Leaking after rain

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, NY, USA   USA
I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem? I have a 1959 Minor 1000 2 door Saloon. Whenever it rains, have water on the floor directly beneath the windscreen. Any ideas as where to look would be appreciated. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Philip,

Some more information on the condition of the car and specifically the window screen rubber seal could be helpful to answer your question.. Some things to look at are the hinge seals for the bonnet, the wiper arm gaskets, the fire wall area for a track of water. Are you able to use a water hose on the front in a mist and look for the path with a light to see if the path is seen?
There are many places that the water can get in like the door seals, the floor, the tranny cover plate bolted to the floor.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, NY, USA   USA
The car was newly painted with new bonnet hinges & gaskets installed. The windscreen was reinstalled and the rubber appears to be in good shape. I don’t know about the condition of the wiper arm gasket. I will check as soon as I get a chance. However I had this problem before the car was painted. Thanks for the advice.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kithmo Keith Moat
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Has the screen rubber got the chrome (or plastic chrome) strip inserted ?
This puts more pressure on the rubber on to the outside of the window frame. I had the same problem before I refitted the strip.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
when my window seal was leaking I could see water o. top of dash. Likely the wiper arm seal or the back part of hinge seal.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Where about is the leak in terms
of left to right please Philip smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-08 02:17 AM by 0123.

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, NY, USA   USA
I looked and I don’t have any gaskets on the wiper arms. I ordered some and hopefully I’ll have a definitive answer soon. I’ll keep you posted.

0123 Mike D
Nice one Chris thumbs up

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I just made some for mine out of an old bicycle tube a couple weeks ago. Seems to be working great.

0123 Mike D
Nice one Phill thumbs up

You can't beat the satisfaction you get
from from doing what you can,
with what you've got,
where you are,
can you smiling smiley

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, NY, USA   USA
I have more leaking on the left than the right. This corresponds to the space of the wiper arm finisher. I will keep everyone informed. Thanks for the suggestions.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Some guys spread baby powder in a bare interior to leave evidence of the the flow to help pin point the source. A windscreen leak is readily apparent when raining because you can see it run down the dash board.

Pkagto Philip A
Riverhead, NY, USA   USA
Hi Everybody,
I’m sorry I took so long to respond but “Emma” was in the shop. I did install the wiper gaskets as was suggested. It did help a lot but because of where I park, on an incline in my driveway, I’m getting water puddling in the two lower corners of the windshield, which then leaks under the rubber around the windshield. Like I said before the gasket appears new so I guess I’ll have to have the windshield reinstalled. Thanks for all the help.

Hi Philip,

You might get a tube of auto window mastic, not silicone but the black stuff and lift the edges dry it out and install some of the glass mastic. This is the stuff that is used when you install the modern windshields that have no gasket and are basically glued in place with the stuff. Pulling the windshield could be a problem of breakage they don't like being in an out, and gaskets tear so be careful. I speak from experience confused smiley just a FYI

Let us know how the final fix comes out.

TX

Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

pgp001 Phil Procter
Silsden, West Yorkshire, UK   GBR
"Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure"

Yes I know that sounds really weird, but it works as it says in the adverts. You need to use a hypodermic syringe and needle to aim it precisely where you want it to go and it will wick its way into any gaps and seal them up.
I sealed my leaking windscreen rubber with it, and also injected it into all the tiny cracks where the wood joints are on my Traveller frame, this stops water seeping into the end grain of the wood very well.

http://www.captaintolley.com/

Phil

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Morris Mini 850

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links