Rear Hub Oil Leak

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
I've read the oil leak onto my rear brake shoe is a quite common problem but I'm not sure how to proceed in repairing. I realize the paper gasket should be replaced but don't know where the O ring is? Does the hub need to be pulled? Are the nuts handed? I can tear into it but don't want to go any deeper than I have to. I have the half shaft out on drivers side and my brake shoes were covered in oil.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Yes, the large nut is handed. The left one is left hand thread. The O-ring goes in the hub, under the gasket. In most cases you need a wheel puller to pull the hub/bearing off the axle.

pgp001 Phil Procter
Silsden, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
There are a couple of places where oil can escape due to damaged or worn out seals. More detailed information about the items mentioned below is available in the workshop manual.

One potential leak is from the gasket and O-Ring area behind the half shaft flange. You need to make sure the correct thickness gasket is used to ensure the bearing has no end float.
The other is from the back of the hub where a lip seal is fitted, it is important to make sure the lip seal is fitted the correct way round in the hub with its internal spring side facing the wheel bearing.

I did mine a few months ago and bought the complete hub rebuild kit from ESM which includes all seals, wheel bearing & tab washer etc.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear-suspension-axle-propshaft-c87/rear-axle-propshaft-rear-suspension-c88/rear-wheel-bearing-kit-includes-dif148-149-150-102-bearing-p831260

Phil

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
Very clear directions are in section HH of the workshop manual. If you don’t have it, download it free here:

http://www.dolphnproductions.com/morrisminor.pdf

Thanks to all.

Does anyone know the size of the O ring beneath the paper gasket? Thought I might be lucky enough to source one locally.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
It's pretty job specific as it fits in a groove. Can you tell where the oil was coming from? I'm waiting on the same kit because my hub is worn to the point the bearing just falls out of it. One more thing, it is very difficult to get the single screw that holds the shaft from sliding out with wheel removed. They will leak when you just take the wheel off. I fix that problem by putting a couple washers on two studs, run two lug nuts, flat side against the washers and tighten. Now you can tighten that screw and it will hold. Remember that you may need to do the same to loosen the screw without damaging it.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
Should you decide to change the wheel bearing, I would strongly suggest replacing the bearing with a double sealed 207 bearing. A double sealed bearing is available from any well stocked auto or industrial supply as well as the usual on-line sources..

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

Though the task may seem to be too daunting or difficult at first, the result will be worth the effort in the end.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Be careful of new bearings. I received a new FAG bearing for rear hub today from ESM. Not only was it made in Korea instead of Germany but it has noticeable lateral play in it. My old one is in better shape. I do have a NOS RHP Unipart bearing that I will be installing.I might add that I have an older Korea FAG bearing that has no lateral play in it.

pgp001 Phil Procter
Silsden, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
I would be interested to hear if ESM have any comments to make on the poor quality bearing.

I never checked mine before fitting it, I just assumed a new FAG bearing would be of decent quality.

Phil

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
days. Responded this morning. Said "normal to have play is taken up when installed". They refunded my money, including postage. I have three other bearings, including a used FAG Korea that have no detectable play in them. Reason for change is the hub is bad, bearing is loose in it and turns in the hub, all I really needed was the new seal anyway but the whole kit was cheap enough to sa, why not.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Got my "new" hub, bearing and seal installed today, froze the bearing all night and kept the hub warm, made it easier. Heating hub would have been even better but afraid of ruining new seal.

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Regarding your new bearing purchased , check the side of outer ring , if bearing supplied has C3 or C4 stamped on the side you have been supplied the correct bearing as per factory original ( O.E. ) by memory bearing is 6207 or 6307 C3 or C4 tolerance , a standard bearing has a C2 tolerance between balls and inner and outer rings, designing engineers will call for larger tolerance on certain applications , rear axle ( half Shaft ) of Morris Minor is one example, if a standard bearing tolerance is fitted you run the risk of bearing locking up and spinning in hub or housing causing expensive damage even axle breakage due to heat build up.
In simple terms , a new bearing of C3 , C4 and C5 tolerance may feel " loose " and is used in heavy load or heated situations.

I spent many years in the Bearing industry and Sales and Tech. Representative for a leading European Bearing Manufacturer, if not sure when replacing ball and roller bearings I always recommended you check with a Bearing Warehouse with appropriate documentation.

Cheers

Reg

P.S. If you are using SKF, FAG, NSK, Koyo , Timken or any well known brand of bearing , I think you will find quality is the same regardless of country of origin , but I would not recommend unbranded " counterfeit " bearings .

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The new old stock RHP has 7-6207 on the side..Unipart box says "made to original specification" I have two theFAG bearings also and one is looser than the other.I understand exactly what you are saying about seizing with heat as it expands so thank you for that. Makes me think maybe it would have been OK to install.

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
RHP , Ranson Hoffman and Pollard were / are English and would most likely be O.E. cannot remember what their tolerance markings were , maybe the first 7 is tolerance , 62 means medium journal, 07 fits 35 mm shaft , my 77 year old brain been around the block a few times.
Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links