oil filter body touching bodywork

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

velorider Robert Lowe
Yealmpton, Devon, UK   GBR
Hi, Recently noticed an extra mechanical harshness when driving the car.
I think the base of the old type oil filter is touching the bodywork and transmitting engine/transmission noise.

Have tried putting some washers beneath the engine mounts on the filter side to raise the whole power unit but that doesn't seem to make much difference. There is still not sufficient clearance.

Suppose I could add more washers but this just seems like a bodge. Am wondering whether the rubber front mountings have sagged and allowed everything to drop

The car is a 1957 tourer with a later 1100 cc motor fitted. Any suggestions please? Velorider.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kiwiminor Ray Willis
Prince Albert, SK, Canada   CAN
Robert,
In many cases the owners have bent the edge of the frame-rail down adjacent to the oil-filter.
Your suggestion that mountings might be faulty is also a likely issue, or possible the triangle-pedestal on that side might be bent.
If you could take and forward any photos for the Forum-members to peruse it would help too.
Ray W

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
It the offending bit of chassis
wiv a big knocking stick Matey thumbs up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
velorider Robert Lowe
Thanks Mike and Ray, Big knocking stick probably a good idea but am trying not to bodge things as the car body and paint work are really good and I don't want to spoil the effect.

I have put washers under the pedestals on both sides. a bit fiddly but it does seem to work. There is now a good gap between the filter and the body rail.
Will road test when the weather gets better and let you know results, Best, Bob Lowe.

0123 Mike D
Perfectionist smiling smiley

Try removing the spacers / washers under
the offside engine mounting Ray.

You'll rotate the engine anti-clockwise
moving the filter away from the chassis thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-19 01:54 PM by 0123.

kiwiminor Ray Willis
Robert,
Is the bell-housing closer to the frame on the RH-side than it is to the LH-side?
If you are wanting to maintain the original-look without adding too many washers and spacers etc, would you consider installing a 'spin-on' filter if it might be smaller and less likely to knock on the frame?
The simple remedy of 'bending the frame-edge' is entirely reverseable and barely noticeable. If you required a photo of such, surely there is somebody who can oblige. Unfortunately it isn't an option for me right now as my M/M is buried under 12 inches of snow.
Ray W

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 34296 by kiwiminor Robert,
Is the bell-housing closer to the frame on the RH-side than it is to the LH-side?
If you are wanting to maintain the original-look without adding too many washers and spacers etc, would you consider installing a 'spin-on' filter if it might be smaller and less likely to knock on the frame? Spot on Matey thumbs up
The simple remedy of 'bending the frame-edge' is entirely reverseable and barely noticeable. If you required a photo of such, surely there is somebody who can oblige. Unfortunately it isn't an option for me right now as my M/M is buried under 12 inches of snow.
Ray W

0123 Mike D
Is there any chance someone's changed
the filter side engine mounting but
not the mounting on the other side Ray yawning smiley)

That change would rotate the block
clockwise a little bit, bringing filter
closer to your chassis.

Swapping a new mounting in the near side
for an old mounting would rotate the block
anti-clockwise a little moving the filter
away from the chassis.

kiwiminor Ray Willis
Robert,
The usual M/M clearance next to the oil-filter is barely enough so I am inclined to think that a faulty engine-mount, or the triangular pedestal it is mounted to might be causing the motor to be too close to the frame. If you check the pedestals for exact-comparison, even if you have to support the motor from the bottom and remove the triangular-pedestals together with the engine-mounts and check them to ensure they are identical. If a previous owner had used parts from a side-vale M/M it might be a problem.
The other possibility is that it might be the exhaust-pipe making contact with the oval outlet it goes through from the engine-bay to under the car. That can be identified if some tape is applied to the frame close to where the filter and the exhaust-pipe are, and then run the car until the noise occurs and check to see if one of the tapes has been marked.
It is scenarios like this when it is hugely advantageous to have the rad-support and grille removed to make access easier, and it would also allow use of your 'eyecrometer' for a visual comparison.
Ray W

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 34299 by kiwiminor Robert,
The usual M/M clearance next to the oil-filter is barely enough so I am inclined to think that a faulty engine-mount, or the triangular pedestal it is mounted to might be causing the motor to be too close to the frame. If you check the pedestals for exact-comparison, even if you have to support the motor from the bottom Err Ray, it's much safer to lit the engine from the top and remove the triangular-pedestals together with the engine-mounts and check them to ensure they are identical. If a previous owner had used parts from a side-vale M/M it might be a problem.
The other possibility is that it might be the exhaust-pipe making contact with the oval outlet it goes through from the engine-bay to under the car. That can be identified if some tape is applied to the frame close to where the filter and the exhaust-pipe are, and then run the car until the noise occurs and check to see if one of the tapes has been marked.
It is scenarios like this when it is hugely advantageous to have the rad-support and grille removed to make access easier, and it would also allow use of your 'eyecrometer' for a visual comparison.
Ray W

velorider Robert Lowe
Dear All, Many thanks for your thoughtful contributions. Washers under the pedestals worked a treat. There still isn't that much clearance but the car is absolutely transformed.

I specially liked Mike's idea of putting washers under the offside only, thus rotating the engine/oil filter away from the frame. Why didn't I think of that?!

Now just the decision whether to exchange the noisy stainless exhaust for a mild steel one. Any views? What a great forum. So much easier to think straight when you have a team to help, Very best, Bob.

Attachments:
DSC_7000.JPG    54.9 KB
DSC_7000.JPG

0123 Mike D
Smashing picture Bob, thanks yawning smiley)

They works pipes plays a loverly tune.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000 Van

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links