Bonnet crossmember, stiffening rods and anti-drum piece

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dgilling Dave Gillingham
Coronado, CA, USA   USA
I spent a chunk of the holiday yesterday refabricating one end of my cross brace, welding it in, and fixing four tears/cracks in the bonnet where the cross brace mounts. I had forgotten how hard it is to weld thin sheet metal! Fabricating stiffening rods next. Will consider the horsehair or something else later!

Dave Gillingham
59 Morris Traveler
Coronado, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
What were you welding with please Dave yawning smiley)

dgilling Dave Gillingham
Coronado, CA, USA   USA
MIG on a very low setting .024 wire

Dave Gillingham
59 Morris Traveler
Coronado, CA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Yers, very challenging sad smiley

dgilling Dave Gillingham
Coronado, CA, USA   USA
So, I decided to cannibalize my 59 4-door for the stiffening rods and damper. Once I have them out (which looks exciting) I think I will see if a (not too proud of themselves) fab shop can duplicate them. My 4-door needs a refabbed cross-brace too.

One other thought I had was to possibly fab a new cross-brace with wider points of attachment to the bonnet. Might keep the bonnet from flexing so much. Thoughts?

Dave Gillingham
59 Morris Traveler
Coronado, CA

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
One of t he weaker spots on the bonnet is along the front edge. In the center they narrowed the flange and they they start to tear at the ends of the narrower flange due to flexing. A loose cross member doesn't help. I weld in a 1/8 to 1/3in piece of wire to re-enforce the edge, bridging from the wider flange to the other side..

0123 Mike D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 10:27 AM by 0123.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Morris Minor 1000 Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links