AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Manly West, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Hi all
Can anyone tell me when and where my Morri was made and if they can extract any other information from the attached photos.
Cheers
Graham

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1003[2121].jpg    34.2 KB
IMG_1003[2121].jpg

IMG_1004[2123].jpg    56.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Have you got a photo of the engine bay bulkhead?

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hi

These guys might be able to help, you need to look at the heritage certificates on their website, I believe that their archive holds the records from the Morris factories from the day cars were signed off.
I hope this of help.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive

Cheers Johnny smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 04:36 AM by johnnyw637.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
Found this article. Your car was assembled in Zetland, NSW a suburb of Sydney. From what I have read, there are no records for dates of production by car number, but not sure on that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Motor_Corporation_(Australia)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 01:27 PM by bufferzone.

Hi Graham,

Your car with the flat head side valve engine is a MM series car from what I have read and know about. The Morris Minor was exported (CKD) to Australia very early in the manufacturing of the Morris Minor and assembled with local parts and labor.
The only thing that I'm able to find is that the Series MM from 1948 to 1953 was, the split bumper was discontinued Jan 1951 and it had a production number starting at 5 digits 81501 for LHD and 6 digits 832024 for RHD, so without a split bumper and all of the numbers on your plate not matching these records, that's a bust. The first CKD (Completely Knocked Down) vehicle with the overhead valve engine was in Sept.1952 #159190 which also does not quite fit your tag. Your car does have the longer bonnet which was introduced Aug.1951 #109699 so that puts yours after that since you have a longer bonnet. You do have numbers #114180 that are close to this reference so maybe it's a start.

This information is from the Original Morris Minor book, by Ray Newell

What information do you have from the vehicle registration as to a date of registration? Do you know if this is the year of manufacturing or year of sale in Australia, here in some states in North America it's when sold. Any trafficators?

Great car have fun!

Keep us updated should you figure out more about the car.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Hi Rob
Here are the fire wall bulk head pictures you asked for.
What are you looking for?
Cheers
Graham

Attachments:
IMG_1028.jpg    59.9 KB
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg    58.9 KB
IMG_1026.jpg    54.9 KB
Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Hi Chris
So if the longer bonnet was from Aug 1951
And according to (http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm) the head lights are from Sep 1950 to Dec 1952 that gives us a window of Aug 51 to Dec 52. So slowly narrowing it down.

The car does have trafficators side pop outs and a small strut mounted indicator light at the back that I suspect was an Australian assembly special or added later to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR). I does have clear glass front indicators that don't really match the options on (http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm) so again maybe a locally sourced part?

Thanks for all the help.
Graham

Attachments:
IMG_1031.jpg    44.4 KB
IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg    26.2 KB
IMG_1034.jpg    31.6 KB
IMG_1036.jpg    34.2 KB
Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Hi Chris (again)
I paid for a registration and history search and it is recorded as a 1950 WHITE MORRIS SEDAN. I am dubious given the longer bonnet which has the same paint layering as the body so I assume the bonnet is original. There is no registration history prior to June 1990 when it was first registered in New South Wales.
Cheers
Graham

HI Graham,

with the Registration History and the fact that these were CKD parts assembled in Australia it could be that they had early cars and did the longer bonnet. I'd say if you have the Registry from the UK as to when and how it was put together you really have the Answer. In Ray Newells book there are comments about one offs of this and that during changes of manufacturing at given dates so as a kit that may be the best you can do.

Good luck and keep us posted!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The long versus short bonnet is not a simple panel change. The short bonnet has an extended cowl of which the longer bonnet matches the profile. It's a major structural change. How far back can you trace your 1950 registration? Perhaps someone used an older identification on a slightly newer car.

The front side lights probably were changed to incorporate dual filament bulb for turn indicators which is a different socket and rubber boot that accepts that style of lens and chrome ring.

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, CA, USA   USA
If your windows are original, this glass dating may also help with narrowing the date of manufacture:

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Glass.htm

Thanks Jim for the clarification. I didn't think about that with my comment missed that one. You are the king of knowledge and I appreciate you keeping this information correct. Good place to check Gord, one I would not have thought of!

Keep us posted Graham !

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 34710 by bufferzone Found this article. Your car was assembled in Zetland, NSW a suburb of Sydney. From what I have read, there are no records for dates of production by car number, but not sure on that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Motor_Corporation_(Australia)

I would still check with these guys as it is one of the best heritage centres in the UK and is based at the centre of the old British Car industry
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive

Johnny smileys with beer

Stitchjones Avatar
Stitchjones Graham Jones
Hi John and all following...
I have taken your advice and requested a Heritage Certificate from the British Motor Museum.
I will let you know what comes back.
Cheers
Graham

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Graham,

I hope it comes up trumps for you.

All the best Johnny

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links