Smoothcase gearbox needed. [CA, USA]

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

My Morris IAN COULSON
BOULDER CREEK, CA, USA   USA
I have a newly reconditioned 1960 Morris Minor gearbox that's decided to start jumping out of third after only 10,000 miles.

Therefore I'm in need to repair the current box or find a decent replacement. Can anyone help me here?

Regards. ian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hi Ian,

For the year of your vehicle a smooth case transmission is what came with the 948cc engine. If you have the larger 1098cc engine, then you should consider a ribbed case transmission for better performance, gearing, and replacement parts, not cheap but available.
I have a older posting ( https://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/read.php?2,29291 ) about being able to transfer the ribbed case parts into the smooth case transmission but there is extra work that needs to be done to do that, which is out of the home shop mechanic's normal field of work, not saying it cant be done, just needs machining and other modifications to fit it all together.

There are rebuilt ones if you google re-manufactured but I'm not sure of the work or reliability of these. In the UK there is supposed to be repair shops that do these, but you would need to check it out with UK members from here and their input.

Good luck and keep us informed as to the outcome of your fixes.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

emjay Jim English
Etters, PA, USA   USA
Jumping out of third could simply be a missing dedent that someone missed and didn't replace, or it could be a broken or damage brass snychro ring. If first is not overly noisy finding a used third speed wheel is not too hard, but it's been know to happen of the gearbox rejecting transplants and some other gear may break. Pulling gearboxes apart is not a nasty activity but not everyone whats to do it multiple times. Recently on ebay two individuals were selling a complete set of smooth case innards. One was NOS and one was used but sold by an expert.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ian Cox Avatar
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Hello Ian
I'm in Victoria British Columbia Canada ( West Coast) and have a couple of smooth case transmissions I'd be happy to send your way.
Ian

jjordanSC James Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
Hi Ian
I live close by in Santa Cruz, if you are still in need of a transmission give me a call.
Jim 831-818-8403

jjordanSC James Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
Hi Ian
I live in Northern California and have about 8 to 10 smooth and web tranny’s that are complete and another 5 to 7 baskets Do you have any interest?
Jim Jordan 831-818-8403

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Morris Mini Cooper

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links