Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gucurich Richard Brown
Lostwithiel, Cornwall, UK   GBR
Hi

I have a Morris Minor Traveller which had severe damage when the previous owner parked in a garage which flooded regularly with sea water! I am about to start rebuilding the vehicle but the damage is extensive and I am wondering about whether to go a slightly different route and I would love some advice.

If I bought a van chassis and then moved running gear etc to the chassis and then bought the panels to remake the front end, would the rear end attach fine please? Or am I barking mad and should just rebuild the Traveller as is?

I am wondering about buying an electric engine for the car. Battery technology gets better and better and we generally only make shorter journeys. What do folks think about this please?

Thanks

Rich
http://gucu.org.uk/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The van frame and the passenger car structure will try to occupy the same space. Extensive modifications would be needed to do it assuming you want a floor in the rear of the car.

Dogdog Avatar
Dogdog W. Dain Flemming
Mountrath,, Co. Laois, Ireland   IRL
It really depends on whether you want a Morris Minor or a car that looks like a Morris Minor..one is a restoration and the other is a type of rebuild. Both are going to be costly so you really need a clear picture of what you want to end up with and which will be the most fun to do other wise you will be at nothing...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gucurich Richard Brown
Good answer. Thanks so much for the help.

Rich

gucurich Richard Brown
Thanks for the answer. I don't know how to answer either questions which is good that you have posed them. I need to go and think things through a bit more.

My reasoning on the van chassis was strength and I am debating about creating a saloon/pick-up type build. But then why do I have a Traveller? Thinking this through slightly more, the Traveller is the car my wife wanted and maybe that needs to be a Traveller. I want to have something slightly different!

I will go away and think.

Thanks

Rich

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Happy Wife
Happy Life
Richard.

In terms of what you've started,
look forward to
100s and 100s of hours work;
100s and 100s of pounds Sterling.

I doubt very much if DIY electric cars are viable..
Certainly never worth the investment
to drive say 1000 miles per year,
which would cost you
say £150 for petrol.

If you are still undecided,
check with your insurance company
ro find out how much they will want
to cover the Minor you plan to rebuild.

In reply to # 19682 by gucurich Thanks for the answer. I don't know how to answer either questions which is good that you have posed them. I need to go and think things through a bit more.

My reasoning on the van chassis was strength and I am debating about creating a saloon/pick-up type build. But then why do I have a Traveller? Thinking this through slightly more, the Traveller is the car my wife wanted and maybe that needs to be a Traveller. I want to have something slightly different!

I will go away and think.

Thanks

Rich

dodyudynosur1213 Avatar
dodyudynosur1213 Abbas Abboobaker
Durban, kwazulu natal, South Africa   ZAF
1957 Morris 1100 "Miracle"
Hi sir love the idea about the electric motor I think the body is fairly heavy thought about the same thing when I purchased my Morris you have the the facility abroad maybe give it a thought it will be the first

0123 Mike D
Here y'am Dody smiling smiley

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b&q=%22Morris+Minor+electric%22&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTpdu30ZPPAhXKL8AKHR51CccQvwUIGygA#q=%22Morris+Minor+electric+powered%22

In reply to # 19824 by dodyudynosur1213 Hi sir love the idea about the electric motor I think the body is fairly heavy thought about the same thing when I purchased my Morris you have the the facility abroad maybe give it a thought it will be the first

RuffRoy Avatar
RuffRoy Roy NEWPORT
Fowey, Cornwall, UK   GBR
Do you still have the morris .. I am in fowey and would like a local contact.. new to morris ownership! And could do with some tips

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
When I read sea water my first thought was RUST!! Rust can be a deal breaker when rebuilding a car. Before spending any money on that car I would evaluate the rust.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

Though the task may seem to be too daunting or difficult at first, the result will be worth the effort in the end.

gucurich Richard Brown
Hi

I'm in Lostwithiel and would be happy to meet up. We no longer have the car, there was extension rust issues but I am ever hopeful on buying a running Morris. Give me a ring after 12 today on 07747 343637. I am off until 2nd January.

Rich

gucurich Richard Brown
And you would be correct. Sold it to a local garage who will restore over time. I didn't have the skills to do it.

Rich

0123 Mike D
The equipment to deal with rust is expensive.
You need a 12ft by 24ft workshop too.

Unless you like doing things the very hard way Richard sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 02:25 AM by 0123.

gucurich Richard Brown
Hi

Currently I am trying to buy some land and then erect a barn and do exactly that! Potter at my leisure! I don't weld but my wife wants to learn... even better, I just need to know how to change a lightbulb!

0123 Mike D
Good on yer both thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 02:59 AM by 0123.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1951 Morris Minor MM Tourer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links