AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Daveyboy1956 Avatar
Daveyboy1956 Dave Larsen
Valencia, Calif, USA   USA
Hi all
I have a 1970 traveller
The right hand door pops open when driving.
How can I fix it??
What parts do I need?
Thank you.
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 08:11 PM by Daveyboy1956.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Dave,

I would start and make sure it latches at all driving or parked. The door strike plate does have an adjustment that keeps the door tight to the weather seal, make sure it is tight. The other is you could have loose hinge bolts or a worn out hinge pin that lets the door sag enough to not close when driving the car it flexes and the door pops open. The other would be something like a twisted door that hits in one place but won't let the the latch work because of the twist in the door. Might check the lever latch to see that it moves freely, this could also keep from engaging with the strike mounted on the "B" pillar as well as alignment issues.

So you have a few things to check out then get back to us either way and we will all learn from your hard work! grinning smiley

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
As noted, check the strike is adjusted correctly. The latch should go behind the big wedge on the striker. The little spring loaded thing on the striker is just a safety catch.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Daveyboy1956 Avatar
Daveyboy1956 Dave Larsen
Valencia, Calif, USA   USA
Here are some pic of the door

Attachments:
2C1931AD-52BB-458E-B8D4-06A3B4958888.jpeg    29.2 KB
2C1931AD-52BB-458E-B8D4-06A3B4958888.jpeg

1E9C665A-7BF7-4CFE-AF23-7F39985F80C6.jpeg    18 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
D827FF07-3E78-4764-A36D-03242642C52B.jpeg    25 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The pin and hole, the lower items should be engaging. The part on the post seems way too far back. Some wear is showing on the the latch bolt which doesn't help. Was there some welding done on the car? The gap looks like the welding shrank the bottom of the side sills causing the car to arch a bit.

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
I would concur with Mr. English. The gap from the door to the B post is uneven and is larger at the top where the latch is, thus making it more likely to pop open.

John F. Quilter
Eugene Oregon USA

Hi Dave,

With those pictures it is obvious that the traveller is bowed in the door area. The real fix at this point is to cut some sheet metal in the size of the strike body and shim it out to keep the door closed. It seems like the traveller body may need to be looked at for solid mounting to the chassis since you say it happens when driving the body could be flexing enough to cause this to open and the mounting of the body to the chassis could be suspect.
Any history of repairs? I would agree that some past repair is also contributing to the door gap.
One more thing to look at is the overall door alignment to see fi the fix could maybe be done at the top hinge with spacers too. In fact as I'm typing this that should be the first fix if possible vs the strike.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Although this is the opposite problem you have, I once saw a Morris magazine article showing how to rectify a condition of body sagging in the middle. The fix was to slice through the sill, jack the car up in the middle thus creating a gap at the cut and welding this gap up and finally finishing with an angled sheet metal overlay piece to the inner sill. Could such a technique work on a car that is bowed up but there might have to be two slices made in a V shape?? This would be a radical fix, I would try less radical solutions first.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 34729 by emjay The pin and hole, the lower items should be engaging. The part on the post seems way too far back. Some wear is showing on the the latch bolt which doesn't help. Was there some welding done on the car? The gap looks like the welding shrank the bottom of the side sills causing the car to arch a bit.

interesting post, my doors have a gap at the top that one can almost put a finger in, just thought that it was how they were made years ago.
Hope my doors dont pop open when the car is finished...drinking smiley
Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links