AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1951 Morris Minor MM Tourer "Millie"
1965 Lambretta Li 150 Series 3 "Lucy"
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Just finishing up a re wire on the MM 51 with a new harness from Auto sparks in the UK, there is a the two position pull switch on the headlight, I cannot find any info
which has its own fuse, any body have an idea on what the fuse size should be , THX

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Kevin,

You mentioned a that there is a the two position pull switch on the headlight ??

My 1960 MM has but one position and a hi/low beam "DIPPER SWITCH" aka -> foot stomper switch.

Maybe this will help you .. Unless someone else chimes in ...
Good Luck

Attachments:
IMG_8291(1).JPG    51.1 KB
IMG_8291(1).JPG

IMG_8292.JPG    77.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Sorry that was vague, I have the foot dipper switch in circuit ,my question is on the lights on switch
first pull side lights, second position headlights .... the switch itself has fuse protection , that is what I was wondering

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
It has an "in-line" fuse ?? Like a cocoon pod on the wire?? How strange is that ?

Well - maybe one of the forum experts is following this thread and might have a suggestion.
I wish you the best with the repair as I'm sure you're not interested in smelling a FRIED wire!! hot smiley
I'm sure the new wiring harness is $$$ from the U.K..

Please post your solution.

Later,
Cam

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
From what I see on my workshop manual wiring diagram the head lamp switch is fed directly from the A1 terminal on the control box (also known as a voltage regulator) this feed is not fused but adding an inline fuse might be a good idea but it would have to carry the load of the ignition system as well as the terminal on the headlamp switch has a branch feeding the ignition switch.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
Enough to run the headlights and sidelights.

Small enough to protect the wiring.

Headlights will vary ith the bulbs you use.
Say 10 amps if you use modern bulbs

Sidelights, say 2 amps.

A 15 amp fuse will coved that load,
and protect you new loom.
Check with your supplier.

When you have the 15amp fuse in place,
switch your main beam headlights on,
and check the voltage drop across the fuse.

The drop should be insignificant.

Also check the drop between
bulb and earth,
it should be insignificant too.

In reply to # 34218 by crewless Just finishing up a re wire on the MM 51 with a new harness from Auto sparks in the UK, there is a the two position pull switch on the headlight, I cannot find any info
which has its own fuse, any body have an idea on what the fuse size should be , THX

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The fuse is to protect the wire. Each wire gauge is good for a certain amount of current. That's the value you want. Mike, supply the chart, please.

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
In reply to # 34232 by emjay The fuse is to protect the wire. Yes and no Jim thumbs up
More importantly it's there to protect the switch.
I don't know the switch rating.

Hence, I suggest a fuse that just covers the consumption.
Then checking voltage drop.

There's a chart here.
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

The very best way is to use relays to switch power,
then one can protect the switch with a small fuse.
And get better headlights into the bargain.

The fuse can then be related to cable size
and / or relay rating, whichever is the lower.

Each wire gauge is good for a certain amount of current. That's the value you want. Mike, supply the chart, please.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
They deemed the time that the only fuse necessary was the the one in the two fuse box. About the only thing on that circuit are the lights, horn is not even fused. The other fuse is for everything that works with ignition on. I changed to a four fuse box and just jumped the feed terminals.

Rusty Bucket, your switch should have two positions, you pull out to first position that turns on parking lights, then twist knob to pull out to second position, same to turn off, push one click, twist push. On mine someone obviously did not know this and at some point banged the switch in hard enough to bend the stop tab. I was able to take it apart and fix it. Any cars with extra fuses is because they have been added, wise move.

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Decent deal I thought $265 dollar plus shipping ... some good deals in the motherland with the quid being a third world currency
at the moment

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Thanks to everyone on the post , I spoke to the maker of the loom the wire is rated at 17 amp so I will go with a 15 amp Lucas fuse
For Info I have posted a picture of the switch in question

Attachments:
switch.jpg    44.3 KB
switch.jpg

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
Phil,
Thank you for the information !! As it is, the light switch on my MM is soooo junked up / or corroded that is tough to pull. I have been reluctant to yank it hard enough to break it.

For the most part, I only drive the car during daylight hours since we have soo many Kamikaze mule deer in the area. The massive flock of buzzards are find it difficult to keep up with the Supply ! ( counted 23 Buzzards on just one of the road kills - today)

Thanks again for the information. !!
Cam

rusty bucket Avatar
rusty bucket Cam H
Baltimore, MD, USA   USA
The end of March ( I think) is when the BRXIT is going in to effect... Do you think the cost of True Brit parts will rise ??

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
I think that once it is clear what is going on the pound will get stronger so yes on that basis
Tomorrow is a big day and it may weaken further

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Not original switch

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor 1000 Tourer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links