AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1951 Morris Minor MM Tourer "Millie"
1965 Lambretta Li 150 Series 3 "Lucy"
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Folks, I was wondering if anyone could send me a few pictures of the how the convertible top if fitted at the back
of the car. I think I have all the pieces but have no reference to how it should look - would be a great help
Also any tips and tricks for fitting the new top on a 1951 split screen whould be much appreciated
TX
KD

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Kevin,

Try good old Google for a search, maybe even a look at YouTube. Here is a link http://www.morrisminorworkshop.com/Convertibles.aspx I found with just a quick search, ( installation Morris Minor convertible top).

The internet is helpful with our cars vs medical or other subjective topics. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Thanks , I did have a look around on the inter web, you tube, but could not find anything, the link you have had is an ad for the work they do
My challenge is I am restoring a fairly rare vehicle that I have not seen before in person so I have no standard,
anyone in NC,VA got one I could come and take a look at ?
Regards
Kevin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Silverghost Peter Hays
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Hi Kevin,

I have a 59 convertible. I'd be glad to take pictures or do a Zoom / Skype call if that would help.

Feel free to message me if you'd like.

Peter

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Here are some pics of the top on a 1960 version probably similar to your Series II car. This top is original, now 58 years old and still in good shape!

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Attachments:
Top LH corner.JPG    32.9 KB
Top  LH corner.JPG

Top RH front corner.JPG    41.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
LH top bows.JPG    42 KB
plumby Avatar
plumby Phil P
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Kevin Duffy, there is a quite active collection of "restoring" Series MM owners in a Fb Group of that name.

There is strong interest in the early cars back in UK, where very few of the SV cars got sold at the time of manufacture. Several contributors in that Fb Group could show you in photos how the Series MM hood/top fits.(NB: Technically, if your car is early enough to have the removeable sidescreens rather than fitted glass (behind the driver and passenger) then the Factory described and marketed it as a Tourer).

It certainly seems as though thousands of the earliest cars were exported to Australia and NZ (and Sth Africa), and hence a fair number of survivor cars are still has to be found in these parts, SE Australia, around Melbourne. I came-by several sheds of MM parts some years ago (another Club member lost his storage), and so have been able to send smaller MM parts back to restorers in UK, and to Malta, USA and Canada. It is proving to be good fun!

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
A 1949 car but still quite similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-05 08:39 AM by usmh3.

Attachments:
ho3.jpg    45 KB
ho3.jpg

finisher.jpg    32.8 KB
ho5.jpg    43.6 KB
ho4.jpg    36 KB
crewless Avatar
crewless Kevin Duffy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Tina"
Really helpful
Thx

John in Eugene Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
I've never seen the front of the top treated like shown in Mr. Thomas' second picture above. Perhaps that was something that was only done on the Series II cars? It seems that the flap shown would get trapped by the door window frame when the door is opened and closed? Most of what I have observed is more like what is shown in my second picture above but that is from a Minor 1000 in 1960. The short coming here is that when the door is opened in a rain storm some water will drip off the front of the top onto the floor carpet, perhaps the flap shown solves that issue.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA.

Willbuild Avatar
Willbuild Charles Williamson
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand   NZL
This is my 1954 car here in New Zealand. This car had the roof fitted in UK before being imported to NZ in 2000. It has small tags on the sides . Also this only has 3 bars across the roof so will be an early roof. I do not think you can get a 3 bar roof now only the 4 bar as shown above. The roof is not fixed to the steel bars, only at the back and front, not with the pockets shown above. When the roof is down I pull the canvas out the back and can roll it up over the roof frame. Never lets any water in.

Attachments:
7E34FE51-27A2-411E-97A2-C9A56A2BE482.jpeg    37.3 KB
7E34FE51-27A2-411E-97A2-C9A56A2BE482.jpeg

D09F439A-5AA0-4B57-8844-411B34E84F2F.jpeg    34.7 KB
6A3BC1E3-A9FD-4E92-992A-B8FD061FF9B6.jpeg    45.2 KB
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The photos are not showing you the full answer to your original question. The back edge of the top is a flap hiding the fasteners. Only the Lift the Dot fastener stud for the boot are exposed. Between those are flat head screws with finishing washers located in each recess of the wood tack strip. Around the curves are three conventional snaps. (they must have thought the side may need to be released to lower the top) Then the leading corner is a Lift the Dot fastener because this corner does need to be loose to fold the top. I know that is the method for the later. The earlier ones may be different but not likely based on the brief photo in Ray Newell's book. There seems to be a lot of minor variations is the way the front is done and is very dependent on the approach of the installer and the top supplied. I don't think the flap should extend so far and maybe the split windshield is shorter than taking a curved route around the front.

Jbr Jack Ripsteen
Oakland, CA, USA   USA
Thanks
Peter
Interior and exterior of convertible top would be great
Thanks
Jackripsteen@gmail.com

John in Eugene Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
These are from a newer 1960 convertible but the top is original from June 1960 when the car was made.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

Attachments:
RH top bows.JPG    49.5 KB
RH top bows.JPG

Top bows LH side.JPG    49.6 KB
Hi Kevin,

I just got a 1952 tourer this weekend that seems all original. Let me see what pictures I can post for you. Even through this is a rotted top it shows the wood piece in the back that is screwed down that the top was stapled to with wood trim inside the black fabric with a rain flap over the wood and back of the car. The side terminated with the screw and a flap of the top to cover. The wood on this car is rotten but shows that it was covered with the same material as the cover top. I also show the top attachment pivot connection should you need that. The front has been well shown in the earlier post with the green car. The wood on mine and the cover are not present enough to share a picture that would be of any help. It is a 3 bow top also just as a FYI.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out !

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_20190113_181249299.jpg    38.4 KB
IMG_20190113_181249299.jpg

IMG_20190113_175114258.jpg    33.1 KB
IMG_20190113_175034378.jpg    26.1 KB
IMG_20190113_175029409.jpg    55.3 KB
John in Eugene Avatar
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Chris,

Going my my 1960 convertible I believe the Phillips trim screw shown in your photos should be a Lift the Dot stud so that the top can be unsnapped here, folded into the car and the stud then serves to be one of the four studs that hold the top boot in place. On my car the fabric covering for the wood at the rear is covered in the same Ambla material that is used on the door panels and rear inner side trim panels.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Morris Minor 1000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links