Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
You can often find 1275s & transmissions on Craigs list in VA and the Carolinas.

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
The 1275 is a direct fit without any modifications to the car. My 5 speed conversion kit is turnkey and also does not require modifications to the car itself. The 5 speed gearboxes are out there. I have located near a dozen in recent months and I just had a guy in Myrtle Beach tell me he found one in Virginia just yesterday, and quite reasonably priced too. If you want a good durable 5 speed that fits w/o major modifications, the Datsun conversion I offer is the only solution.

In reply to # 24833 by rusty bucket I'm have a tired 948 and was thinking of doing the swap to a 1275 and 5 speed. The questions for me is if I can find the motor and trans that fit w/o having to butcher the car.

Seems that 1275 are difficult to find around here for some reason. MGS and sprints used to tooling about the area back in the'70 s have been snapped up or crushed , therefore locating the drivetrain has been an exercise use in web searching.

Wish you luck with the completion of your swap and looking forward to your photos and post on the swap.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

drooartz Avatar
drooartz Drew Frink
Mountains, UT, USA   USA
The 1275 and 5-speed (Datsun 5-speed in my case, with Gerard's kit) is a great addition to the car. The gearing with the original 4.22(?) rear end is spot on. Up here in the mountains where I live (6500') I can still pull most grades in 4th (sometimes 3rd) and cruise all day at 70mph at 3500 rpm where the engine is nice and smooth. Well worth doing if you want to make the change. A taller rear end would be an issue up here, but the Datsun box seems to be just right.

It is nice that it just drops in.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Hi all,
This is all good news. Earlier today I did some CRaiglist trolling for a parts of the drivetrain. There might be a 1275 in the area which is said to "needs to gone through" available.
That's about all I was able to located So far...

As for the rear gear ratio, I m think its stock..

rotomike Gold Member Michael Kurtzweil
Installation is completed. As you can see from the photo's that with the "long" remote the shifter is back quite a bit. The parking brake handle has been shortened, the handle is up in the images but when it is down it drops to the lowest part of the boot and does not interfere with the shift.
I moved the seats as far out to the doors as possible to give the shift room, it does not interfere with the seats.
With that said it is a bit awkward shifting down next to your leg, that will take some getting used to. The more vexing issue is the gas pedal. The wider and taller tunnel supplied puts a hell of a squeeze on this area. I suppose the brits don't have this problem because of right hand drive.
I don't have big feet but wedging the foot between the brake pedal and the tunnel is a conundrum. I have to work the pedal with the arch of my foot.
Oh the humanity.

Attachments:
IMG_1526.jpg    41.6 KB
IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg    32.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1529.jpg    39.5 KB
IMG_1530.jpg    44 KB
pixelsmithusa Avatar
You did a very nice job with the installation, but what a bother to make all those mods.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
For RHD the clutch will be cramped and perhaps worse. Does the gear box cover have a bias to the right side like the original?

The cover attaches in the same holes as original, but the shaping is wider and longer matched to the transmission.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
I'm referring to the hump itself. The remote shifter on a stock gear box is on the right side of the box and they made the floor with the hump off center to the right. The RHD drivers have a smaller foot well and in a couple of years they modified the gear box floor by adding a chamfer in the front to give the left foot a bit more room. I was wondering if the fiberglass one for the Ford is also offset or centered.

It appears to be centered, and wider than original.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Thank you. The car looks great.

It appears that the driver's see folds. Does it have a seat adjustment? The driver's seat should have a fixed back with a seat adjustment. It appears that you have two passenger seats. No big deal if you don't have drivers with different leg lengths.

Curious of you steering wheel orientation. 57 and 58 you can clock the wheel anywhere you want. Originally had the spokes at 12, 4, and 8, but you can also put them at 2, 6, and 10, or even something else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 10:35 AM by emjay.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I don't know when they started putting driver seat adjusters in. My 56 came with fixed backrest and no adjuster. Since remedied with a newer seat.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
All driver's seat should have adjustment. The earlier ones had the handle in the center and the later ones have it on the left side. The here and gone status of a folding passenger seat is a different story.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Only adjustment mine had was 4 different positions to bolt the seat in. I don't remember my dad's 55 having an adjuster either, I learned to drive in that car.

I am going to see if any relief can be taken from the tunnel in that area, seems like my only recourse, other than going back to original tunnel/transmission.
As for the seats, the ones that came with the car were a Frankenstein set from I don't know where. These are the only two I could find. I would love an adjustable drivers seat.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links