AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mikec4193 Avatar
mikec4193 Silver Member Mike C
Mechanicville, NY, USA   USA
Hi Morris Minor Folks

I signed up a couple years back now made a few posts and then I got sidetracked into several other venues of vintage cars...I was on the HAMB recently and they were talking about Morris Minors and it got me to thinking about getting one again...I have found a few here and there and the prices seem to be all over the place....parts seem to be fairly prevalent too which is huge with any vintage car...

My deal is what is going to make this car a fun deal to have and also drive???.... I have found with most of my other projects...I enjoy fiddling with them but when it came time to actually take them out on the road...it was a huge letdown...

You folks gotta tell me why I should want one of these cool little cars???

Sincerely Yours

MikeC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have one because it's a family thing. As far back as I can remember my dad had Morris cars. I learned to drive in a Minor, I had one when I met my wife 52 years ago. Besides all that it's fun to drive and you get to meet new people every time you go out.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:16 AM by 0123.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kiwiminor Ray Willis
Prince Albert, SK, Canada   CAN
Mike,
The reasons for owning a M/Minor are many and varied, and there will be numerous people who will give you an account of their experiences. This Forum is an example of the type of person who typically owns a M/M. They are generally such down-to-earth, friendly, and practical people who have expressed themselves in a car which reflects their personality and not necessarily their financial-status, as so many other marque-owners do.
Besides, a M/M is a 'real-car' because it is comparatively easy to work-on with a carb and points, it is front-engined and rear-wheel-driven. Unlike most of the modern s..... stuff that almost requires an electrical-engineer to determine any faults/problems and is beset with repair-procedures that necessitate being a contortionist to change-the-plugs!
If you do buy a M/M, it is hoped that you are still young enough to enjoy the many more years of motoring pleasure that is what a M/Minor provides. Some of the Forum members have been M/M-owners a decade after they quit wearing disposable underwear, and now they might be old enough to wear them again, but that 'DEPENDS'
Ray W

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:15 AM by 0123.

Sl55per John Clegg
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK   GBR
Mike
Because it puts a smile on the face of most people you meet....

Johnwinking smiley

doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
You answered the question yourself. "cool little cars"

Please excuse some of the offhand comments from other members. Normally a good forum for help.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Mike,

I totally agree with Ray and Phillip. Phillip must have family back in the old country because as a Brit everyone born before about 1980, had family members who had one, hence lots of happy childhood memories and nostalgia. Remember as well, that they were made from 1948 to 1971 so a long run and a lot around, the shape is distinctive so easily recognised adding to the nostalgia. Also as Ray says a practical down to earth car, who ownership ranges across all walks of life.

But if you didn't like the drive then it's not for you, but a good question to ask.
Be interested to know what your idea of a good to drive classic is?

All the best Johnny

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Yep, I was bourn in Bournemouth in 1946, Early 50's all six of us went everywhere in dad's 1932 Morris 10. 1958 we moved to Ecuador, then Puerto Rico. PuertoRico is where we had the 1955 Traveller and later I bought my 2 door Minor for $75.00. They said the engine was bad and the gearbox didn't shift right. I put oil in the dashpot and it ran fine all over the island, up and down the mountains.I have owned Mini's, about 20 MG's two Metropolitans, 4 Cortinas, 1 Capri, varies Hillmans, including an Imp,TriumphHerald, and the list goes on. I lost count many years ago at around 200 cars I have owned and I can count on 1 hand how many had V8 engines. I'll keep the Morris thank you.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 34515 by 66jalopy Yep, I was bourn in Bournemouth in 1946, Early 50's all six of us went everywhere in dad's 1932 Morris 10. 1958 we moved to Ecuador, then Puerto Rico. PuertoRico is where we had the 1955 Traveller and later I bought my 2 door Minor for $75.00. They said the engine was bad and the gearbox didn't shift right. I put oil in the dashpot and it ran fine all over the island, up and down the mountains.I have owned Mini's, about 20 MG's two Metropolitans, 4 Cortinas, 1 Capri, varies Hillmans, including an Imp,TriumphHerald, and the list goes on. I lost count many years ago at around 200 cars I have owned and I can count on 1 hand how many had V8 engines. I'll keep the Morris thank you.

Phillip,

That is a truly fantastic reason to own a Moggy and a wonderful history. Bournemouth to Ecuador, that must have been a big culture shock. You've certainly had some wonderful cars, be interested on what you thought of the Herald, as I bought one recently for a big birthday my wife's got in July. It's stored 50 miles away hidden under wraps as a surprise, since she often tells the tale of how she had to give up the beautiful car she was about to buy, so that we could afford the deposit on our first home. Even if it was the worst car you've driven as it's not mine to drive it doesn't matter either way, though I'd like to think she might keep it smileys with beer

Think you are right on the dash pots as mine eats more oil than my Midget. The engine appeared a bit lumpy on my long run in the summer and all it was, was the carburetion due to lack of dash pot oil.

Johnny

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The Herald was a good car, drove well, railed a lot, mainly the forward opens bonnet. Turned on a sixpence. I felt the Morris was a more solid car tho. Taught my older sister to drive in the Herald and the let her have it. You must remember tho, My top price to pay for a car back then was $200.00. I even vacationed in England in 1971, bought a Mini 850 for £100.00 and drove it from Bournemouth to Scotland and back with my wife, dad and 2 year old son. Didn't have any power so took the head off, replaced the exhaust valves and all was good. Gave it to my other sister that still lives over there before going home to Puerto Rico.

Ecuador pics from 1984 with my dad, brother and sisters family 14,000' up the Cotopaxi volcano. All of us in the worn out Land Rover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 06:36 PM by 66jalopy.

Attachments:
IMG_0804.JPG    48 KB
IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG    27.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0802.JPG    32.9 KB
IMG_0803.JPG    30.2 KB
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
smileys with beer Cheers Phillip,

Another fascinating and wonderful post. I did see an old advert on YouTube that demonstrated the great turning circle, good to know it's true. Now your Mini tale kicks my Highlands in the Moggy into touch LOL

Thanks Johnny

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I was over there in 2012 to visit my sister, she was in Wales at the time. Went to her daughters home in Ireland, she has a decent 1955 Moggy. She also has a summer home in Italy in the mountains, 1975 Triumph Dolomite up there. Live on top of big hill, battery flat when we got there, it started by time we got to bottom of hill and drove all over south Italy in the next week. She and her husband drove that car from Ireland to Italy.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
That's also good to know as the Herald has a Dolomite replacement engine cool smiley

Sounds a wonderful place your nieces

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
It all depends on what you are looking for or expecting. Minors are not ANTIQUES in that they have the minimum of modern equipment as opposed to earlier cars so that regular driving or trips a more practical. Yet as mentioned, very easy to work on. If you want back into the seat acceleration, then maybe not. If you want a car that most don't recognize and you can have a blast handling a back road, then maybe it is. The other side of the coin is since they are not a hot "classic" that must be bone stock down to the inspection marks in order to be accepted. All making you scared to drive it because road grime decreases the value. Therefore, it can also be a blank canvass to do whatever you want to it since the buy in can be on the low side for a deep project Minor. The short wheelbase may not be the best for super high power, but a nice modern 100hp power unit is a real alternative to make it an everyday vehicle with unlimited mods in between. If you are on a budget, there's not much better and still have fun. It's in the DRIVE.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Morris Mini Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links