Marina hubs Minor wheels

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dorsetdave Dave Walker
St. Leonards, Dorset, UK   GBR
I have bought a Minor automatic. It uses a late Marina set up including the rear axle and front disc brake suspension. It is on Marina wheels and I want to change them to Minor ones. I seem to recall that Owen Burton did some sort of conversion some years ago.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks for looking.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
They plug the stud holes and drill new holes at an offset. Alternatively, you can buy new hubs from ESM that are already done. Changing the rear PCD will be harder.

Do you have 4.5 or 3.75 inch PCD? If it is 4.5 I can do an exchange with you.

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
What's the point please Dave confused smiley

How much have you got to spend?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Dave. Montegos had steel wheels with the Marina 3.75 inch PCD and 14 inch rims. You'd need to find hubcaps to fit.

You're not the same Dave in St Leonards who had an old Austin, circa 1930, called Sarah?

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
Re-re-reading the first post...it might be easiest to replace the back axle with a Minor one and then just buy some new ready-converted Marina hubs and a set of Minor wheels and nuts etc. Changing the Marina rear PCD isn't all that easy. I have a set of pre-converted front hubs here, Dave. I'm in Cardiff but have family in Wimborne/Sturminster.

Rob

Dorsetdave Dave Walker
Hello, I do indeed have a Morris Cowley called Sarah. It's still giving me as much grief as ever! Hsve we met?
Thanks for the thoughts on the problem.
I want the car to look as original as possible, hence the Minor wheels.
I used to own a pick-up that used a Marina rear axle and Minor wheels. I think that it had Marina rear brakes but Minor hubs. The Marina holes in the drums had been crudely opened out. I was thinking of a neater solution if possible.
The Garage that is fitting the power steering phoned on Friday to confirm that the power steering is now fitted but the car is not here yet. I think that the components are from a 1979 Marina but I cannot give the pcd until it arrives.

I will be in touch once the car is delivered.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Dave

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
My wife and I were quite close friends with Kieth and Carol Briggs when we lived in Wimborne. I think Keith sent us down one day (25 years ago????) to have a look at 'Sarah'. Small world, innit? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

0123 Mike D
What size tyres do you wish to fit please Dave?

usmh3 Avatar
usmh3 Rob Thomas
Cardiff, Wales, UK   GBR
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/brakes-c42/front-disc-brakes-c45/marina-front-hub-new-minor-4-pcd-with-bearings-studs-seal-p829471

2 of these, 4 Minor wheels and replace the rear axle with a Minor one. Beyond that you'd be looking at some fancy and possibly expensive engineering to get Minor wheels on.

MGF steel spare wheels are another possibility if you are happy with 14 inch rims that are not quite the same shape as Minor wheels but fill the arches better.

Attachments:
mara.jpg    43.2 KB
mara.jpg

0123 Mike D
Last I heard, he wanted it to look original Rob.

Dorsetdave Dave Walker
Firstly, thanks for everyone's help in this matter. It's much appreciated. I really would prefer to stay with the original wheels and 155X14 tyres. It does really look wrong with 1978/9 Marina wheels. I hoped that the reversion would not be too much of an issue after my experience with my Marina axled pick-up. I should have taken more details when I owned it!

Just as an aside, the garage up in Lincolnshire has fitted the electric power steering from a Corsa C. In the past there has, apparently, been a problem with fitting this to a Minor as the Corsa normally takes the speed from the car to adjust the amount of assistance. In the past a manual switch has been fitted to overcome this. I found, on line,a piece of kit from Portugal that works out the difference between the amount of effort that you put on the wheel and the resistance at the rack end. It then adjusts the amount of assistance . According to the Garage it looks as if it is acceptable.

When the car arrives back in Dorset (probably another couple of weeks) I could take some pictures if anyone is interested.

0123 Mike D
I had electric power steering
fittined to a Renault camper van.

It was horrible to drive afterwards.
Much nicer before it was converted.
If a little too heavy for my gorgeous wife smiling smiley

Dorsetdave Dave Walker
Was it because of the excess of assistance at more than parking speeds? If so it may be that the "Portuguese" software could assist. I have owned classic American cars in the past that were unpleasant to drive at any sort of speed. Parking was great though.

If it is a disaster it will be easy enough to return the Minor to standard.

0123 Mike D
It took the pleasure / feel / fun out of driving it.
Even when parking.

It became a gert numb lump even at low speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 01:56 PM by 0123.

Vigil Craig Vigil
Fountain Valley, Southern California, USA   USA
very interesting

VIGIL

The Morris registry club. It is $20 to join in the USA.
http://morrisminor.intuitwebsites.com/

Morris Motors group on Yahoo
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/morris_motors/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 01:26 PM by Vigil.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 Morris Minor Pickup

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links