spares" to increase the oil flow to the upper head but for normal use this is not necessary.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:18 AM by 0123.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bela Winfried Müller
Nuremberg, Bavaria, Germany   DEU
In the 70th there was a hype about such oils. Is it obsolete because available oils are better than those of the 70th? Who uses it?

Bela Winfried Müller
I'd found some information about the VIN in the web of STEVENS (a german supplier) - Hints.
An other Information is, that the VIN could be stamped into the bulkhead. Can anyone confirm that for a Morris Minor 1000 build in 1965? I didn't found such a mark . The engine compartment had been sprayed.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:18 AM by 0123.

Antonnick Avatar
Antonnick antonia N
At some time - but I do not know exactly when, Morris stopped stamping the chassis number under the bonnet and started to stamp it on the floor panel under the driver's feet. Unfortunately this panel is often replaced due to it rusting away and then the number is lost.

Edit - I have done some research and during 1965, the change in where the chassis number was stamped into the shell came about, so do check the floor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 09:16 AM by Antonnick.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:17 AM by 0123.

Bela Winfried Müller
In reply to # 34463 by Antonnick ..... so do check the floor.

Yes- in the meantime Andy from Charles Ware's told me, that from the factory the VIN number would have been stamped into the O/S floorpan but this has been replaced in the restoration.

Antonnick Avatar
Antonnick antonia N
It is not difficult to stamp the floor yourself with the VIN number

Lilling Hall Quentin Gallagher
Waterlooville, Hampshire, UK   GBR
Blimey. These days I don't often find myself thinking that we are lucky not to be too tightly regulated in Britain. Congratulations for persevering. Funny thing is, my Minor has most of those things - hazard flashers, (small) km/h markings, an all-over steering lock - and rear fog and reversing lamps, but it doesn't have to.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:17 AM by 0123.

Bela Winfried Müller
No - the car is garaged and covered with a hood 20 mls away. Next chance I'll have a look. Is the number under or on the floor?

Bela Winfried Müller
I'd had a look but didn't found a VIN.

In the meantime I'd talked to the TÜV. It seems the conversion from 2door to convertible will be no problem. The disc brakes will be also no problem because disc brakes were announced with the Morris Marina 6 years later.

Only the brake servo is a little bit suspect.

But the modern shock absorbers may be a trap. They are equal to Karman Gia. Next are the brake lines made of copper or copper mixture. I've seen that MOSS and also Charles Ware's don't offer steel lines anymore - only copper based lines. And last the valances are made out of fibreglas. Fibreglas is an old technique but when was it used as a Moggy valance first time?

Does anyone have experience with that items ?

Next week the registration office will decide if §21 obsolet and if registration is possible without TÜV. But I guess that will not work for a "H-Kennzeichen".

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Been running Morris Minors for over 50 years and never did any special upper cylinder lubrication and have not suffered any issues. What workshop manual did you find this service recommendation in? I think you should be fine with periodic engine oil and filter changes per the recommended interval, or more frequently if car is only used for low annual mileages.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Minor 1000 Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links