Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dgilling Dave Gillingham
Coronado, CA, USA   USA
Hello:

I suspect this is not a unique question, but does anybody know where I can find the above pieces? My bonnet is savable, and I have a pretty trashed crossmember, but I am missing the stiffening rods, and anti-drum piece. I think I can repair the crossmember and weld it back in. Worst case, I could probably fabricate the stiffeners - not sure about the anti-drum part.

Will somebody send me a picture of the stiffeners and antidru, art installed?

Thanks,

Dave Gillingham

Dave Gillingham
59 Morris Traveler
Coronado, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR

Attachments:
ferd 01.jpg    20.3 KB
ferd 01.jpg

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
This picture is not totally stock but shows what I did to retain sound insulation jute padding. The aluminum strips are what retains the insulation. The factory cross member, stiffening rods, and U shaped brace are stock.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Bonnet insulation.JPG    62.2 KB
Bonnet insulation.JPG

dgilling Dave Gillingham
Coronado, CA, USA   USA
Thanks! Think I might have to do some fabricating. I was thinking of reinforcing the lips on the side of the hood by weling in some thin strips. I have three ccracks. Have you done that?

Dave Gillingham
59 Morris Traveler
Coronado, CA

John in Eugene Avatar
John in Eugene Platinum Member John Quilter
Eugene, OR, USA   USA
Unfortunately the body colored cross brace was only spot welded to the flanges at the edge of the bonnet pressing. This was because welding it to the surface of the bonnet would have caused metal distortion that would have required factory metal finishing work. These cross braces flex each time the bonnet is opened and closed and over many decades tend to break away at the edges. If you are doing a respray it is well worthwhile to reinforce these welded ends to prevent future detachment. I did this with my convertible when it was cosmetically restored 11 years ago.

John F. Quilter
Eugene, Oregon USA

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 34308 by dgilling Hello:

I suspect this is not a unique question, but does anybody know where I can find the above pieces? My bonnet is savable, and I have a pretty trashed crossmember, but I am missing the stiffening rods, and anti-drum piece. I think I can repair the crossmember and weld it back in. Worst case, I could probably fabricate the stiffeners - not sure about the anti-drum part.

Will somebody send me a picture of the stiffeners and antidru, art Which part is the anti-drum please Dave smiling smiley installed?

Thanks,

Dave Gillingham

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 01:19 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
ferd 1.JPG    77.4 KB
ferd 1.JPG

0123 Mike D

Attachments:
Ferd 3.jpg    35.5 KB
Ferd 3.jpg

minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, NC, USA   USA
I had to install a new cross member since there was none in my car when purchased. As said, they do tend to break the spot welds and fall out.

The shop drilled out the prior weld areas and plug welded the new cross piece in and then filled and repainted. I do not have "work in progress" pictures and since it is now painted there is nothing to show.

I am undecided on what material to replace the "anti-drum" piece with. Duramat or something similar??????

Good Luck!

Bob Marcum

1959 Bugeye
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex vintage Mini racer

0123 Mike D
In reply to # 34320 by minimarc I had to install a new cross member since there was none in my car when purchased. As said, they do tend to break the spot welds and fall out.

The shop drilled out the prior weld areas and plug welded the new cross piece in and then filled and repainted. I do not have "work in progress" pictures and since it is now painted there is nothing to show.

I am undecided on what material to replace the "anti-drum" piece with. Duramat or something similar?????? Glove yer mits and mask yer work, or curse

Good Luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 09:02 AM by 0123.

Attachments:
Ferd011.jpg    24.2 KB
Ferd011.jpg

Sl55per John Clegg
Manchester, Greater Manchester, UK   GBR
Mike
Have you ever used that stuff....it's awefull , maybe O.K. for filling gaps in brickwork and yes it does expand....but try removing it from anywhere no chance I had it on my hands for weeks , I think the Gorilla adhesive products are of the same formula...

Johnwinking smiley

0123 Mike D
Many times Cleggy thumbs up

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
The function of the shorter cross member is not anti-drum. It is to support the center of the hood and is adjustable up and down on the support rods to reshape the hood to match the body as needed. Of course no direct metal to metal contact, but a piece of padding in between.

0123 Mike D
How do you work out it's there to reshape the hood please Jim smiling smiley

0123 Mike D
Until Jim wrote that it was there to
"Support the center of the hood and is adjustable up and down on the support rods to reshape the hood to match the body as needed"

I'd looked on it as summat to steady
the braces between hinge and crossbar.

I reckon it do that job better
if it was glued to the bonnet.

Hence I suggested expanding foam.

If Jim is correct, I suggest you use
rubberised horsehair wadding.

Google that to find it.
Pic below.

Attachments:
Ferd.jpg    70.2 KB
Ferd.jpg

Ferd001.jpg    62.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Yup, that looks like the stuff. When adjusting the brace up or down, also loosen the hinge nut to allow movement of the brace. (large hole in the washer)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links