AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dschwartz1957 David Schwartz
Framingham, MA, USA   USA
1950 Morris Minor "Moyshe"
1968 Morris Mini Traveller "The Tardis"
2000 Mazda MX-5
I hit another snag in the continuing saga of replacing the front brakes on my 1950 Minor with later back plates and wheel cylinders. Today I finished making up and installing new bridge pipes for the front wheel cylinders. The fittings require a 3/16 W spanner and threads are fine (UNF). The final step was to install new bleed screws that came as part of the front brake kit from ESM

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/brakes-c42/front-brakes-c44/front-brake-conversion-kit-mm-series-ii-models-without-brake-back-plates-p829426

I installed the bleed screws and tried to tighten them up the 3/16 W spanner I had just used on the bridge pipes fittings. Oddly it didn't fit, nor did any other Whitworth or SAE spanners. So I try a 10mm metric spanner and it fits perfectly. The bleed screw threads appear to be a close match for the UNF threads on the bridge pipes, but I don't want to risk damaging the threads in the wheel cylinders.

On at least three occasions ESM has shipped replacements for bad or incorrect replacement parts. The front brake conversion kit came with the wrong bridge pipes and wheel cylinder bolts. Also, some bushes with deep cuts in the rubber, and poor quality tie-bars.

Is it just my bad luck, or do others purchase replacement parts that don't fit properly or are poor quality?

David Schwartz

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 33766 by dschwartz1957 I hit another snag in the continuing saga of replacing the front brakes on my 1950 Minor with later back plates and wheel cylinders. Today I finished making up and installing new bridge pipes for the front wheel cylinders. The fittings require a 3/16 W spanner and threads are fine (UNF). The final step was to install new bleed screws that came as part of the front brake kit from ESM

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/brakes-c42/front-brakes-c44/front-brake-conversion-kit-mm-series-ii-models-without-brake-back-plates-p829426

I installed the bleed screws and tried to tighten them up the 3/16 W spanner I had just used on the bridge pipes fittings. Oddly it didn't fit, nor did any other Whitworth or SAE spanners. So I try a 10mm metric spanner and it fits perfectly. The bleed screw threads appear to be a close match for the UNF threads on the bridge pipes, but I don't want to risk damaging the threads in the wheel cylinders. Most flare nut spanners are metric these days David.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=brake+nut+spanners&_sacat=0

On at least three occasions ESM has shipped replacements for bad or incorrect replacement parts. The front brake conversion kit came with the wrong bridge pipes and wheel cylinder bolts. Also, some bushes with deep cuts in the rubber, and poor quality tie-bars.

Is it just my bad luck, or do others purchase replacement parts that don't fit properly or are poor quality? SUs moaned just like that in the 60s smiling smiley

David Schwartz

I buy off eBay.
Suppliers know faulty goods cost them.
I get very few faulty goods.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=brake+nut+spanners&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmorris+minor+brakes.TRS0&_nkw=morris+minor+brakes&_sacat=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-11 12:45 AM by 0123.

2000 Mazda MX-5
ESM is sending out a replacement pair of bleed screws. It will be interesting to see if they are 3/16 W or 10mm nuts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Do you have any thread gauges please David?

Attachments:
ferd 1.JPG    13.5 KB
ferd 1.JPG

2000 Mazda MX-5
That is a really nice set of thread gauges. I have SAE and metric, but not Whitworth.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
David,

I have received bleed screws with the correct threads and a 10mm hex. Chances are the maker takes a blank bleeder and then threads the bleeder for the application. If the bleeder goes in smoothly by hand, I would say it's OK to use.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

Though the task may seem to be too daunting or difficult at first, the result will be worth the effort in the end.

0123 Mike D
Me too Geezer thumbs up

In reply to # 34168 by geezer David,

I have received bleed screws with the correct threads and a 10mm hex. Chances are the maker takes a blank bleeder and then threads the bleeder for the application. If the bleeder goes in smoothly by hand, I would say it's OK to use.

0123 Mike D
I think you need a UNF gauge to check they threads smiling smiley

In reply to # 34162 by dschwartz1957 That is a really nice set of thread gauges. I have SAE and metric, but not Whitworth.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I just received a rear hub bearing kit last week, rally only needed the seal and O ring but it was cheap enough. The new made in Korea FAG bearing had noticeable lateral play in it, Used a NOS original that I had. Reason for even working on it is I finally got a "new" hub that the bearing doesn't just fall out of.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Did that,didn't like it

0123 Mike D
What didn't you like please Phil smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-09 09:52 AM by 0123.

DonnyB Avatar
DonnyB Silver Member Donald Bartley
Valparaiso, IN, USA   USA
I have got some parts from ESM that I thought were sub-par. Rubber plug for trans tunnel that damn near falls through hole. Won't keep water and air out. New gas cap that was supposed to be shiny chrome, but looks more like brushed finish. They did send a new one , and it's just like the first one. Will buff it out, when I get time. Plastic battery tray to go in battery box bottom. Only it's much smaller than the bottom of battery box, which seams silly to me. Even though my battery fits the battery box easily it won't fit in the plastic tray. They told me Original battery's were much smaller. The car didn't come Originally with plastic battery tray??? In there defense other parts have been fine, but as we all know expensive.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links