AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TANSTAAFL Avatar
TANSTAAFL Pat Atkinson
Feilding, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Hi All

Does anyone know of a drop in replacement for the standard Minor ignition switch that has an accessory position. I've added a radio to my Morrie and want to be able to swtich it on without having to have the ignition on and without adding ang extra switches to the dash. I also would like to be able to just swap the lock barrel into the new ignition so as to keep the original key. I'm hoping someone knows the (Lucas?) part number, or supplier, for a physically compatible switch. I realise I'll have to run a new circuit and fuse for the accessories but that's pretty simple as such things go.

Thanks in advance
Patrick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-26 11:49 PM by TANSTAAFL.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
why not just give the radio constant power and turn it on and off by its own on off switch?

TANSTAAFL Avatar
TANSTAAFL Pat Atkinson
Hi Gord

Yes I could do that but then I'd have to remember to switch it off when I get out of the car. I'm also planning on a couple of other accessories that would drain power if left in standby mode all the time.

Cheers
Patrick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ahaugland Avatar
ahaugland Silver Member Alex Haugland
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
How about something like this? Europa Spares is a big UK supplier to the kit car industry .

http://www.europaspares.com/auto-electrical/ignition-parts/ignition-switch.html

The 4 position version appears to be a Lucas style switch and would likely take your lock cylinder out of your original switch (there should be a hole through which you can push the spring pin retaining the cylinder and pop the old cylinder out and likewise with yours to put it in this one. Wiring, of course would have to be changed, depending on what you wanted to power and may or may not be pretty straightforward. If the switch powers the auxilliary terminal while in the ignition position, you could just run a line to your radio ignition switched terminal from the auxilliary terminal, or alternately, if you wanted to power all the gauges and auxiliaries in the car other than the ignition circuit, you could run a wire from the auxiliary lead to the fuse box and connect it instead of the white wires (ignition switched/unfused), opposite the green ones (ignition switched/fused) in order to power all the ignition switched auxiliaries. The coil and fuel pump are powered directly off the white wire connection that is fed from the ignition switch, so you'd need to make sure any white wires at the fuse box are still connected to each other. The elegant solution would ideally be to do this and then run a wire from the green side of the fuse to your radio to wire it as the factory would have, if they did such things.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

andertonm Avatar
andertonm Mark Anderton
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
1969 Morris Minor Van "FLAC Wagon"
This is one that has been nagging at me, too. West Marine carries some nice generic key switches for boats that have accessory position and look like they would fit. I think I'm going to tackle this problem.

Mark Anderton
69 MM utility van

carcrazie51 Avatar
carcrazie51 Gold AdvertiserAdvertiser Steve Christiansen
Glendora, CA, USA   USA
I have 4 position switches on the shelf. These plug right in and you can use the original key if you want. Wiring is simple and even simplar if you prefer to use the pull start instead of having a key start. OFF - ACCESS - RUN -START These switches are a direct Lucas replacement switch but not a Lucas part. I sell them for $18.00 US Shipping to Virginia Beach would be $6.00 Us via USPS Priority Mail New Zealand shipping is $23.50 for USPS Priority Mail which takes about 4-6 days

Member Services:
We are car crazy people who enjoy preserving the automobiles of the past. We carry a hugh inventory of quality parts for British Automobiles. We produce uprated/modern parts for these vehicles to allow them to be more roadworthy.
carcrazie51 Avatar
Glendora, CA, USA   USA
For all of you Morris guys that are looking for the switch that has an accessory position, we have these in stock. However that said the switch also includes a start position. You can bypass this position if you prefer to use the pull start or use the spring loaded position for something esle. Switch includes 2 keys. It is easy to pop the key tumblers out and your original will fit. $18.00 + Tax & Shipping

Member Services:
We are car crazy people who enjoy preserving the automobiles of the past. We carry a hugh inventory of quality parts for British Automobiles. We produce uprated/modern parts for these vehicles to allow them to be more roadworthy.

Attachments:
31973 34680 Switch.jpg    15.7 KB
31973 34680 Switch.jpg

TANSTAAFL Avatar
TANSTAAFL Pat Atkinson
Hi Steve. Thanks for the offer, I'm considering it but my big problem is that all the switches I've seen on the market have a threaded outer to the barrel, whereas the Minor has a plain chrome cover that protrudes out of the dash. I don't really want to have a nut on the surface of the dash unless I have too.

If I drill out the rivets holding my switch together, what sort of coupling do you think there is between the barrel and the actual switch.

Cheers
Patrick

Attachments:
IMG_1293.JPG    36.4 KB
IMG_1293.JPG

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
"You can bypass this position if you prefer to use the pull start or use the spring loaded position for something esle."

You could connect that to ejection seats. Driver's side when not running and passenger when it is. A anti-theft device or a way to get rid of annoying passengers.

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Oh yes, the question at hand. The ignition switch may be one of the few items that I haven't taken apart, or I just forgot. I would suspect it would be a simple drive such as a square pin that rotates a contact bar and probably some spring to provide some force. What is your thought, to add another contact point? A simpler approach is to use Steve's switch and make a new mounting bracket that holds the switch with the front mounting nut and holds the switch up to the original hole.

ahaugland Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
The barrel on the switch is pretty easy to remove without significant disassembly and certainly no drilling . You insert the key and turn the switch to the "on" position and there is a hole in the body of the switch. Insert a small punch in the hole and push in on the spring loaded retaining pin retaining the barrel and pull on the key. At that point the barrel pops free. The new barrel then simply slides in and clicks into place. The same works on pretty much all the early Lucas ignition switches I've played with from my 1948 MG TC to my 1967 Mini. They also all use the same style of key barrel. It may get trickier when the ignition switch moves to the column on later British cars, but that's outside of the Morris Minor's era.

Adding a third position to the stock ignition switch certainly wouldn't be easy, if possible at all, as it would require significant modification of the internals and a degree of machine work to redesign it. Easier by far would be to make a mounting bracket for the threaded style of ignition switch with the accessory position and mount it such that the threads don't protrude from the dash once its in place. There would not be the pretty chrome ring around the switch but otherwise you'd gain the accessory position you're looking for.

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

carcrazie51 Avatar
Glendora, CA, USA   USA
The chrome ring on the switch I posted covers the thread. Adjust the brass locking nut on the switch so the just enough threads come through the dash to catch the chrome cover nut and tighten the cover nut to tighten the switch. All you will see if done correctly is the key barrel and the cover nut. The cover is rounded ans tightens with two slots 180 apart. Does not look non factory at all.

Member Services:
andertonm Avatar
andertonm Mark Anderton
Virginia Beach, VA, USA   USA
1969 Morris Minor Van "FLAC Wagon"
I missed the info about where we go to order this switch. Can you re-post?

ahaugland Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
The two sources posted were for Europa Spares in the UK (www.europaspares.com), with a link to the switch itself, or alternately here in the USA from Steve Christiansen at www.oldphartz.com. They both appear to be the same switch and should take the original key cylinder from your existing ignition switch (if original to the car).

--Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
USA

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT "Foghorn Leghorn"
One option for using an ign switch with an acc position is to connect the fuel pump to the acc terminal. That way you can prime the fuel system without running power to the ign system. I find this to be handy on my Magnette since one carb likes to prime faster than the other. It avoids those embarrassing 2 cylinder starts.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

Though the task may seem to be too daunting or difficult at first, the result will be worth the effort in the end.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links