AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

0123 Mike D
Biddulph, Staffs, UK   GBR
You are correct Donnie thumbs up
You didn't ask about the mods you needed to make
to make up for a changing your timing chain case.

Jim and I are out of order for chatting about them sad smiley
Please forgive us smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
auster Avatar
auster Stephen S
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
When I did this a couple of years ago I think I cut the canister off, sealed the hole or pipe stub) and soldered on another pipe in a benign convenient place in the the timing chain cover for the crankcase ventilation.

doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
Jim from British Auto Parts clued me in to the fact the 948 timing cover has a felt seal as opposed to the later covers having the updated seal. He also said some fellows would bash the canister in and some guys would slice it the way Jim English suggested. I took the easy route and carefully reshaped the canister with a body hammer and block of wood. It did not take much and now the fan clears. If anyone is interested I used the Midget water pump pulley and the Morris fan and it all works.

Thanks for the replies

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
0123 Mike D
Please would you kindly post some pics Stephen smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-20 01:28 AM by 0123.

0123 Mike D
Please would you kindly post some pics Donnie smiling smiley

auster Avatar
auster Stephen S
i no longer own the car (which was a 1950 sv low light) but i have found a few photographs and will send them within the next couple of days.

auster Avatar
auster Stephen S
Sorry to take so long to reply about the Morris Minor question. My computer has been down.

A few years ago I purchased a recently fully restored 1950 low light tourer complete with sv engine of a whole 27 bhp. It was delightful but I found it woefully underpowered for modern traffic.
I thus purchased an ex US Sprite motor of 1275 cc and installed it in the Morris. It was in many cases necessary, and in others desirable, to upgrade to Minor 1000 specs along the way. I also fitted 9” Morris Major brakes to the front.

One picture shows the original engine as purchased. It has the cylindrical canister attached to the timing chain cover. It was of course removed to make the engine fit. Another picture shows that the hole left in the timing chain case was soldered up to make it air/oil tight. I think it is the disturbance over the hub of the camshaft
A third picture shows the ½” copper tube soldered into the side of the cover to connect for crankcase ventilation. It is just visible under the water pump. A PCV valve was inserted into the line as depicted in another photo to deal with crankcase ventilation.

For some reason this set up did not work. The crankcase seemed to be pressurized and I tried all kinds of things to fix it. These included fitting catch tanks, removing the PCV valve, plugging the timing case spigot and tapping the crankcase as well as numerous other ploys.
The problem was improved but never finally cured when I sold the car. It may be that it had a broken piston ring. I had read of other owners on the forum who had crankcase pressure problems but no definitive solution.

At the moment I am rebuilding a Datsun 1200 engine to install in another as yet unpurchased Morris Minor.

Attachments:
212.jpg    48.6 KB
212.jpg

245.jpg    41.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
244.jpg    37 KB
317.jpg    60.4 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon 2 door

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links