Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
hi there,
my car , a morris minor tourer is under full restoration.
The steering rack was rebuilt about 4 years ago, painted an reinstalled.
The car is up on my hoist and I had just refitted the track rods and turned the wheels side to side.
It made a strange noise and I wonder if this is only because the steering and suspension gear is not under load?

See the video at :

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoPwWaA

all suggestions gratefully received ...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-23 10:08 PM by tappetTwo.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Pete,

Not an expert as others are here, but have you greased the rack and are the couplings to the steering shaft new or used? It seems that the sound is at a given point of the full stroke so maybe some part is jogging when it gets to a position that has play in it.
As I say, I'm guessing here since i'm not an expert or even areal amateur. !

Do let us know what you find out when it does get resolved, as it helps us all learn from each other over time.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Does it do it when car is on the ground using steering wheel to turn wheels? It may be just the weird angle the parts are.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Try doing it slower and have someone notice the steering wheel position (or line on the pinion) when the noise is made. If it repeats at the same spot, then it's possibly a bad tooth on the pinion but it's it's unrelated then it's a bad spot on the rack. If not consistent when it happens then it could be due to the hanging suspension or the rack is rattling. Also check the inner ball joint.

tjt77 timothy Trevithick
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
Likely nothing wrong.. when up in the air with suspension on bump stops, the angles of the tie rods are quit extreme and my place an uneven load on the rack itself.. which may translate as an odd noise when ran form lock to lock each way.. original BMC recommend gear oil to be pumped via the zerk fitting..in practice this proved to a messy business leading to oil leaks on the ground and causing the boots to rot out fast ( todays reproduction boots are often crappy quailty and tend to disintegrate within short time) so most people assemble with synthetic grease today .. if both rack and pinion are short on lube they tend to came noise when under uneven load.. basically check for play in inner tie rods and for any looseness of any parts ..if its all tight (i.e. no obvious wear) ..and it operates from lock to lock with out noticeable binding ..then all well and good.

tappetTwo pete kd
hi,
thank you all for your replys,
When I reassembled the rack, I coated the teeth with lots of grease, I have since been advised that pumping in "Fluid Grease", is better than straight oil , as it will eventually leak out via the rubber boots.

I cannot reason why the design of the unit placed the nipple at the Opposite end of the rack, as far away from the working end with the teeth? but then that BMC engineering for you of the 60's...... : eye rolling smiley

Has anyone managed to install a grease nipple over the teeth end of the rack, to me that seems the most obvious modification, to ensure proper lubrication! : smiling smiley
Peter

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The lubricant is also for the rack sliding on the casing.

tappetTwo pete kd
Update

hi there,
I have been told by a very experienced morris mechanic that the rack is noisy when up on a hoist with the wheels unsupported.
That is how my car is ,so is making the noise that I was concerned about.
When it is on the ground no noise is apparent and the action smooth as before..
peter

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
Use Fluid grease. When the rack is turned the gaitors act like bellows and the grease, IF FLUID, is pushed from side to side. Solid grease will not move like this. The only problem is that you need an oil gun, not a grease gun, for this one job come service time!

Roger46 Roger Webb
East Grinstead, West sussex, UK   GBR
Use Fluid grease. When the rack is turned the gaitors act like bellows and the grease, IF FLUID, is pushed from side to side. Solid grease will not move like this. The only problem is that you need an oil gun for this one job come dervice time!

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Roger, ice, and glass are fluids.

Yer needs a grease wot yer can see flow in cold weather.

Centrifugal force while cornering shifts oil along the rack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 01:47 AM by 0123.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
You might want review the helpful video created by a Mr. John Twist on youtube for a possible solution.

Mr. Twist has a number of helpful tips for MGs and Morris alike ..

As for you posting of you car on the lift - Man that is SOME KIND of racket it's making....

Best of Luck and please post your progress. - I'm sure that I'll be dealing with something like that soon too..

Cam

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links