Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MinorForum

Morris Minor Chat

Side Valve oil pump to distributor drive shaft.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Manly West, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Hi All

I have a question reference the oil pump drive slot for the distributor on my 918 cc side valve engine. At the risk of offending the puritans I am replacing my distributor with a electronic ignition that uses a crank angle sensor on the fan belt drive pulley, in corporation with a module and waste spark coil pack. As a result I no longer require the distributor and I'm going to turn up a plug to fill the place where the distributor once was. I have extracted the distributor and the drive shaft and looking down I can see the drive slot. My (hopefully dumb) question is "will the distributor drive slot remain in place post removal of distributor and shaft or does the distributor and shaft assist in keeping the drive in position?

I have put a magnetic probe down onto the drive and is seems secure, so I assume the removal of the shaft and distributor will not cause any problems.
Is there anyone out there to confirm or debunk my assumption.

Kind Regards
Graham

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
There is a screw head on the left side of the block that locates the 'middle' drive, the bit that runs off of the cam and sends drive down to the pump and up to the distributor. Brain fade, so I can't recall if it is under the tappet chest cover or not. Will be retained so long as screw head is still tight.

Would be keen to see what you do for the new ignition system. I'm at hfh200@hotmail.co.uk I made a similar system up for running a VW engine in an aeroplane.

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Manly West, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Hi Rob and thanks for your help.
yes there is a screw and it is behind the side cover.
That means i can turn up a cover for the distributor without worrying that I'm going to lose oil pressure.

The system I'm using is an electromotive XDi that was given to me by a mate and came out of a sprint car. I have attached an image for you to check out. currently I'm turning up an adaptor so that I can attach a magnetic sensor chopper plate to the crank pulley. Once finished this unit should allow me to set advance according to RPM and manifold vacuum.

Thanks again for the help.
Cheers
Graham

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0105[2119].jpg    28.8 KB
IMG_0105[2119].jpg

Chopper plate.JPG    48.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
The later models of Sidevalve boat engine had the distributor in the accessory drive so the hole in the top was made into an oil filler, IIRC

Attachments:
ved1.jpg    54.6 KB
ved1.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Morris 1100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links