spin on oil filter kit problem

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

velorider Robert Lowe
Yealmpton, Devon, UK   GBR
Hi All, Another small problem. I tried to fit a spin on oil conversion kit to my car but the hole in the block was the wrong shape for the flange of the kit, see pics.

According to Charles Ware there is no direct replacement kit for my car. I am wondering whether to make an adapter plate to suit but I guess there might be some complications. Anybody got any good ideas?

My car is transformed now that the old filter isn't vibrating against the bodywork after jacking up the engine mounts. Thanks for all your help on that topic, Best, Bob.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_8034.JPG    38.9 KB
IMG_8034.JPG

IMG_8037.JPG    44.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Wish I could help Robert,

I have exactly the same problem with my 1964 Midget, it has a Purolator filter housing like your one and the kits appear to be made for the other standard or perhaps more common filter canister Tecalemit.
My 1960 Moggy has the Tecalemit and an easy swap as you would expect. I know Moss do a kit that they says fits straight on with an adaptor, but at the price I didn't want to risk it.

I hope someone does have an easy solution, as even the bolts on the Purolator are two or 3 times longer than the Tacalemit unit.

Good luck Johnny

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:26 AM by 0123.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Robert,

0123 has it right ! But it really only needs to be a thin 16ga to 10ga sheet of steel or aluminum to hold the pressure in my opinion, maybe then no new studs needed. Then as he said cut the hole for the new adapter size in the middle and for the 2 studs, then you should be good to go. Haven't done this myself , but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Let us know how it comes out winking smiley

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
If the adapter is too thin it may bend since it is not supported along the top. If it was stamped with a bit of a flange, then a thin piece would work. 1/8in might be enough.

0123 Mike D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:25 AM by 0123.

velorider Robert Lowe
Yealmpton, Devon, UK   GBR
Hi All, Thanks for your suggestions. I think I agree with Mike that the plate ought to be fairly thick to be strong enough not to buckle.

Still not happy about the very large hole in the block and in the the original filter. Will the oil from that large hole feed happily in to the small one on the replacement filter mounting? Bob.

0123 Mike D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:25 AM by 0123.

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:24 AM by 0123.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Seems a good simple solution,

Why have I been over complicating it all this time LOL smileys with beer

Thanks guys

Johnny

0123 Mike D

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links