Electronic Ignition

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

molliemog Bernard Owen
Barwell, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Hi, I am thinking of converting my 1961 MM 1000 to electronic ignition would there be any benefit from this and how easy is it to do.
Thanks, Bernard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
There are a couple of ways to do the conversion. One is to replace the points in your existing distributor with the retro fit parts. The key here is the existing dist must be in good condition. The other is to get a dist that has the conversion already installed. The rest is easy. I have both Pertronix and Accuspark. Both work well. The other thing is you will need to replace the existing solid core wires with modern resistor/carbon wires. The RFI from the solid core wires will make any electronic ignition do crazy things. Also most conversions require a 3 ohm coil. Chances your original coil is 3 ohm. I'm sure you will hear from the nay sayers about converting. I personally like the electronic conversions for my cars.

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

shoebone Stuart F
tempe, arizona, USA   USA
I agree with Charles, fitted Accuspark and never looked back, had no trouble. I've still got the original solid wires too but no crazy stuff happening

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
T ferg Silver Member Tony Ferguson
Harrison, Tennessee, USA   USA
I have a 67 saloon that has an irregular miss, and am wondering about the electronic conversion for the points and condenser, but I'm not sure the condition of the distributor, can you expound on what to look for to qualify my distributor for the conversion

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Tony,

Just look for general wear such as warn.loose bushings and sloppy mechanical advance parts. Warn and sloppy parts will cause all sorts of issues with points. An electronic conversion can mask those issues. I just got a replacement dizzy with the electronics already installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morris-Minor-25D-Ultimate-Electronic-Ignition-Performance-Pack-Viper-Dry-Coil/331977743002?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D10d24545c4ae445b8a4bcde90a404e9f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D391569153517&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

If it was good 60 years ago, does that mean it can't be improved?

0123 Mike D
Biddulp, Staffs, UK   GBR
Cheap enough to give it a go I suppose thumbs up
Especially if your old distributor is knacked.sad smiley

You still have the voltage
drop between battery and
coil dragging your spark down.

Either way, it's well worth using a
relay to supply power to your coil thumbs up

In reply to # 26537 by geezer Tony,

Just look for general wear such as warn.loose bushings and sloppy mechanical advance parts. Warn and sloppy parts will cause all sorts of issues with points. An electronic conversion can mask those issues. I just got a replacement dizzy with the electronics already installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morris-Minor-25D-Ultimate-Electronic-Ignition-Performance-Pack-Viper-Dry-Coil/331977743002?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D10d24545c4ae445b8a4bcde90a404e9f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D391569153517&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

0123 Mike D
1.75 volt drop between battery
and coil on the Minor outside thumbs up

Headlights and heater on.

Sidelights are LED.
So a slight saving.

Say 10,500 at the plug
instead of 12,000 volts
all for lack of a relay.sad smiley

Happily, it starts and pulls well thumbs up
Which makes me wonder about the
alleged advantage of electronic ignition confused smiley

easydiver Mike Adams
Bear, Delaware, USA   USA
If a electronic ignition goes bad out on the road, you will not get running again without new electronic ignition parts. With the points setup, you have pretty good chance that you can get running again. Closed up points can just be readjusted. Dirty points can be cleaned. I carry a spare distributor that is ready to go. Very easy to swap them out and be on your way.

53morrisminor Avatar
53morrisminor Harold DeMoss
Oakland, CA - California, USA   USA
I've used electronic ignitions on a couple of my BMC cars--although I wondered that for $95 or so, was it money well spent--recently, I'v had
2 Petronix ignitions fail--so I've gone to "points" for my current car. I used points for MG Midgets, Austins, Morris Minors for the past
30 years or so--points are simple, cheap, and easy to set the timing-- The "adverts" say "replace those troublesome and fussy points". I don't see
it that way.--
The points are cheap--4 bucks or so, and for the 2000 miles (or less) that I drive, I can very easily check for any pitting or dirty points, and check
the timing--Beside we need to "tinker" with a British car often--just to keep your interest up--

I don't want a collector car (British) to be like my Honda Fit--75,000 miles--take it to the Honda dealer for the schedule service--and
never worry about it--I've never had a problem--I don't think I know how to open the hood--

0123 Mike D
Hear hear Old Chap

bufferzone Avatar
bufferzone Gord Smith-Ritchie
Surfside Colony, California, USA   USA
On the flip side, the PO converted old distributor to Accuspark electronic 17 years ago. I’ve owned the Trav for 5 years and drive it a lot and have had no problems at all with the electronics.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1948 Morris Minor Traveller

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links