Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
MinorForum

Morris Minor Chat

Location of TIMING MARKS on a 948 Block ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Finally a "warm" day and I can not find the Timing Mark Indicator on the engine block of my 948 engine.

Does anyone have a photo of the front of their engine showing the location ??

Is the Dwell 58 degrees at 600 RPM ? Spark plug gap of 22 thousands ?

Thanks
Cam

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Underside of the timing cover - can only be seen from under the front of the car.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Gerard,, THANKS !!! HEADING OUT the DOOR .. floor jack in tow to get at it...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Yep, Your correct ....covered in gunk...
who ever thought that was a great idea to put the mark on the underside should have had their head examined...

So the timing should be 4 BTDC ? correct ?

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
You have my full permission
to paint another where it suits

winking smiley

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
"Is the Dwell 58 degrees at 600 RPM ? Spark plug gap of 22 thousands ?"

So high tech. You must have one of those fancy shamncy testers. (that are no longer used much) Static timing is fine and then reach down there and feel the timing groove on the pulley after the point gap is set at 0.015. Either watch the points open and stop turning the engine or use a test light either parallel to the points or in series. (opposite observations for the light) Then do some slight adjustment after driving. Plugs should be 0.025.

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Which one of this Rat Chewed tooth fanged markers on the underside is the correct alignment ?

I've not found a drawing in the Morris Manual PDF file for the 948 ..

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Finally found a image of the setting... "Fig AA.30" of the Morris Minor manual PDF file... In the "Oil Consumption" section - GO FIGURE !!

pixelsmithusa Avatar
It's easy to add a pointer and new marks on the pulley to be seen from above. There are even kits you can buy. Look closely at the attached pic.

In reply to # 29016 by rusty bucket Which one of this Rat Chewed tooth fanged markers on the underside is the correct alignment ?

I've not found a drawing in the Morris Manual PDF file for the 948 ..

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-16 03:43 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
completez1.jpg    42.7 KB
completez1.jpg

0123 Mike D
Better still,
stick summat down the plug'ole

From memory,
set the points to open
1/10" before TDC

Best setting varies from engine to engine.
It ain't an exact science

Relevant pages from
the Manual herewith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-17 03:28 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd.pdf    178.2 KB

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Gerard,

Who would sell the kit that you mentioned. It appears to be nothing more that spike/pointer made of harden steel. When bolted down on the timing chain cover is it accurate ?

I was able to fumble under the car and fiddle with the distributor to get thing run better. Accuracy might be dicey, it runs better.

My Tach / Dwell is a $10 "special" from Montgomery Wars department store of the '60's that my brothers and I used on a number of old cars , in the day .. (I didn't think it ever worked - SURPRISE !!)

Cam

Wee MG 1963 Avatar
Wee MG 1963 Gold Member Thomas W
Crystal Lake, Flat, boring Midwest, USA   USA
1957 Morris Minor 1000 "Sadie"
1966 MG 1100
1973 MG Midget MkIII "Sunflower"
If it's from Montgomery Wards in the 1960s it's probably a better tool that anything you will find now.

Why anyone would knowingly design an engine where you have to be lying flat on your back to check the timing that you will have to adjust by getting back up and leaning over the wing is beyond me, but I don't have an engineering degree!

Tom

0123 Mike D
They wuz bored

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
A dated reply, but I found this video on youtube of a Gent setting is timing on a 948 with a mirror. Interesting way of doing it.

Gerard,

What do you set the distributor to when you mount this timing mark on top. Is the distributor set to a specific gap when the timing mark is at TDC of the new pointer? I'm not a engine guy so my question is coming out of ignorance, so please go lightly guys.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Morris Minor Series II Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links