Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

timcloake tim cloake
rolleston, New Zealand   NZL
Hello everyone
I have just recently had the all go on a restoration project with my granddad on a Morris Minor van.
I'm 15 and this will be my first car ever to own and its pretty exciting that its going to be a Morris, the car has been down the shed just sitting for a good 15 years now and from light inspection the verdict is, brakes need replacing the exhaust is fine the engine seems to be in reasonable nick and my granddad thinks it should start first pop ..... maybe.Anyway the wheels are fine small areas of rust around the roof and below all the doors. my granddad believes that the paint job is possibly original so i haven't really decided if i want to change it yet.not to sure about the shocks or anything because i dont really know how to tell if there's anything actually wrong with them, the whole interior is in good condition too so all over i'm really happy with the state of it and glad that it isn't going to take a too bigger chunk from my wallet to have it a full quality condition. Me nor granddad are to sure of its age so i got the serial number of the car and with a bit of luck i'm hoping someone on this forum could tell me or at least point me in the right direction hopefully smiling smiley
the serial number is : 247542

cheers
timcloake

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
David53 Avatar
David53 David Hines
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Hi

This car will have been made between Feb 54 and Jun 54.

Cheers

jonnywebster Jonny W
Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
1951 Morris Minor "Boris"
Yup, it's a '54 (http://www.auto-part.com/auto/shop/vin.asp). Btw, you can check the original paint colour, as there is a letter code on the engine bay chassis plate. Yours should be F (for Morris Minor) E (for Van) and then another letter (e.g. L = Light Blue). Check http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Chassis.htm for the full list and you should be able to work out whether the paint is original or not. Another way is to take a panel off and see what's underneath (the dashboard plate is relatively painless)!! There should also be 2 numbers after the three letters - the first tells you whether it was built at Cowley and shipped here (No. 2 - unlikely!) or shipped here in bits (as a Completely Knocked Down kit) and built here (probably at Dominion Motors in Newmarket) - which would be the No. 5. The Second letter tells you the type of paint job it was given...

Got any pix?
Jonny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
timcloake tim cloake
hey thanks JonnyW and David and that's really helpful ill defiantly check that all out tomorrow.
pictures are quite difficult to get at, at the moment as its cramped in between my granddads multiple stationary engines and a few other Morris's one behind and next to it but ill defiantly put some photos up tomorrow the best i can
cheers
timcloake

timcloake tim cloake
hello everyone
so today granddad and i went down to the Morris and checked all the numbers on the engine bay plates the number given earlier is the correct one and then another below show : BSAU48-1965, we think that this is the seat belt anchorage creditation .
Granddad believes that the Morris is late 1960's as it has the factory fitted 1100 engine.
Do the vans have their own consecutive chassis numbers?
the colour is light blue and is original.
we have taken a couple of photos and will add them later on.

cheers
timcloake

timcloake tim cloake
These are the pictures of the Morris van
enjoy
cheers
timcloake

Attachments:
Morris van 002.jpg    29.4 KB
Morris van 002.jpg

Morris van 001.jpg    22.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
David53 Avatar
David53 David Hines
Sydney, Australia   AUS
OK, well that's a 1000, so it can't be 1954 which would be a Series II Split Screen. Are you sure you have read the number correctly?

timcloake tim cloake
hey the number is in the photo above.
the very last of the vans were fitted with 1100 motors, we understand the vans continued after the 1000's were discontinued.
we know the whole history of the Morris but not when it was made, my granddad was the second owner,the previous owner used it as a dry cleaning delivery van. All records are lost

cheers
timcloake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 07:39 PM by timcloake.

timcloake tim cloake
ian k ian knight
levin, New Zealand   NZL
great choice for a first car tim. russ harvey over in the uk is a minor nut, who has two vans and also looks after the LCV ( light commercial vehicle ) register with vans from around the world on the list. he is also the editor of Minor Monthly magazine wich is currently out of print until they find another publisher ( a bloody good read ). email: editor @ minormonthly.co.uk. he should be able to tell you what you want to know.

timcloake tim cloake
hey thanks ian
i will defiantly get in contact with him, he sounds like a helpful man to know
cheers
timcloake

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
hi there Tim
that's one amazing shed, full of interesting stuff.
Mine is the same, but not so many morries.
Get stuck into the restoration and enjoy yourself.
It will cost you double what you think so be prepared to get a part time job, preferably where they PRINT money....
post up more pics the better, you are one lucky young man to say the least, good luck

Cheers
Peter

pixelsmithusa Avatar
In reply to # 479 by timcloake Hello everyone
I have just recently had the all go on a restoration project with my granddad on a Morris Minor van.---

the serial number is : 247542

cheers
timcloake

Hello Tim,

What a fine first project for you. It will be something memorable for you in days to come. Don't be surprised if things turn more complicated as you get deeper into it though. I've had a Morris pickup for 12 years and getting near the end of a frame off restoration I started about 4-5 years ago.

The error other made in telling you is a '54 is that they were referencing the car serial numbers. LCV's have their own number sequencing and 247542 would be a mid 1968 model.

Cheers, and keep posting with your progress.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-12 12:46 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
DSCF7122sml.jpg    28.5 KB
DSCF7122sml.jpg

timcloake tim cloake
hi everyone

hopefully it shouldn't be too pricey, I have a part-time job at countdown in rolleston so that should keep the money issues sorted haha.
yeah my granddad has a tonne of engines in all sizes and from all time frames. He also has a late 60s or early 70s rover that he plans to restore in the winter aswell as helping me....hes gonna be a busy man.
now about pictures, the Morris is located in timaru and I live in rolleston so ill put as much pictures and posts about my progress when im down there. but for the meantime im working hard and earning lots of money for the restoration.
hey Gerard your Morris looking great, shouldn't be long now smiling smiley

cheers
timcloake

tappetTwo pete kd
hillview, nsw, Australia   AUS
hi great looking Ute project.
what are you going to do with the back tray?
use an original tray or build a nice custom hardwood one?eye rolling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Morris Minor Series II Saloon 4 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links