Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nudenut Avatar
nudenut Silver Member Reg K
Perth, Perth Western Australia, Australia   AUS
Hello from The Colonies , 1960 Morris Minor 1000 4 door , Rear Brake Assembly , are the brake shoes fitted with bee hive springs ? or just long and short springs retaining the shoes.

Experiencing a brain drain !! ,cannot see beehive springs in Workshop Manual but are listed in spare parts , maybe for MG , Austin ??

Cheers

Reg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 34265 by nudenut Hello from The Colonies , 1960 Morris Minor 1000 4 door , Rear Brake Assembly , are the brake shoes fitted with bee hive springs Orta be ? or just long and short springs retaining the shoes.

Experiencing a brain drain !! ,cannot see beehive springs in Workshop Manual but are listed in spare parts , maybe for MG , Austin ??

Cheers

Reg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 06:36 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd 3.pdf    93.6 KB

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Supposed to have them, many don't reinstall them, a mater of controversy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Well, they are a bugger to fit
if you haven't got the knack.

Easy peasy if you think it through though thumbs up

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Two bee hive springs are fitted to the rear brakes but none on the front. My WSM shows a photograph of the rear brakes as Fig M.22. on page M.14.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 34265 by nudenut Hello from The Colonies , 1960 Morris Minor 1000 4 door , Rear Brake Assembly , are the brake shoes fitted with bee hive springs ? or just long and short springs retaining the shoes.

Cheers

Reg

nudenut Avatar
Thanks John , I have a Haynes Workshop Manual , this is the first error I have found in Manual , now I have to locate Bee Hive Springs , I am searching UK suppliers at the moment.
Regards
Reg

John in Eugene Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Here is one supplier that shows them. Bull Motif. Probably others such as ESM as well. Good luck.

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=1537

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

nudenut Avatar
Thanks again , I have ordered them from G.S.Jones along with the other 4 springs.
Cheers
Reg

0123 Mike D
Do you know the trick to fitting them Reg yawning smiley)

nudenut Avatar
Cannot remember fitting them before , only the pin type with washer and spring , they were missing when I restored car 7 years ago and I never noticed.
Cheers.

John in Eugene Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
I usually use a very wide bladed screw driver and push in add twist. Still at best it can be tedious.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

In reply to # 34279 by 0123 Do you know the trick to fitting them Reg yawning smiley)

w3526602 John Williams
Burton Latimer, Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi,

What is the purpose of the bee-hive springs?

Once the shoes touch the drum, the drum controls the alignment of the shoes. The pull-off springs should also try to) pull the shoes against the "stops" on the back-plate, and allow the shoes to "sway" (but only inwards) to follow the drum.

If the drum is distorted outwards, it will try to pull the stop pin through the spring retaining washer ... the pin can only move one way (towards the centre of the axle) - unless it stretches or snaps.

Anti-squeal?

PS. The thought crossed my mind that a broken half-shaft will allow the rear wheel to lean (either way). I'm not sure (semi and three-quarter floating axles) if a broken half-shaft will allow the wheel/hub/halfshaft assembly to wander off if the half-shaft snaps. Has anybody been there? If I had to bet, my money (but not a lot) would be on the wheel leaning a bit, but otherwise staying in place. I prefer fully floating hubs ... like on my Land Rover

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 34285 by w3526602 Hi,
Anti-chatter
Even up wear across the lining.

What is the purpose of the bee-hive springs?

Once the shoes touch the drum, the drum controls the alignment of the shoes. The pull-off springs should also try to) pull the shoes against the "stops" on the back-plate, and allow the shoes to "sway" (but only inwards) to follow the drum.

If the drum is distorted outwards, it will try to pull the stop pin through the spring retaining washer ... the pin can only move one way (towards the centre of the axle) - unless it stretches or snaps.

Anti-squeal?

PS. The thought crossed my mind that a broken half-shaft will allow the rear wheel to lean (either way). I'm not sure (semi and three-quarter floating axles) if a broken half-shaft will allow the wheel/hub/halfshaft assembly to wander off if the half-shaft snaps. Has anybody been there? If I had to bet, my money (but not a lot) would be on the wheel leaning a bit, but otherwise staying in place. I prefer fully floating hubs ... like on my Land Rover

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I don't put them back on mine, it's been a point of debate for years so to each his own. Broken half shaft on a moggy isn't going anywhere, including tilt, the bearing holds it in.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Perhaps the springs are there just to aid in drum removal. The other possibility is to help keep the shoes centered since the cylinder slides allowing the bottom shoe to rub.

Axle bearing terms relate to what role the haft shaft plays. Semi floating - the shaft supports the weight, holds the wheel upright, transmit power, the shaft rides in bearings. Three quarter floating - the shaft holds the wheel upright, transmit power, the weight is carried by the hub/bearing. Fully floating - the shaft transmit power only, the hub has inner and outer bearing like a front hub. Typically, semi floating requires that the shaft also holds the wheel in while the others are retained by the hub.

For those who are not familiar with the terms.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links